Probs with BOINC recently

Reaction score
Ok I know this will cause a few other opinions but need to let you knw

BOINC recently has been causing major problem with my PC

Everything is halting, slowing or plain stuttering.

Soon as I close BOINC everything seems fine. I have not to my knowledge changed any settings to casue this and indeed would have thought BOINC is not designed to do this.

Games such as Rogue Trooper and Ghost Recon: AW Will not run smoothly at all with it running compared to what it used to be like. Even while other stuff is running BOINC is still taking 40 - 50% CPU load per core. I thought it was supposed to reduce significantly when other programs run?

Suggestions welcome, as I say its only been a problem past week or so. Thought it was my fault due to drive maybe needing defragging but still the same

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Ok I know this will cause a few other opinions but need to let you knw

BOINC recently has been causing major problem with my PC

Everything is halting, slowing or plain stuttering.

Soon as I close BOINC everything seems fine. I have not to my knowledge changed any settings to casue this and indeed would have thought BOINC is not designed to do this.

Games such as Rogue Trooper and Ghost Recon: AW Will not run smoothly at all with it running compared to what it used to be like. Even while other stuff is running BOINC is still taking 40 - 50% CPU load per core. I thought it was supposed to reduce significantly when other programs run?

Suggestions welcome, as I say its only been a problem past week or so. Thought it was my fault due to drive maybe needing defragging but still the same
Some pages in IE do sometimes seem to load at times slowly but no major problems, when i do play one graphics hungry game the temps on the grahics card to go up quiet a bit, but apart from that all is OK.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Even while other stuff is running BOINC is still taking 40 - 50% CPU load per core. I thought it was supposed to reduce significantly when other programs run?
Then whatever you are doing at the time is not using the CPU to 100% as Bionc ... If word uses 20% CPU then Boinc will use the rest.

Boinc will stop running if any other program need to use the CPU @ 100% ... I proved to myself that Oblivion don't use as much CPU as graphics power. (just finished today)

Therefore, I'm still returning good points playing & crunching. ;)

I don't know what to suggest, maybe Ady can shed some light. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hmmm, these sort of problems are notoriously difficult to track down - as you said everything was running fine until a week ago it may be something clashing now with the boinc software - have you installed anything new recently?

Mucks is absolutely right in what he says about Boinc CPU usage, and yours seems to be acting normally - the only thing I can come up with is a RAM paging issue of some sort.

As V_R is doing, I will look and try to find if anyone else at WCG has a similar problem, if not then I would suggest either re-installing or trying the new Boinc version and see if it makes a difference :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right TD,

I've been on the hunt for some info on ya prob. Seems there is three 'main causes' for your lack of points....

TD said:
Games such as Rogue Trooper and Ghost Recon: AW Will not run smoothly at all with it running compared to what it used to be like.
I know you said its only started happening in the last few weeks, So i think like Ady said could be a software clash....
Or maybe (But i dont know about this) when you play games you suffer from a lack of RAM? The FA@H WU's are hungary for memory, and they got even bigger in the last few weeks. ;)

My next theory is that your suffering from internet disconnects?
Have a look through the logs in the BOINC Manager (Messages Tab) Anything red is bad.

Lastly, Make sure your AV software isn't hogging the CPU cycles as this is a common problem with some AV programs. What are you using?

Hows the Process Explorer looking? Is all as it should be?

:)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try upgrading to the newer version of Boinc.

That sorted out all my problems.

If you're already using the newer version, consider using the WCG client.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Symptoms sound exactly like the trouble I was having a few weeks ago, I figured it was likely RAM in the end & find that things have settled down now, so long as I don't try to do too many things at the same time (VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!). Really need to put more RAM in but can't afford it at the moment. Not much use I know but it's the best I can offer soz:(

Reaction score
I know I need more RAM but too the same cant afford it. This stuff was £140 per gig. So it aint gonna happen!

I may have to sell this stuff and buy cheaper which would be a shame

So if anyone interested in Corsair RAM I may post it up for sale

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So it was the ram then? There are two things you can do in that case....

1, Exit BOINC when you want to play games.

Or, and this is what i would do. ;)

2, Go to your 'My Grid' page at WCG, and under 'My Projects' on the left untick the 'Participate in all projects' and the 'FighAIDS@Home' tick boxes. Then go open BOINC and click on the 'projects' tab highlight your account in the main window and then hit 'update' on the left.

This means you will only crunch 'Human Proteome Folding' workunits. The reason i suggest this is because they use a lot less RAM than the FA@H workunits, and have less of a demand overall. :thumb:

Give it a go for a week or so and see how it goes. Then let us know how you get on. :)

Ask a Question