Windows XP Problems with enabling broadband

Reaction score
I'm using Windows XP, and have recently tried to connect to Wanadoo Broadband. After installing and connecting the modem, it wont recognise that it's plugged in. :confused:

When i run Dr SpeedTouch diagnostic on the modem problem, it says that
The computer does not have networking (TCP/IP) installed.
Networking support is required for connecting to the Internet.

I'm completely at a loss of how to fix this problem. Can anyone help me try and fix it?

Can you give me simple step by step instructions if you know what i could try to solve my problem?

Thanks , Carolyn

Reaction score
1) Did you successfully install the modem's drivers which came on a CD with the modem?

2) is it a USB Modem or is it a router or don't you know?

3) Have you got an item called "My network places" on your START menu (bottom LH of your screen). If not, go to Control panel and find the item "Network & Internet connections". Either option will present you with a "view network connections" choice. Click on that and your modem will show, either in the Dial UP section of the screen or the LAN section, depending on the type of modem. At this stage, there will be a red cross on it to shoow that it's not enabled..

4) Right click on the item and select Properties from the menu that pops up. Left click on it.

5) A Modem Connection properties window opens. It has several tabs at the top. Select the Networking option.

6) tick the TCP/IP check box. Close all windows, reboot.

That should do it.:)

Reaction score
doubt it as TCP/IP is enabled by default.

right click my computer left click manage then left click device manager, is ther any exclamation marks or question marks?

Reaction score
Yes, TCP/IP is normally installed by default, but it is a sensible precaution to check that it hasn't been accidentally disabled.

Reaction score
Techy said:
doubt it as TCP/IP is enabled by default.

right click my computer left click manage then left click device manager, is ther any exclamation marks or question marks?
Yes, theres an exclamation mark next to my Speed Touch 330 USB modem. When i try to reinstall the driver, it keeps on saying that an error occured and access has been denied.

Reaction score
Is there an option to uninstall the driver first? The installation routine should add a program item to your start menu with a sub-menu including an uninstall option.

When re-installing, don't plug in the modem until prompted by the installation program.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, another "Alcatel chiped" product ... this is fast becoming a joke, OR, I suspect Wanadoo (Freeserve) are just buying the cheapest crap they can. I really don't like those "modems" that don't have their own power supply. :rolleyes:

Carolyn, you may find newer drivers Here ... but that is for the "Thomson Branded" version. Do you know who actually made your modem?

Mucks.

muckshifter

Reaction score
See cogent's post #2 third item on his list ... ;)

Reaction score
get latest USB drivers.

if your mobo uses a VIA chipset consider trying a powered USB hub.

Reaction score
I've downloaded all the latest drivers, yet the same error message keeps on coming up about a problem in installing the SpeedTouch 330 modem and access is denied.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
have you actually been able to uninstal the modem? if not you can in the device manager (at the top little computer with a red cross through it) then disconnect the modem install then reconnect

Reaction score
have you tried latest USB drivers like i said, if so then try the modem on a different machine

Reaction score
Carolyn

If we are to be of help to you, we will require more specific information:

1. Exactly at what point in the installation does the error occur? For example, does everything go OK until you plug the modem in? Do you get a "New Hardware Found" message? Does the power light on the modem come on when you plug it in?
  2. Have you ascertained, as described on P6 of the manual, that you are not using a low-power USB hub?
  3. Do you select the PPP connection option as on P9 ?
  4. Have you got at least 30Mb of free hard-disk space?
  5. Have you tried to uninstall, using the option shown on P12 of the maual?
  6. Have you checked that TCP/IP is enabled? (I know it should be, but settings can be inadvertently changed.)
  7. Give a more detailed description of what the diagnostic program reports. Error messages exactly as reported, any filenames mentioned?
The key factor is that access is denied to a file or files. This indicates to me that a file that needs to be uninstalled is being loaded on start up. Try starting in safe mode and uninstalling the modem. Then restart and reinstall.

There is alwayus the horrible eventuality that the modem is b******d. Try installing on a mate's computer and see if the same fault occurs. If he/she hasn't got broadband, you will have to take the computer to your own home since ADSL only works on broadband-enabled lines.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having a slightly different problem on Wanadoo broadband to Kathryn. Really hope that the masters here can help me out:

I have a desktop with WinME as OS. Installed wanadoo Speedtouch USB modem successfully and everything seeemed fine! I even successfully logged in and seen a message telling me that I am connected at 576kbps! But when I try to get to the internet, I keep getting the annoying 'DNS entry incorrect blah blah blah' standard white screen error message!

I checked on the device manager and seemed like all the devices are working properly. I checked on the control panel/network properties, I have the following items:
- Clients for Microsoft Networks
- Dial-up Adapter
- SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP
- NDISWAN -> SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP
- TCP/IP

Is this right? Should I be using NDISWAN as protocol? Can anyone point me to the right direction? I also run the Dr Speedtouch software and it tells me that I have no TCP/IP networking installed! I then followed the instruction in it to install TCP/IP, reboot, then when back to the network properties screen, nothing changed! Still not working! I've even uninstalled the modem and reinstall again and the same problem exist.

I then called the Wanadoo technical support, after waiting for 30mins to getthru, they told me that they are not trained to deal with such detail problem and I should be checking with the vendor, ie microsoft. I got annoyed and asked if he has Bill Gate's phone number and that guy cut my line!!!!

Can anyone please help me? P.S. I have checked the modem on a laptop (OS: XP) and it works perfectly fine. Please...

Many thanx!

muckshifter

Reaction score
... and the Wanadoo (something right oneday) "Technition" hasn't got a clue.

It IS an ISP problem ... Due to the number of operating systems, ISPs, and network settings, the possible combinations are effectively infinite and beyond my scope. :(

Ask a Question