Problem with ActiveX PDF Control

MT

Hi folks:

I'm having a problem with downloading a PDF file from an Internet
site. Instead of getting the file I get a download dialog box prompt
asking if I want to download or open "Adobe Acrobat Control for
ActiveX". Whether I answer open or save I get a message saying that
the file cannot be found on the server. I have Acrobat 5 installed on
this computer.

Now for the strange issues. I usually do my browsing from a Userid
(I'm on WinXP Pro) that is not part of the Administrators group, in an
effort to prevent worms or other evil that gets by the virus software
from propagating on my machine. I tried browsing the same site from
two other Userids on the machine, one with Administrator Group
authority and a different one with just User group authority, and it
worked correctly on both Userids (i.e. I got the PDF file, not the
download dialog box). This told me that the problem had to be some
setting in the HKCU registry entries of just the one Userid, or the
security settings for IE in that Userid. I reset the security
settings for IE to default for the Internet zone, and I uninstalled
and re-installed Acrobat 5. However, neither of these things fixed
the problem. I can still download the PDF file from the other two
userids fine, but continue to get the file download dialog box on my
web browsing Userid.

I suppose I could delete the Userid and recreate it from scratch to
clear the problem, but before I use that brute force method I was
wondering if anyone out there knows which specific registry settings
in HKCU I could try to delete to clear the settings. I've already
tried removing HKCU\Software\Adobe, and that didn't fix it, so I'm
assuming it's a setting somewhere in IE for the activeX controls
rather than in the Adobe section.

Suggestions welcome.

mudtoe

Feng Mao

Hi Mudtoe,

Thank you for posting here!

I would like to suggest you to clear Download Program Files, which stores
the ActiveX Controls for Internet Explorer.

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click on Tools and choose Internet Options from the drop-down menu.
3. On the General tab, click on Settings in the Temporary Internet Files
section.
4. In the Settings window, click on View Objects.
5. This will open a new window entitled Downloaded Program Files.
6. In this window, locate and delete (remove) the Update Class file. Also
remove any other files that might have a damaged or unknown status.
7. Close the Downloaded Program files.

After that, go to Adobe download site to download the latest version of
Adobe Reader:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windo
ws

I hope that it will be helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: MT <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.activex.c
ontrols.webbrowser
| Subject: Problem with ActiveX PDF Control
| Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:19:37 -0400
|
| Hi folks:
|
| I'm having a problem with downloading a PDF file from an Internet
| site. Instead of getting the file I get a download dialog box prompt
| asking if I want to download or open "Adobe Acrobat Control for
| ActiveX". Whether I answer open or save I get a message saying that
| the file cannot be found on the server. I have Acrobat 5 installed on
| this computer.
|
| Now for the strange issues. I usually do my browsing from a Userid
| (I'm on WinXP Pro) that is not part of the Administrators group, in an
| effort to prevent worms or other evil that gets by the virus software
| from propagating on my machine. I tried browsing the same site from
| two other Userids on the machine, one with Administrator Group
| authority and a different one with just User group authority, and it
| worked correctly on both Userids (i.e. I got the PDF file, not the
| download dialog box). This told me that the problem had to be some
| setting in the HKCU registry entries of just the one Userid, or the
| security settings for IE in that Userid. I reset the security
| settings for IE to default for the Internet zone, and I uninstalled
| and re-installed Acrobat 5. However, neither of these things fixed
| the problem. I can still download the PDF file from the other two
| userids fine, but continue to get the file download dialog box on my
| web browsing Userid.
|
| I suppose I could delete the Userid and recreate it from scratch to
| clear the problem, but before I use that brute force method I was
| wondering if anyone out there knows which specific registry settings
| in HKCU I could try to delete to clear the settings. I've already
| tried removing HKCU\Software\Adobe, and that didn't fix it, so I'm
| assuming it's a setting somewhere in IE for the activeX controls
| rather than in the Adobe section.
|
| Suggestions welcome.
|
| mudtoe

MT

Thanks for responding. I looked in the Downloaded Program Files
folder and did not find an "Update Class" file. I did see a
"Downloader Class" file. However, this folder seems to be common for
all Userids as it's under the windows subdirectory, and since it works
fine for all but the one Userid I use for browsing, I tend to doubt
that's the problem. I did go ahead and install Acrobat Reader 6.01,
and that didn't appear to fix anything. Looks like Acrobat 5.0 (the
regular version) still has the file association for .PDF linked to it
rather than the reader, although I'm not sure how the ActiveX controls
for both versions get along (i.e. which control is used).

MT

> [...]

| setting in the HKCU registry entries of just the one Userid, or the
| security settings for IE in that Userid. I reset the security
| settings for IE to default for the Internet zone, and I uninstalled
| and re-installed Acrobat 5. However, neither of these things fixed
| the problem. I can still download the PDF file from the other two
| userids fine, but continue to get the file download dialog box on my
| web browsing Userid.
|
| I suppose I could delete the Userid and recreate it from scratch to
| clear the problem, but before I use that brute force method I was
| wondering if anyone out there knows which specific registry settings
| in HKCU I could try to delete to clear the settings. I've already
| tried removing HKCU\Software\Adobe, and that didn't fix it, so I'm
| assuming it's a setting somewhere in IE for the activeX controls

Feng Mao

Hi Mudtoe,

Thank you for the supplemental information which makes the issue clear to
me!

