Windows XP Problems with enabling broadband

Reaction score
The thing is it works on my laptop, so it's unlike to be a problem with the ISP, right?

Should I be using NDISWAN as protocol? I have very limited knowledge on this but I would think I should be using TCP/IP instead of NDISWAN, right? I should be getting something like
TCP/IP -> SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP

How can I change this? I tried removing the NDISWAN and adding another TCP/IP protocol but it just not working. I've also tried uninstalling the model and reinstall again and let the software set itself up, I got the same items (NDISWAN) again! Or shoud I really should be using NDISWAN?

Reaction score
Sounds familiar - i'm having the same problem. I'm not with Wanadoo tho, I'm with Virgin, but same modem (made by thomson).

Dr Speedtouch tells me exactly the same thing, but my TCP/IP is enabled too, and the problem just wont go away. I've tried new drivers and a new download of Dr Speedtouch (this solves nothing - the installer crashes before it gets anywhere...)

I'm using Win XP Home SP2 - is this an XP problem?

I'm thinking of giving up and just going out and buying a new modem.

The difference with my problem is that the modem is apparently installed correctly - device manager shows no problems. The first signs of something going wrong is when i try to connect to the net, it says "incorrect username and/or password" when I KNOW i've typed it correctly (yes, i am aware of case sensitivity...)

Chezza

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello All,

I also have exactly the same "Access is Denied" problem while trying to install the SpeedTouch 330 modem.

Apparently it is because of the Packard Bell Software Library (EasyDVD). Read here for info...

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/problemshtml/packard.html

I am not using Tiscali broadband, or wanadoo, but I would guess that it is the same error for most ISP's?

However, I cannot find the file freefix.exe on the uk packard bell site. that the packard bell link tries to send you to.
What I did was type in freefix.exe into google, and downloaded the patch from the Dutch packard bell site. this is found here...

http://www.pbnec.nl/support/itemnr/REFFIUP04940100.html

I havent found out if this solves the problem yet, but I will give you an update when I get home from work later on!

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Devilishly Angelic said:
I've downloaded all the latest drivers, yet the same error message keeps on coming up about a problem in installing the SpeedTouch 330 modem and access is denied.
To solve this problem..click on start..run....regedit...then right click on hkey local machine and then click on permissions.In permissions give yourself full control.After that click on advanced tab and check replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects. Then click on apply. If you get a message saying do u want to ? click on yes. Close the registry editor and then restart the computer. Try to install again.

Reaction score
To solve this problem..click on start..run....regedit...then right click on hkey local machine and then click on permissions.In permissions give yourself full control.After that click on advanced tab and check replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects. Then click on apply. If you get a message saying do u want to ? click on yes. Close the registry editor and then restart the computer. Try to install again.

All the best buddy !!!!!1

Reaction score
Chezza said:
Sounds familiar - i'm having the same problem. I'm not with Wanadoo tho, I'm with Virgin, but same modem (made by thomson).

Dr Speedtouch tells me exactly the same thing, but my TCP/IP is enabled too, and the problem just wont go away. I've tried new drivers and a new download of Dr Speedtouch (this solves nothing - the installer crashes before it gets anywhere...)

I'm using Win XP Home SP2 - is this an XP problem?

I'm thinking of giving up and just going out and buying a new modem.

The difference with my problem is that the modem is apparently installed correctly - device manager shows no problems. The first signs of something going wrong is when i try to connect to the net, it says "incorrect username and/or password" when I KNOW i've typed it correctly (yes, i am aware of case sensitivity...)

Chezza
I think the TCP/IP error message is an SP 2 issue. I installed modem and Dr Speedtouch before I installed SP2 and everything was ok. After SP2 I got the TCP/IP error message even though it is installed. The modem works/connects ok with no problems. I ignore the error message. I know what you say about being sure the password etc is ok but I would check with your ISP over that issue (if not resolved already)

Reaction score
Hi;

I am new to this malarky but seem to be picking up a common problem, I am running Windows XP home edition on a packard Bell imedia5061; when I load up my wanadoo connection kit i get to the end of the process where it says now plug the modem in....suprise suprise I get the error message " Problem installing this hardware Speed TOUCH 330, an error occurred during instalation acces denied"

I have spoken to " Technical Support " at Wanadoo and they identify a patch reffiup04940100, have downloaded this, still no joy.HELP APPRECIATED:(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm experiencing similar problem whilst trying to install my Speedtouch 330 modem with my new BT Yahoo Broadband Service.

My line is activated (got the confirmation email from BT Yahoo) and I received my 'Welcome Pack' containing my Speedtouch 330 modem, cabling, installation software and 2 no. ADSL filters.

