Project London !!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Eat your heart out Hollywood and weep your day is done.

Using all FREE open source software a group of folk from around the globe have created a movie with special effects that match any produced by commercial means.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/visual-effects-for-project-london-made.html

"Project London movie is the triumph of community spirit, togetherness or whatever you call it over money. A team of online volunteers using free software, created the movie, Project London, with as many as 650 VFX shots! Isn't that awesome?Project London is an independent, no-budget, feature-length, live action movie with vivid, intense, and marrow-vibrating visual effects and animations created with the open source software Blender (and other traditional software) and 250 (or so) worldwide volunteers.

Despite featuring the same volume of digital effects work as its mainstream counterparts, the upcoming sci-fi thriller was post-produced by a small team of volunteers working remotely via the internet.

Even more surprisingly, the effects were created not in industry-standard tools such as Autodesk Maya or Softimage, but Blender: an open-source 3D animation package. Movie director and VFX supervisor Ian Hubert says, tapping into Blender’s large online community of volunteer artists had huge benefits for the movie. Read the full interview of Ian Hubert at Jasontv. It's good to see that, our beloved open source Blender is slowly gaining momentum. Watch the trailer."

An an even better trailer here,

Now if our government spent the same amount of money , as they do on the "piracy problem", supporting projects like this and getting folk in the UK involved what do you think the outcome would be ?

;)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The real question should be 'Is the movie any good?' ;)

It's one thing for 250 volunteers to create a whole myriad of special effects but does the film have a good storyline and does it entertain?

Let's suppose the movie is a success at the box office and the organisers say 'let's make another one'.

They turn to their 250 volunteers and most of the volunteers realise somebody has made a few bob from their project but not them and so demand a fee.

So the organisers get more volunteers and surreptitously pay them a small fee for the second movie. And so on.

When you enter the commercial world you'll never overcome human nature. Unless, maybe, you re-create the CCCP.

This whole Windows vs Linux thing does throw up some extremely passionate nonsense on both sides of the fence. Both os's have their place, neither is better than the other for a whole bunch of reasons including cost, user-friendliness and gaming, to name just a few.

And Mac's OSX also has it's place, I have absolutely no idea what the Mac OS is like but I do hear good things about it.

As most regulars here know I've been trying to make Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu, my regular OS and a Windows substitute for the last few months. No way, no way at all will it work so far. I have about 80% of things I do in Windows covered but the other 20% I can't do - and want to do - just leaves me feeling disappointed and frustrated.

Ok, we'll temper that with the fact it hasn't cost me a penny but still, it does say to me that people who say Linux is better than Windows are talking from their nether regions.

Linux has progressed a great deal in the last 24 months and I dare say it will get better, unless, of course, there's a commercial awakening and backlash within the open source community. For the moment I'm using both Windows and Mint and the 80% of Windows tasks I can complete in Linux makes me very happy indeed.

But Linux as a full substitute for Windows?

Not yet but maybe sooner than we think.

In the meantime beware of geeks with more enthusiasm than realisation and know that, for the average user, Linux hasn't quite caught up with Windows.

The above comments are merely my personal point of view and are based on the last few months of my experience.

In time, with experimentation and a shedload of patience, I may change my tune.

And as a final comment I'll say that if all you want to do on a computer is office work, surf the net, use e-mail, view and edit photos and play music and movies, then Linux is for you. Step out of those clearly defined areas and you're in unknown, uncharted and muddy waters.

Disclaimer: IMO ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
EvanDavis said:
Erm I think you will find the hollywood studios using Linux for movies aswell :)

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/dcc/revfeat/video_linux_hollywood/

Ta fer that link. I have posted many times about blockbuster movies being made with GNU/Linux free and open source software. An the folk using that software are still providing lots of jobs for folk in support areas etc.

nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"The real question should be 'Is the movie any good?"

Don't know but the trailers certainly look great.

"Let's suppose the movie is a success at the box office and the organisers say 'let's make another one'.

They turn to their 250 volunteers and most of the volunteers realise somebody has made a few bob from their project but not them and so demand a fee.

So the organisers get more volunteers and surreptitously pay them a small fee for the second movie. And so on.

When you enter the commercial world you'll never overcome human nature. Unless, maybe, you re-create the CCCP."

