Thunderflies out of Asus monitor?

Reaction score
Last summer of all the thunderflies crawling around in my screen on my 27" Asus 278Q monitor, one of them had the cheek to die and still sits there, trapped. I'm sure this is a common problem but is it possible to removed them and if so how? And how does one stop them getting in in the first place?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I think that you just have to accept them. I have one in my monitor but I barely notice it now even though it's in the centre near the top and been there for a couple of years. Over time (a long time) they do eventually disintegrate.

Not sure that there is a sure fire way of keeping them out. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for that nivrip. I wondered whether using some tights or muslin round the edge of the monitor might stop them getting in?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Thanks for that nivrip. I wondered whether using some tights or muslin round the edge of the monitor might stop them getting in?

To be honest I would have thought that having a pair of tights around your monitor would be more unsightly than a couple of bugs! ;) I can understand why you would want to prevent them getting in though, even though they are small I imagine it's as frustrating as a dead pixel. I would have thought that a deterrent might be a more practical solution than a physical barrier (because they can get through really tiny gaps). So maybe look up what they don't like? Citronella works well for a lot of insects, but I don't know whether it deters thunderflies.

Reaction score
Thanks Becky. I like the idea of citronella though. I do a lot of work in InDesign and Illustrator and having this insect in the middle of the screen can be annoying when I'm proof reading for instance. Actually Avon Skin so Soft might work too as it's a great insect repellent.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Just out of interest, how the heck do these get stuck inside the LCD panel? Surely the LCD panel is a sealed unit?

I'm curious, can you post a picture of it with the screen displaying a white background?

This is news to me. I'm so glad we don't get these where I am. Googling around, they seem to look like dead pixels - and I won't accept any LCD display that features even just one dead or stuck pixel. I'm sending that sucker straight back, claiming that it's not fit for purpose! :D

Are they actually getting inside the LCD layers or are they simply blocking the light from the backlight?
I have a 10 year old generic 19" 1440x900 LCD monitor and it's perfect, no visible pixel defects whatsoever and certainly none of these thunderflies, although a little bit of wear and tear here and there. I'll be gutted when this inevitibly dies.

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
They get in through the vents etc. Little buggers get everywhere...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
They are definitely a form of life, I have seen them slowly moving about and even when you don't see actual movement they will be in different positions from day to day. So, either the units are not 100% sealed or the eggs of these flies get in during construction of the units and hatch out when the unit eventually gets warm.

Maybe initially they are microscopic creatures and then grow to the size that we see. Seems that only when they die do they take up a permanent place on the display. I remember the one in my unit crawling about in the dead centre of the screen and hoping it would not die there. Luckily it moved well to the top of the screen before it expired. :)

Now, here's a strange thing. I took a screen capture using the Snipping Tool and the little insect did not show up at all. It must be in a place that the Snipping Tool does not access. So, I took a quick photo of the screen and there it is at the end of a badly drawn green arrow on a poor photograph. :D

DSCF7383K.jpg

Life seems to get everywhere. Pesky insects. :D

Reaction score
Mr Nivrip is absolutely right. A screenshot does not show them. See attached for picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    604.7 KB · Views: 120

Ask a Question