Last night I followed the installation procedure on the Installation CD to the letter; inserted my ADSL filter in my phone socket, re-connected my phone, plugged the connecting cable into the ADSL filter, the other end in the modem. I then successfully installed the Speedtouch 330 software (including I assume the drivers), and proceeded to then (ie. only when prompted) attach the modem to a free USB port on my PC.

My PC immediately recognised the new hardware, but quickly flashed up the same message everyone else has been getting (Access Denied). The USB light on the modem flashes red, the ADSL one remains unlit.

I've tried disabling my Norton anti-virus software, my Norton Internet Security, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the Speedtouch software/drivers numerous times (there is an option to do this on the installation CD), each time coming back to the same 'Access Denied' window. I've also tried, again numerous times, removing the software using "Add/Remove Programs", rebooting, then trying the installation program from scratch. Still no joy.

When my new modem is connected to the USB port, my PC picks it up in the "Device Manager", but flagged with a yellow exclamation mark symbol, indicating it's not working properly. The diagnostic window tells me that the problem is that the drivers aren't installed (even when I have already done so in the installation procedure and been told everything was installed successfully). Playing along, I've followed the re-installation procedure I'm directed to try, but when I'm prompted to insert the CD, and I do so, my PC tells me the drivers have already been successfully installed! Very confusing!

I am running a Packcard Bell desktop PC, with way over-the-top spec for this application, Windows XP Home Edition, and am logged in with full adminstrator rights as far as I know (how do I check this?)

I know that the m odem is not faulty, as I brought it into work with me this morning, and my PC here installed it successfully, along with the Speedtouch software, so the problem has to be with some configuration of my home PC.

Please, please can someone help me with this frustrating problem!

Thanks,

Neill

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I feel for you all that are having problems with the "speedcrutch" modem and propriety manufactured computers ... but there is not a lot we can do to help.

The key word here is ... compatibility ... that word does NOT exist. Manufactures such as Dell, Tiny/Time and a good few others too numerous to mention do not have your best interest at heart, they need to make money.

The other side of the coin is the respective ISPs ... how many of them asked any basic questions about your system? They do have a long list of known problems, but to take your money without giving you the courtesy of first identifying any potential problems is beyond comprehension. And, they have the cheek to bind you to a 12 month contract.

All I can suggest is you go back to the ISP and quote the "Distance Selling Act" which I assure you covers services such as a ISPs

The quick the broadband industry switches to Ethernet and NOT USB the better for everyone, but until then, if you have a choice between NTL (and the like) or using BT's line with USB, I know what my choice would be ...

:(

Reaction score
chris green said:
Hello All,

I also have exactly the same "Access is Denied" problem while trying to install the SpeedTouch 330 modem.

Apparently it is because of the Packard Bell Software Library (EasyDVD). Read here for info...

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/problemshtml/packard.html

I am not using Tiscali broadband, or wanadoo, but I would guess that it is the same error for most ISP's?

However, I cannot find the file freefix.exe on the uk packard bell site. that the packard bell link tries to send you to.
What I did was type in freefix.exe into google, and downloaded the patch from the Dutch packard bell site. this is found here...

http://www.pbnec.nl/support/itemnr/REFFIUP04940100.html

I havent found out if this solves the problem yet, but I will give you an update when I get home from work later on!

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Chris.
I phoned up BT Yahoo today, and was told that I need to download a patch for my Packard Bell PC, in order to get this working. The link they gave me was http://tinyurl.com/GEDL which takes you to a support page on the UK Packard Bell website, where you can download the patch.

However, the patch appears to be for a Freeserve Broadband service, not BT Yahoo?!! Am I safe to download and run this patch when I am trying to install BT Yahoo Broadband, and not Freeserve Broadband?? Maybe the patch is the same for all ISP's??

Anyone out there??

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken you're ALL using a BT line ... but the 'patch' is probably for the PC and not for any spacific ISP

Try it ... you can always 'roll back' the drivers if using XP ... you never know, I may be right.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
If I'm not mistaken you're ALL using a BT line ... but the 'patch' is probably for the PC and not for any spacific ISP

Try it ... you can always 'roll back' the drivers if using XP ... you never know, I may be right.
That is what I'm hoping - I think the patch worked for Chris (page 3), and I think he said he got the link for Tiscali software, which he wasn't using.

It's the best shot I've got, as no-one else has been able to help. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. As you say, I can always roll back.

Reaction score
Update
The patch worked fine, I am now up and running. So to all those trying to install a Speedtouch 330 USB modem onto a Packard Bell PC (regardless of ISP) go to the following link and run the patch to free up access to your registry

http://tinyurl.com/GEDL

Ask a Question