Windows XP Product key lost

Reaction score
I have Windows XP. Office 2000 was installed. I had not used microsoft Word for some time and it seems to have gone.
I have the disks to re-install but not the package. How do I get the product key?

Not sure how any of this works. I am an older geezer with only basic computer knowledge. This computer (HP pavillion v70) was purchased in 2001 with ME installed. Windows XP was purchased in 2003.

I used Word to write letters, etc. and saved many. I used Excel for worksheets. I had some medical problems and did not use the computer. My wife used it for e-mail and shopping.

When I tried to open the old files, none would open. I downloaded a trial version of a newer vrsion of Word a couple of months ago and could open some but now the trial has expired and they weill not open again.

I cannot pay $200++ for a new version.
I have all the original disks that came with the original computer and the XP Home edition , however I cannot find a product key on anything.

I tied to load Disc 1, with Word & Excel put cannot get past the 'enter product key'.

Any help is appreciated.

Toby

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if you don't have the product keys there isn't much you can do :(

Luckily there is a free alternative to Office called "Open Office", which you can download here:

http://www.openoffice.org/

You should be able to open and edit all your old files by using that :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

You could use the above. It is only a small download.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question