Need Help With Wi-fi

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Pal of mine has acquired an Acer Aspire All-in-One Z5610 second hand. It works in every respect except that it will not connect to, nor find, any Wi-fi. It will connect fine with an ethernet cable and the diagnostics state that the built in Wi-fi device is working perfectly normally. This seems odd because we have both always found that modern PCs tend to find Wi-fi very readily and then usually some attention is required to activate it. But, no, "no Wi-fi networks found" even though we are only2-3 metres from the router which is providing Wi-fi for other devices.

The troubleshooter seems to imply that it is fixing something, verifying that it is fixed but then states that the router needs turning off and then on again. This, however, does not solve the problem. Please tell us that this is something very simple that we are missing.

Help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
A long shot, have you tried entering router setting and manually inputting mac address of the wifi card within the machine?

Tried a diff card?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that TD.

Not quite sure of the logistics of that but I'll look into it.

Seems odd that the wi-fi card is "working normally" but no wi-fi so I might see if a wi-fi dongle might do the trick. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Seems odd that the wi-fi card is "working normally"

I had similar with an oldish Dell PC. My solution was to do to the Dell website and download the drivers for the WiFi adaptor and install them. Problem solved. IMHO the Windows troubleshooter is a load of pants.

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there... I had a similar problem that I struggled with for a good couple hours. I finally determined it was a protocol issue... logging into the router from a browser (Netgear, in my case), I changed the default protocol used (WPA2-PSK [AES]) to an option that supports 'legacy' devices, or in my particular situation, my brother's iPhone. After changing the router settings to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], my brother was able to connect and access the internet without an issue.

Ask a Question