New Power Supply

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread, on Sunday evening one of my computers just shut off. After a few tests I figured it was the power supply, a 480W Tagan. My biggest worry was that the power supply blowing may have damaged other components.

After a little shopping around I decided to order a Corsair 650W non-modular PSU from Scan. The PSU because I didn't need a modular one as there was no window in the case, an Antec Sonata, and ample room to tuck leads I didn't need out of the way.

And Scan because their price was competitive and as a long standing member of the Hexus forums I get free postage at Scan. I ordered the PSU late Sunday evening. I also ordered a KVM switch for the two machines in my bedroom.

Monday morning 10am, Scan acknowledged my order. There followed four more e-mails during the day from Scan, detailing each stage of the order, culminating at 4.30pm saying the goods had been despatched. I was able to track the order at City Link's website.

At 11.18am today (Tuesday) the goods arrived and I set to installing the new PSU.

As you can see from the pix I had to remove my Noctua cooler to swap PSU's, which is a bit of a pain. In some cases you have a removable back plate for the PSU but not with the Antec Sonata.

Here's my machine minus the PSU and CPU cooler:

attachment.php

attachment.php

My Heatsink fitted with two Noctua fans in a push-pull combo, it comes with one fan as standard and I added another. It works well.

attachment.php

Here's my shiny new PSU (well, actually, it ain't shiny at all ;) :

attachment.php

And here's the PSU fitted:

attachment.php

Never mind the 'one dollop and twist' technique, I prefer to spread it all over. Arctic silver applied to CPU. It looks thicker in this pic than it actually is.

attachment.php

And the cooler refitted:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Connected everything up, switched on, held my breath and.......

.....yay! Everything's alright :)

Phew.

The Corsair is quieter than the Tagan, I notice. The Tagan that died was three and a half years old and was the one I reveiewed for this forum. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I mentioned Scan's order in detail as I was quite impressed with their service, they've improved. They also give a phone number which is reassuring.

As for Power supplies, I'm sold on Corsairs now, I think they're great. I've had two or three Antec PSU's die on me (can't remember if it was 2 or 3 but at least 2) and one Jeantech Arctic modular, which I managed to repair myself and is still in use (I had to bypass the fan regulation, I think, and hardwired the fan to the 12V rail).

In my media machine I have a hardy little no frills 350W Jeantech PSU purchased from PC World around five years ago.

C'est La Vie say the old folk it goes to show you never can tell....

Attachments

• 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 775
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 797
  • 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 757
  • 0012.jpg
    0012.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 731
  • 0013.jpg
    0013.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 763
  • 0021.jpg
    0021.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 815
  • 0028.jpg
    0028.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 769
  • 0029.jpg
    0029.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 770
Reaction score
Hi Flopps,

I like the pictures thay are really good. Can you let me know what make and model your CPU cooller is as I really want one :)

Thanks,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Flopps,

I like the pictures thay are really good. Can you let me know what make and model your CPU cooller is as I really want one :)

Thanks,

Wiz

They don't actually make that one anymore but here's a link to their latest offering, it's meant to be an improvement on the one I have.

Noctua

Be warned though, it's huge and it's expensive.

It's also the best CPU cooler I've ever owned, and I've used a few.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice pics Flops :thumb: - I like the way the drive bays are layed out in the Antec Sonata. I've got a Thermaltake Soprano, and the drives slide in from the direction of the HSF which is a real pain in the arse if you need to switch drives over. ;)

My PSU gave up a couple of months ago, went for a PCP&C one which will hopefully last longer this time :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
PCP&C PSU's have/had a great reputation in the US - we never used to really get them over here, but I think they were taken over by someone last year (OCZ?) and thats why we see more of them now.

Reaction score
Nice pictures mate guess what? I got the exact same PSU, same noctua fans and your heatsink looks the same.

Even more coincidental I also got a tagan PSU and it is also 480W I had that thing running for 3 years easily. Right now when I turn it on it makes a funny noise. I will probably get rid of it.

Ask a Question