Windows XP Problem with ACER ASPIRE 5680

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a new Acer laptop and it keeps switching itself off not long after I boot it up. I am running it off the AC adaptor and the battery is fully charged up.

I booted the laptop up and waited for it to run me through the XP config wizard that you get with a fresh install.

Then I sat through 10 minutes of the Acer management wizard installing all the Acer apps and drivers for LAN, bluetooth etc.

Once that was set up, I wanted to set up a wireless connection, but the laptop switched itself off. It wasn't anything like going into hibernation or shutting down properly. Instead, it just turns off completely and I have to press the power button for it to boot up.

It keeps switching off after 1 or 2 minutes after booting up into the windows desktop. I have not installed anything on it.

The furthest I got was to finish installing Norton (through it's wizard) and upon scanning for updates, it switched off again!!!

I have read there have been lots of problems with Acers (although, I admit, not knowing these problems before I bought it). Does anyone else have the same problem as me?

If so, what did you do to solve the problem? I heard sending the laptop back to Acer is not worth my time as their support is crap.

Any help with this please?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it is running from the AC adapter, that rules out the power supply (probably). Do you get any beeps or warnings before it shuts down?

It sounds like it could be overhearting. Does it last longer the first time it is turned on (compared to the 2nd/3rd...)

Reaction score
There are no beeps or sounds, it just powers off by itself.

I reckon you are right about the overheating issue. I just read on other forums that Acer laptops are known to overheat.

Is there any way to deal with this without voiding my warranty?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Probably not, unless you know what it is exactly - perhaps a broken fan. I'd try and get it done under warranty if possible :)

Reaction score
u could try one of them desktop laptop heat sink things that u put your laptop on top of and it drows the heat from the laptop and them blows it away

just a thort

Ask a Question