Problems installing XP Home

G

I recently purchased a copy of Windows XP. It works just fine, except for one thing. When I realised there was a cheaper "Upgrade" version, I returned the first copy of XP and bought an Upgrade version.

I was busy during the holidays and had little time to re-install the new copy of XP, or simply activate the old copy with the new Product Key. This was also problematic because I was spending the time I did have attempting to set up a network. Without Internet it's pretty hard to prove you actually own the product.

But now that I have that figured out, Windows registration (30-Day grace period) has expired. How do I install the new Windows XP copy, over the old, without logging into the original copy? When I put the Upgrade disc in, the "auto-run" doesn't work on the "welcome" screen. And when I log in, I can't use the new product key because the network isn't properly connected. (I'd need to be in Windows to do that) So now it's a viscious cycle.

On the other hand, I could stype telling you my life story and just install Win 98 again and start all over.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

| I recently purchased a copy of Windows XP. It works just fine, except for one thing. When I realised there
was a cheaper "Upgrade" version, I returned the first copy of XP and bought an Upgrade version.
|
| I was busy during the holidays and had little time to re-install the new copy of XP, or simply activate the
old copy with the new Product Key. This was also problematic because I was spending the time I did have
attempting to set up a network. Without Internet it's pretty hard to prove you actually own the product.
|
| But now that I have that figured out, Windows registration (30-Day grace period) has expired. How do I
install the new Windows XP copy, over the old, without logging into the original copy? When I put the Upgrade
disc in, the "auto-run" doesn't work on the "welcome" screen. And when I log in, I can't use the new product
key because the network isn't properly connected. (I'd need to be in Windows to do that) So now it's a
viscious cycle.
|
| On the other hand, I could stype telling you my life story and just install Win 98 again and start all over.

Ask a Question