Problem with 'fuzziness' on one monitor - please help!

Reaction score
Hi,

Background (non-essential) - I have 2 monitors, and recently reinstalled windows after it crashed, however i was lucky enough to keep my harddrive. All the settings had been reset though, and i had to download my software again (For instance i still had itunes tracks but had to reinstall itunes). The resolutions are both set to their maximum, 1600x1024 and 1600x1200.

Problem - My left monitor (dell 2007wfp on the left and a 2007fp) seems to display text very poorly, they look quite 'fuzzy' while my right monitor is perfect. The fonts in particular are blurred, and although it is not terrible and still manageable, the right monitor is definitely sharper.

I installed a graphics card from NVIDIA, although i already had one, in an attempt to fix another problem with some software, but later fixed the problem by changing the dpi settings to 96 (I need to keep this at this level).

So, by installing this graphics card, have i done more harm than good? Should i just uninstall it, or is there something completely different causing this. Is changing the dpi setting an issue?

Also, why is it just one monitor?

Cheers in advance for any replies

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which graphics card did you originally have and then which did you replace it with? Also, are you using DVI connections for both monitors?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Did you install the latest drivers for the Video card ?

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

I am a computer noob so apologies if i am talking crap. My friend kinda reinstalled windows for me.

1. I am using a dvi cable (i believe this is the white one, correct?) for my right monitor, and a blue cable (might be a VGA cable?) for the 'fuzzy' monitor.

2. I had a NVIDIA graphics card originally which seemed to work fine. I just went to their website and downloaded one that a friend recomended.

3.I went to this link http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and downloaded the GeForce graphics card at the top, for XP.

4. It is worth pointing out that my left monitor was not at all fuzzy before my pc crashed, or initially after windows was reinstalled. It worked fine for a few days.

5. I have recently realised that the fuzziness is primarily with the text/fonts...or basically small detail. Bigger lines (like wallpaper, start menu and colours, seem fine.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info to help me out on this. Thanks

Reaction score
sorry, just bumping this thread, i'm still having problems with this.

I promise to send the poster who provides the solution a small cash reward (£20 or so)

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but it might be worth a look.
I assume that taking the resolution down a notch is not acceptable?
Can you swap the dvi cable over to the "poor" monitor?
One other point - I read that it's worth using the Dell software to install the monitor 'cause the native resolution is 1,680 x 1,050 which apparently is slightly unusual although I'm not sure whether that will help you or not.

Covenant

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I have actually sorted the problem now, well sort of. I just went on 'update drivers'.

But now i have a new problem. Although my left monitor is set as the primary monitor, the right monitor is the one with the taskbar, while the desktop icons are on the left. So, i want to get the task bar across to the left monitor.

thanks

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
If you are using a Nvidia card with all the software loaded then you should have access to Nvidia settings shortcut on the taskbar or the nvidia icon in Control Panel. Click on either of these and select Nvidia Display. From there you can set up how you want the monitors to work (Cloned, spanned etc) and also which one is the primary and which is the secondary.

Covenant

Ask a Question