You old cynical dog. Take a look at the Star Wreck story. Eight movies on and more to come and every one is happy and not a commie in sight.An they are making money even though the movies can be downloaded for free.:p

http://www.clearbits.net/torrents/208-star-wreck---legacy

http://www.starwreck.com/

"This whole Windows vs Linux thing does throw up some extremely passionate nonsense on both sides of the fence. Both os's have their place, neither is better than the other for a whole bunch of reasons including cost, user-friendliness and gaming, to name just a few.

And Mac's OSX also has it's place, I have absolutely no idea what the Mac OS is like but I do hear good things about it."

Yer right horses for courses and everything has its place. My money should stay in me pocket for as long as possible. I'm working on a plan to take it with me when the Valkyries come for me. :D

"As most regulars here know I've been trying to make Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu, my regular OS and a Windows substitute for the last few months. No way, no way at all will it work so far. I have about 80% of things I do in Windows covered but the other 20% I can't do - and want to do - just leaves me feeling disappointed and frustrated."

I did try to guide you towards another version of GNU/Linux.
laughingsmiley.gif

" For the moment I'm using both Windows and Mint and the 80% of Windows tasks I can complete in Linux makes me very happy indeed."

Glad to hear it. Keep on sucking that Mint.
nod.gif

"And as a final comment I'll say that if all you want to do on a computer is office work, surf the net, use e-mail, view and edit photos and play music and movies, then Linux is for you. Step out of those clearly defined areas and you're in unknown, uncharted and muddy waters."

Agree totally. An you didn't even mention the benefits of on-line banking from a Live Distro. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
one-eyed Kirk said:
I did try to guide you towards another version of GNU/Linux. :lol:

It's not so much the distro that's lacking but third party software I've tried within Mint. And Mint is based on Ubuntu which by popular consensus seems to be about the most user-friendly of the bunch if not the most traditional. But the hell with traditionality, I just want things to work and if Window-like commands work in a linux console and are easier to use, so be it.

Possibly getting off topic here but I couldn't burn an audio CD within k3b. I just couldn't browse to the tracks I wanted to burn, totally confounded me. So I used the other one (the name of which escapes me for the moment but I think it begins with the letter 'b') and had a result, even managed to make two tracks blend together for the burn.

And that's just one example. I keep noticing niggly things I want to do but can't within Linux Mint.

I was going to post listing all the things I couldn't do but realised some patience is needed so until I'm absolutely sure I'm fubared in one area I'll hold me horses, so to speak ;)

That movie link you supplied is good news. They're so successful I'd never heard of it before :lol:

I would love to see movies being made for free but hey, where would all those movie stars get the money to buy more yachts and mansions? ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Star Wreck ha ha ha
laughingsmiley.gif

Sent you a PM. You might need to wait a while as it is still uploading. ;) not the pm silly. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
... but still, it does say to me that people who say Linux is better than Windows are talking from their nether regions.
Floppsie daisie... how come I've missed this gem? "Talking from their nether regions" – mea maxima culpa.

laughingsmiley.gif

As it happens, my buddy Alain wrote about this today: Linux 'is' ready for the desktop

Yours sincerely,

brainfart1.gif

U – :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Heehee @ Urmas :D

Today I made my first audio recordings to wav from the computer's sound line in socket (using a Creative X-Fi Audio sound card) within Linux Mint using Audacity. A little more complicated than dbPowerAmp's aux console within Windows but I sussed it and it's fairly straightforward. Good sound quality too.

So that's another one ticked off the list.

Now let's have a look at what Alain has to say.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I've just read Alain's musings and as expected, agree with him in some areas but disagree with others.

I am continually irritated by most writers, when talking about the whole Linux vs Windows issue, being pro-Linux biased and in being so tend to overlook that it is often very difficult to do some things in Linux that are a breeze within Windows.

When these people hear me say that they'll immediately say words like 'oh, but that's easy'. It ain't. It ain't not easy no way never ever mon ami. It's often diabolically difficult and extremely frustrating.

So their next riposte will be 'But Linux is free, Windows and associated software is expensive'. True, but some people - lots of people - don't mind paying for software that simply does what they want it to do. Indeed, there are many perverse people on this Planet who seem to want to pay for software and who think anything that's free can't be any good. Those people are fools of course but that's the way it is.