I noticed that you said that the issue only happen to one User in the
computer. Let us try the below steps to see if it is helpful.

1. Create an new user and make it sure that it has enough privilege
2. Log on as this new user and browe the web to see if it can open the PDF
file with ActiveX control
3. Log on as another user, browse to C:\Documents and Settings, you will
find the folder with the same name as the UserID. Copy all files and
folders from the old one to the new one except NTUSER.DAT and NTUSER.POL,
which are the registry file and policy file
4. Log on as the new user again to see if it can open the PDF file with
ActiveX control.

By the way, it will better to remove the old Acrobat before installing the
new version. If you still need Acrobat to modify PDF file, you may install
it after installing Acrobat Reader 6.01.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: MT <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| Subject: Re: Problem with ActiveX PDF Control
| Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:25:26 -0400
|
| Thanks for responding. I looked in the Downloaded Program Files
| folder and did not find an "Update Class" file. I did see a
| "Downloader Class" file. However, this folder seems to be common for
| all Userids as it's under the windows subdirectory, and since it works
| fine for all but the one Userid I use for browsing, I tend to doubt
| that's the problem. I did go ahead and install Acrobat Reader 6.01,
| and that didn't appear to fix anything. Looks like Acrobat 5.0 (the
| regular version) still has the file association for .PDF linked to it
| rather than the reader, although I'm not sure how the ActiveX controls
| for both versions get along (i.e. which control is used).
|
| MT
|

| On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 07:38:07 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Feng
| Mao) wrote:
|
| >Hi Mudtoe,
| >
| >Thank you for posting here!
| >
| >I would like to suggest you to clear Download Program Files, which
stores
| >the ActiveX Controls for Internet Explorer.
| >
| >1. Open Internet Explorer.
| >2. Click on Tools and choose Internet Options from the drop-down menu.
| >3. On the General tab, click on Settings in the Temporary Internet Files
| >section.
| >4. In the Settings window, click on View Objects.
| >5. This will open a new window entitled Downloaded Program Files.
| >6. In this window, locate and delete (remove) the Update Class file.
Also
| >remove any other files that might have a damaged or unknown status.
| >7. Close the Downloaded Program files.
| >
| >After that, go to Adobe download site to download the latest version of
| >Adobe Reader:

| >ws
| >
| >I hope that it will be helpful.
| >
| >Have a nice day!
| >
| >Thanks & Regards,
| >
| >Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| >Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| >Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >
| >=====================================================
| >When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| >that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >=====================================================
| >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
| >--------------------
| >| From: MT <[email protected]>

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.activex.
| >ontrols.webbrowser
| >| Subject: Problem with ActiveX PDF Control
| >| Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:19:37 -0400
sv3-GfnhEv6wo6jUu9JAxvkkYhTIUDAH4oXNKQ6RPUpcTay5DDI3ur2/GXedoXAMwDGvCqhT8x2 t

yl7sV/I!SFYUIOfxHOQM7mdknRxGpn0cprjkuydihTiK5mE1+spVqcAdpFSsig+kfNLKBa7qrh8
=
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cw i

x.com!newsfeed.cwix.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!loc
| >l1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
| >|
| >| Hi folks:
| >|
| >| I'm having a problem with downloading a PDF file from an Internet
| >| site. Instead of getting the file I get a download dialog box prompt
| >| asking if I want to download or open "Adobe Acrobat Control for
| >| ActiveX". Whether I answer open or save I get a message saying that
| >| the file cannot be found on the server. I have Acrobat 5 installed on
| >| this computer.
| >|
| >| Now for the strange issues. I usually do my browsing from a Userid
| >| (I'm on WinXP Pro) that is not part of the Administrators group, in an
| >| effort to prevent worms or other evil that gets by the virus software
| >| from propagating on my machine. I tried browsing the same site from
| >| two other Userids on the machine, one with Administrator Group
| >| authority and a different one with just User group authority, and it
| >| worked correctly on both Userids (i.e. I got the PDF file, not the
| >| download dialog box). This told me that the problem had to be some
| >| setting in the HKCU registry entries of just the one Userid, or the
| >| security settings for IE in that Userid. I reset the security
| >| settings for IE to default for the Internet zone, and I uninstalled
| >| and re-installed Acrobat 5. However, neither of these things fixed
| >| the problem. I can still download the PDF file from the other two
| >| userids fine, but continue to get the file download dialog box on my
| >| web browsing Userid.
| >|
| >| I suppose I could delete the Userid and recreate it from scratch to
| >| clear the problem, but before I use that brute force method I was
| >| wondering if anyone out there knows which specific registry settings
| >| in HKCU I could try to delete to clear the settings. I've already
| >| tried removing HKCU\Software\Adobe, and that didn't fix it, so I'm
| >| assuming it's a setting somewhere in IE for the activeX controls
| >| rather than in the Adobe section.
| >|
| >| Suggestions welcome.
| >|