PS doesn't work properly

Reaction score
PSU doesn't work properly

Hello, I'm new here.

I have a problem that's really starting to irritate me. I hope there's nothing wrong if I ask you about it. A few days ago I bought a 420W Tagan power supply. When I had connected the cables inside the case, plugged the power cable in and turned the PSU on I noticed a sound inside the device. It sounded like electronic particles jumping from one location to another. This started to occur at a high speed everytime when I had turned the PSU on or shut the computer down, then it slowed down and sounded like falling drops of water. Yesterday I took the PSU back to the shop where they immediately gave me a new one. I came home , connected it, turned it on and there was the same thing again. Do you think there may be something wrong with my computer so that it damages the PSU the very moment when I turn it on for the first time (the PSU, not the computer)? I'm afraid that the chances of getting two defect Tagan power supplies one after another should be very low. When computer is working everything seems to be ok. The 400W Mercury PSU I had before was working fine, but I changed because voltages were not very stable. If anyone has the idea of what could be the problem please tell.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you say PS do you meen...

PSU (power supply unit)
or
PC (personal computer)?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
unlucky1 said:
It sounded like electronic particles jumping from one location to another

do you mean it sounded like the power was arcing between two points ?

tagan have their own tech support that deal with faulty components email them (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
No, it's more like come component of the PSU is unable to retain electric charge and the charge is dissipating. Or like something is filling with charge (I'm not really an expert for electricity). Thanks for the link.

Ask a Question