How stable is BOINC?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm debating as to if I should install BOINC on the PCR webservers, as it would produce a massive amount of points for us (2 x 3.2Ghz Dual HT Xeon servers) i.e. 8 concurrent threads on both servers.

I don't want to jeopardise the stability or security of the servers, so I've avoided it until now - however I haven't experienced any problem myself with running BOINC 24/7 for aaaaaages.

I think Chris Imrie tried this at one point, and it seemed to work ok - I think!

Has anyone got any thoughts as to the general stability of BOINC, as I know some others here have had probs with it?

Reaction score
I must be maturing

You could try it, But may be you need to take advice from Muckshifter & Adywebb on it as sesoned crunchers and other Mods to see their view's. The last thing you want is the site to crash through it.:thumb:

Sorry, just going to take myself outside give myself a good slap round the face! I'm now giving out sensible advice:blush:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Personally Ian, i have never had any problems with BOINC on my pc, and i have had it running 24/7 for ages. That includes when i am playing games, watching films and all the other pc stuff you would do...

But obviously i haven't had it running on a server though....so i cant comment on that but the stability for me has been fine.

If i remember correctly 'Fred B' has it installed on his works servers with no problems. :)

You could you give it a trial run and leave a thread for peeps to post any probs they have that they think might be caused by it.

I would think it would be ok, but i certainly aint an expert....Thats your job! :D

Just my two cents.... :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Naw, you don't want my advice ... but you is gonna get it. :p

I'm sorry to say I value the PCreview Server more than Crunching, nup, sorry, but there you go.

However, it is pretty stable and there are some who have it installed as a service on their servers ... :thumb:

Just a thought here ... is this a shared server?

* sitting on the fence *

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Its certainly stable on my personal PC's and never had a problem - but no idea how or why it might effect the stability of a server.

Thats the best help I can give I'm afraid :thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've never had any problems with my system but then again its not on 24/7 but i'd think that the software should be stable as its meant to run for long periods of time otherwise you'd never get any work returned

the only real way to find out if it is gonna work ok is to try it

Reaction score
Maybe only have it running late evening to early morning, say 11pm until 7am?

That way it cause problems too much.

Worth a try maybe?.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good point TD, I may try that if the host gives it a thumbs up - only way is to give it a go I suppose.

Reaction score
I have no problems but? I dont use it on a server!

You can always uninstall if problems develope:user:

Ask a Question