prolong the life of electronics and bearings

Paul

and I will ask you the same question. Never?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I used to like to say never say never (as in cognitive therapy/self help)
Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more
Paul said:
ok, my turn to off topic. ref: "applies it to everything"

I will never forget my grade school science teacher who said (while
speaking
of scientific and natural laws) "If someone says "always" or "never" they
are wrong, because there are exceptions to everything". To this I said "It
that ALWAYS true?"

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
He is 1/2 right but becomes wrong once he applies it to everything.

Paul

and if it had not been turned off the last time, it maybe would still be
burning. The last straw you say. And I say reducing the frequency of adding
straws will increase the time it takes to reach the last straw. duh....

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Because they are damaged and the filiment is of uneven thickness so the thin
parts heat up quickly and burn up.

I sold electrical equipment for many years. Lighting, motor control, cable,
fuzes etc (my biggest sale was in 1986 of $500,000 for connectors to join
the NW Shelf project together). Have attended many a training session incl
one on the common light bulb (run by the one Australian factory, owned
jointly by all lighting comp, that makes all aust bulbs of whatever brand)
around 1980.

I haven't seen this on the internet. But it's to do with how tungston (in
gas) reforms arond what is left of the filliment on turn off (or something
like that. Note when it blows it blows from uneven heat from power on. But
this is just the final straw - it reached the end of it's rated life.

Paul

Yes I have counted, but I should have said 95+%.

That's 19 times out of twenty. Easily confirmable. I think that I was
actually up to 37 power-on burn-outs prior to a non-power-on burn-out. This
was when I was a kid. Recently I admit that I have not been counting, but I
have been observing and it is easily in the twenties or thirties before I
get one that just burns-out during steady state illumination.

Now, I also have a filament bulb on a dimmer switch and I always dim it
before offing, and on it before un-dimming. This is how it behaves:
1-It does last much longer than other bulls in the house and it is part of a
fan, so it does wiggle.
2-When it burns out, it still does it at power on.

So, gradual power-on stresses it, but not as much as rapid power-on.

David Candy

Borg hater

The hybrid has two engines. A typical internal combustion engine, and a
generator/electric motor combo. Typically, an internal combustion engine
will wear more upon immediate start due to lack of lubrication in critical
areas at that instant in time. Today's lubricants have influenced this to
be less of a factor. How all of this factors in with a hybrid with typical
use remains to be seen as far as having to replace the internal combustion
engine due to wear at lower observed mileage.

A further question, is the 50K miles replacement estimate use on the
internal combustion engine itself or 50K miles on the car which includes the
generator/electric motor?

Borg hater

Reply inserted in yours below.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
Paul said:
hybrid has one engine and one motor.

Yep, that's essentially what I said.
50k of engine use.

How does one determine that in a hybrid?

Paul

Lets make this simple. Is it better for the life of the electronics, HDD
bearing, and/or monitor to turn all off or put into standby if I will not be
using pc over night?

paul

Leythos

Lets make this simple. Is it better for the life of the electronics, HDD
bearing,

Since the drive will not be powered on during standby or Off, there is
no difference.
and/or monitor to turn all off or put into standby

The monitor, if a new unit (not more than 4 years old) will auto sleep
after XX minutes and be the same as powered off for the CRT portion.
if I will not be
using pc over night?

I have numerous systems in my home, I never turn them off, not even the
monitors, and I've not had any of them fail (except for the FAN's in the
PSU's) in 6+ years. I've had some I killed, but it had nothing to do
with leaving them running all the time.

I have one Dual Celeron system, and ABIT BP6, that has been running non-
stop for more than 5 years - the only time it's been shut off was during
the power outage when I didn't have enough gas for the generator.

Bob I

In reality the equipment will be long obsolete before your "life
enhancing" endeavors will see a return. So to make it simple, it won't
make a twit of difference.

R. McCarty

If an Electron falls in the forest does....
I turn mine off every night and back on 1st thing every morning.
With it on in my home office and the lights off, it looks like a NASA
control board with all the LEDs illuminated. I don't really think about
stressing or whatever - just using Electricity I don't need to. My light
bill is high enough already and I don't want my utility to have to
pull some more control rods on the neighborhood Nuclear plant to
keep my PC idling. You can discuss thermal expansion and all that
but it's simply a personal choice. If you want quicker access, let it
Hibernate or Suspend. If you're not going to use it - turn it off.

Paul

too late. It is already obs. So was last system, but I had to update 2 years
ago because of an electronics failure on my 5 year old board. The board that
I bought 2 years ago was already out of production when I bought it. My HDD
was updated 3 years ago, because it got too small. The old HDD was 4 years
old. This new HDD is large enough that I do not see that happening again, at
least not for awhile. It is now 20% full.

I have also had memory and CD drive failures.

Bob I

The problem with excess space on your new HD will be fixed shortly due
to expanded broadband access and speeds.

Plato

Paul said:
Lets make this simple. Is it better for the life of the electronics, HDD
bearing, and/or monitor to turn all off or put into standby if I will not be
using pc over night?

CRT monitors last longer if you turn them off at night. For the pc, it
doesnt matter, in theory. However, pcs suck in dust, and the dust/grime
gets on the cpu fans, any other fans, and in the cpu heatsink. The more
you have your pc on, the more dust you get. If your pc is on the floor
you will get 4 times the dust/grime than if your pc is on a table or
desk.

Alturas

Since the drive will not be powered on during standby or Off, there is
no difference.

The monitor, if a new unit (not more than 4 years old) will auto sleep
after XX minutes and be the same as powered off for the CRT portion.

I have numerous systems in my home, I never turn them off, not even the
monitors, and I've not had any of them fail (except for the FAN's in the
PSU's) in 6+ years. I've had some I killed, but it had nothing to do
with leaving them running all the time.

I have one Dual Celeron system, and ABIT BP6, that has been running non-
stop for more than 5 years - the only time it's been shut off was during
the power outage when I didn't have enough gas for the generator.

Millions doing the same thing is exactly why they're about to drill
for oil in ANWR. People think nothing of conservation until forced to.

Rated duty cycles of hard drives are more than sufficient for turning
it on and off each day, in my opinion.

Alturas