Windows XP Problems with XP install...

Reaction score
Heya.

I did a quick forum search and didn't find anything along these lines. Hell, I haven't seen much on the internet doing a Google search on this.

I'm working with two computers at the moment. One is a 2ghz Athlon XP+ and the other is a P4 2.4ghz. I had lots of problems on the Athlon with a new motherboard I bought and finally got it working after flashing the BIOS. After I flashed the BIOS, Windows XP stopped working and popped up with several lsass.exe errors. I took out the 40gb drive I had Windows installed on and put it in the 2.4ghz P4. I took the 60gb out of the P4 and put it in the Athlon. I re-installed Windows XP fine on the 40gb in the P4 but can't installed Windows on the Athlon. It lets me format the drive for NTFS but once it starts copying the files over, several .dll errors pop up and the install is telling me it's a bad Windows image before it finally blue screens. Once I got past all the errors for lots of NTLOADER errors.

The Windows CD is fine, again, I installed it on the other computer without problems. The hard drive is good because as I had Kubuntu running on it with no problems prior to the format. I even tried another XP CD to no avail.

I messed around in my BIOS a bit because I had a friend messing with it last night, prior to the lsass.exe errors. I didn't think anything of it because I was wiping the machine anyways. I didn't see anything that stuck out as being weird or different.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You don't tell us what the MB is/are ... ;)

XP is the best memory tester I know of, so, I would be checking that out first, that includes the timings in the BIOS.

Please post a bit more info on the specs of the PC ... :)

Also, if you are getting BSOD, it would help me if you could post them in there entirety. After you checked the memory out. :thumb:

Reaction score
Ah, my apologies.

The Athlon 2000+ has 1.5gb of RAM, the p4 has 512mb.

Windows installed fine on the 40gb drive in the P4 that was previously in the Athlon machine. I basically switched the 60gb and 40gb around in the machines. The Athlon currently has a 60gb drive (trying to install Windows on, had Kubuntu prior), a 120gb and a 300gb drive and a DVD burner. The P4 just has the 40gb I just installed XP on, it's an dumpy thing that my Grandma wants to learn computers on.

I just popped in a 120gb Seagate drive in place of the 60gb in the Athlon machine and it blue screened immediately at the copy screen.

Reaction score
Whee! I was at the partition screen trying to mess with the 120gb Seagate and it blue screened on me there.

Actually, this Seagate is a piece of crap I pulled from another machine because it was acting up. I figured Id at least try another drive in to see if it's the same problem.

Im trying to get ahold of my buddy now to ask what all he did.

Reaction score
Alright, well, I think I got a little lucky. It's actually installing Windows now on the 60gb after skipping some of the problematic files during the initial copy process. It seems to be installing fine, so let's hope Windows doesn't dive-bomb after install.

*fingers crossed*

I've only been working on this the past four hours!

Reaction score
Nope. It's stopped at 37 minutes remaining and the green bar isn't moving. The things on the right are changing "Your computer will be faster and more reliable" and such, but nothing else is happening.

Help!

:)

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
As Mucks said - try the memory first (simply 'cause it's easy to do and eliminates one part of the hardware).

It's a bit difficult to say where the problem lies, but when you keep having read or write errors freezing and blue screens, it quite often indicates a bad drive. Try downloading the test software from the manufacturer of your hard drive - again, it might not be the problem but at least you eliminate another link in the chain.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Covenant

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess Ill try the memory. I really dont like accepting that being as I like my 1.5gb of RAM and dont have the money at the moment for more.

My thoughts were a bad drive, so I guess I didnt solve much when I replaced it with another known bad drive. That will be my next step.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You don't tell us what the MB is/are ... ;)

XP is the best memory tester I know of, so, I would be checking that out first, that includes the timings in the BIOS.

Please post a bit more info on the specs of the PC ... :)

Also, if you are getting BSOD, it would help me if you could post them in there entirety. After you checked the memory out. :thumb:

No risten mucks:rolleyes:

Ask a Question