Windows Vista Problem with downloading and running talktalk's vista modem drivers

Reaction score
Hello, hope someone can help. I have recently signed up for talktalk broadband, and purchased the echolife HG520s wireless router. As I have windows vista, I was also sent a booklet advising how to set up the internet if you have vista. I managed to set up wired broadband, via the ethernet cable. However, I have got to the point of setting up our wireless connection (I have also purchased the belkin 54bps USB network adapter), and have hit a problem that no one seems to be able to sort yet! The book advises to download vista modem drivers from their website and even though when I click on the link it advises me it has downloaded, when I go to open the file it doesnt load (asks me what program I wish to open it with). Therefore, I cannot go any further, and talktalk's tech support put me through to their geek squad which is £25! Anyone know how to get round this problem? I have tried to install the belkin adapter on its own but that didnt work either. Help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know whole filename of the file you downloaded - primarily the extension it ends in. You might need to right click and go to properties to get the whole file name i.e. filename.zip

It may be that the drivers have been compressed and then we can point you in the right direction for that :)

Also, do you know the model number for the wireless card you have?

Reaction score
I've tried various things such as opening the file directly from the web site and checking for the file type as you suggested. The file doesn't have an extension its just assetserver no .exe or anything. I've saved it as the folder and extracted the asset server file only to have it open up to display the list of programs to run it with. The file seems to be compressed which I think is the root of my problem as I can't seem to uncompress it I can unzip ziped folders but this is a file itself how do I go about unzipping the file? Any advice on this?

Reaction score
Update. My wireless connection is now working! I thought I would try to plug the USB adapter in again, and this time it downloaded the drivers on its own, and now I am connected! Not sure why it didnt do this on its own the first time but heh!

Thanks for your time on this!

Ask a Question