It's good to see Alain has the good grace to admit Linux is lousy for gaming and that the average Joe would possibly have some difficulty installing Linux to dual boot with Windows. However, he assumes that users would want to dual boot where in fact there are many who would love to just use Linux and ditch Windows - if only...

The list of tasks he gave as an example of what the average user wants to do on a computer is good but from that list, so far there are several things I have been unable to accomplish. I haven't given up yet but I do know it's possible I may not be able to find open source software that can achieve the tasks I want to carry out.

I note with some satisfaction that in some areas Alain's views echo my own thoughts that I posted earlier here.

I also note in my earlier post I referred to Linux 'catching up' with Windows. That may be a misnomer, really, as there will be many experienced Linux users who feel that it's Windows that has to catch up with Linux. An open mind, Mr Flops, an open mind.

I sometimes wonder whether I'm a lone voice in this debate, I have no bias, no flag to wave, I just tell it as it is. What I'd really like to do is use Linux only on at least one machine (the machine I refer to here as my audio/video edit machine) and see Linux become popular enough for mainstream publishers and game developers to write dedicated Linux game engines.

Now that'd be good :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I have no bias, no flag to wave, I just tell it as it is.
Oh là là... you are a rare creature – dogs who haven't had their... nether regions sniffed are more frequent. According to a study conducted by a reputable Pyongyang university.

card2240.jpg

Now... had you said "... I just tell it as I perceive it"...
happywave.gif

... and as expected, agree with him in some areas but disagree with others.
A normal, healthy state of affairs... consider the alternative:

A man who possesses the art of correct reading will, in studying any book, magazine, or pamphlet, instinctively and immediately perceive everything which in his opinion is worth permanently remembering, either because it is suited to his purpose or generally worth knowing. Once the knowledge he has achieved in this fashion is correctly coordinated within the somehow existing picture of this or that subject created by the imagination, it will function either as a corrective or a complement, thus enhancing either the correctness or the clarity of the picture.

–A. Hitler. 1924

cowphilosophy1garylarso.jpg

U –Es surften Kain und Abel kaum ohne einen Gabelbaum.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
We can only expand and improve our personal data banks by perception - what other way?

So yes, by what I perceive, but that's a given, really.

Adolf Hitler eh?

Adolf was an Aries and a Vegetarian. I'm an Aries and I was a veggie from '96 - '02.

Oh dear.

I see much of people twisting 'facts' to try and reinforce their own POV but the older I get the more I see what a bunch of crap some peeps try and foist upon others.

If you're skilled/demented/nasty/dangerous enough you can convince a whole nation black is white and that one section of society is a danger to everybody else and persecute them.

Well, Adolf managed it, didn't he? :)

Nick Griffin has just been banned from a Buckingham Palace garden party.

Which proves our Liz hasn't totally lost her marbles yet.

Just thought I'd mention that :)

There's a new version of Linux Mint, V9.0, non-beta, completed. Now, how do I upgrade without losing all the data in my home folder and all the software I've installed?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
There's a new version of Linux Mint, V9.0, non-beta, completed. Now, how do I upgrade without losing all the data in my home folder and all the software I've installed?

Ah, never mind, I should have read the small print:

Important information:

As an RC (Release Candidate) this release is targeted at developers and beta-testers who want to help Linux Mint find and correct bugs before the stable release. Please do not use this release as your main desktop.

And I was thinking, I could transfer all data I want to keep to another hard disk temporarily, no probs.

It does mean I'd have to install a whole bunch of packages again, set up e-mail and ftp again and figure how to save/transfer Opera bookmarks. Hmm.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Don't forget to use Acronis before you start to play with backups. I'm guessing that you have separate partitions for " / " and " /home " so make a backup of them. If you don't have separate partitions then praying first is a good option. :D

I would recommend a GNU/Linux backup program but the two I tried were a bit too complicate for me to have sucess with at this time. I will find one that suits me eventually, probably in the autumn when I have more time. :)

Last edited:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
A separate /home partition is a great idea indeed. All your data and software settings will survive the upgrade "automagically".

But Mint's backup tool is your friend here – the tutorial in my post above is a good one.

mintbackup1.png

happywave.gif

Ask a Question