broadband speed up, but cannot connect.

Reaction score
I'm connected to the internet directly with a 1.1mbps connection. Tiscali told us that they have increased the speed to 8mbps, but i'm still on 1.1mbps (and so is everyone else connected to this router).

networkcopy.jpg

Thats what my network connection looks like and I try connecting to the broadband connection, but it doesn't seem to like my IP address. I get error 678 - the remote computer did not respond.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the router log look like it connects ok? (and does it work on their PC?).

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Does the router log look like it connects ok? (and does it work on their PC?).

the router log? :confused:

we've got a stable connection on the 1.1; I don't know if anything has to be done to connect the router to the 8 meg connection.. should it have been done automatically?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Are you saying that you do actually have internet access, but its at 1.1MB and not 8MB?

Tiscali may have upgraded their service to 8MB, but can your phone line support that?

Login to your router, and go to the Router Status page and see what connection speed you have showing.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Are you saying that you do actually have internet access, but its at 1.1MB and not 8MB?

Tiscali may have upgraded their service to 8MB, but can your phone line support that?

Login to your router, and go to the Router Status page and see what connection speed you have showing.

ah i see, yes thats whats happening, thank you. Tiscali said about 2 weeks ago that the connection speed should be supported by now. worth phoning them up again?

The broadband speed tests say the connection is still on 1.1 meg, as does the netgear status page.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Check what speed you can expect for your phone line HERE - if it is significantly higher than 1.1Mb then I suggest you contact Tiscali and see if it has been activated on your line yet.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whats your downstream attenuation and SNR?

The link below will tell you what you can expect.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php

Also if youve moved from a fixed speed of 1 meg to an ADSL max product the you will go through a ten day training period where the speed will go up and down while the system finds your MSR.

Oh and tiscali are crap.

Reaction score
Thanks both of you :thumbs:

Ady - my expected speed with freeola is 2.5mbps.

V_R - my area is LLU enabled, up to 8 meg, and my line can get 2.5meg. i'm also about 1.89km from my exchange. and yes, tiscali do suck.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
2.5mb for only 1.89kms from the exchange is low. either the wiring is old or there is a problem somewhere.

LLU is up to 16mb (SKY) or 24mb (Be) up to 8meg is plain ADSL MAX.

Log into the router and tell me the following, Attenuation, Noise margin and Connection speed.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As V_R says, you should be able to get a faster connection at your distance from the exchange - however that 2.5Mb result is the max available on your line for whatever reason.

The fact you still have a connection speed of 1.1Mb when Tiscali have supposedly upped it to a 8Mb Max service indicates you have not been upgraded as yet - and even when you are, you are likely to get a max of 2.5Mb anyway.

Ring Tiscali and ask them if you have actually been upgraded yet, and also get them to test your line.

Reaction score
sorry for the long reply,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 28.0 db
Noise Margin 22.8 db 24.0 db

thats what i get according to netgear. we're going to ring Tiscali in the morning to see what exactly is going on.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 28.0 db
Noise Margin 22.8 db 24.0 db
There's your problem, a 50db att. is not gonna help, although 1.89km should be more like 35db. Was the 1.89km figure you quoted 'as the crow flies'? Maybe your line goes round the houses so to speak. Your 23db SNR is a good margin though, so the 2.5 should be do-able. On a MAX line that will be at 6db lowest. ;)

Have a read of this and see if you can clean up internal wiring before the move to MAX, get the most out of it. :)

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Ask a Question