Windows XP Problems with loading Tiscali broadband disc

Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody help me, I am trying to set up broadband on my PC using a tiscali setup disc. hen I run the disc it tells me that I have error number E0202 (The CPU speed needs to be 100mhz) My computer shows x86 Family 6Model 8 stepping 3 when I right click on properties on my computer. If I run an info programme I find that my CPU is Intel Pentium 111 (socket 370) and my L2 Cache is 651.48Mhz does any body have any ideas?

Regards

Richard1958

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
judging by the CPU specs i doubt its even running XP but you never know with some manufacturers

Yeah I arrage sorry I did not read the post propliy I thought it could had been vista. becuase some intenet setup disks wont work on vista. has it ever been online before?

Wiz

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You don't need to use the set-up disc....you can install manually if you use a router and network cable.

Are you using a router or is it a modem? Also how does it connect to your PC, via USB or RJ45 network cable?

Does your PC have a network card/LAN connection?

Reaction score
hi
Thanks for your replies, the computer has been connected before using router and network cable. I have now moved the router to the front room and am trying to set up wireless, I have now just updated my operating system to service pack 2 XP I am hoping that this will assist with the problem of tiscali setup disc stating my speed is not fast enough, if it does I will keep you posted.

regards

Richard1958

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I which case just ignore and bin the setup disc - set up your router and wireless manually via the router settings :thumb:

Reaction score
Adywebb

I have now installed windows XP service pack 2 and the set up disc now recognises my CPU, i can now get all the way to where the set uo disc asks me for the WPA key. I put the WPA key in just like i did with my lap top and it tells me it is incorrect. I have been into the setup for tiscali and the WPA is correct. When you set up another computer does it require some other WPA or is this just trying to P*** me off

Frustrated Richard

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ah, so you insisted on using the setup disc then regardless.

OK...when you say you went to 'into setup for Tiscali' were you talking about the router settings? - I'm assuming so, in which case remove the WPA key and put in another one, then MANUALLY go into the PC's wireless settings which you are trying to connect and put the key in there and see if it will connect. (If not remove them from both the router and the PC and see if it will connect then as a test)

Reaction score
Adywebb
I have been into the router setup and have disabled security leaving the wireless non protected, tried the PC again but no joy, then I had problems with my laptop so I went back in and enabled it again. Do I have to connect via hardwired first or is there a way of doing this all wirelessly?

Richard1958

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
What is the make/model of the router?

If the wireless is already setup on the router then you don't need to connect the PC you are trying to use wireless on by cable to get it going.

You need not only to ensure the WPA key is correct, but also the SSID too.....make sure it is setup as visible on the router, then on the PC scan for available networks - click on the one for your router, then put in the correct WPA key.

Reaction score
Hi

Still haven't got my PC working yet but I think i know the problem, the signal to the PC is extremely low the speed is only 1 mb. I cannot move my PC and my router is fixed, between them is a copper hot water cylinder and i think this is the problem with the signal. I can be 6' away from the router with my laptop and get nothing, if I go 30' away but on a different line ie no hot water cylinder I get a good signal. I have tried an extention aerial but they dont seem to make them with a long enough cable, all in all I am going to have to have a rethink on the whole setup (maybe use a booster station or something) I would like to thank you for all your help, I think with a decent signal putting in place the ideas gained from the forum I should now be ok.

Regards

Richard1958

Last edited:

Ask a Question