Problem Sending JPG Files With OL2000

Rich

hi. the system here is WinXP Pro, SP1, OL2000 running on an Intel 2.4
GHz chip. i access mail via POP on a 56k dial-up.

the problem is that i can send any sort of file as an attachment to an
e-mail message *except* a JPG or GIF file that is more than 3 or 4k
large. smaller JPG's in the 3-4K size send just fine. larger
JPG's/GIF's will not send. OL2000 starts to send the message with the
JPG/GIF attachment and then, after a short time, all send/receive
activity appears to cease. the dialogue box shows progress halts at
about the 50% point and then hangs. OL2000 eventually returns an
error indicating that a connection with my server has been lost (error
code 0x800ccc0f). but the connection is not lost, it is still active.
i can *receive* JPG and GIF files of any size, i just can't send any
over a certain size.

this happens consistently. i can send huge text, html, xls, pdf and
other files but JPG/GIF files above 3-4k will not go. i have tried
JPG's/GIF's from my camera as well as JPG's/GIF's "borrowed" from
various web sites. it doesn't seem to matter. yes, i have been able
to send JPG/GIF files in the past.

what is most interesting is that if i go to my ISP's webmail site,
create and send the message with the JPG/GIF attachment from there
then the message goes as it should.

this is what i have done so far in trying to troubleshoot the problem.
in no particular order:

* i've run an SFC /SCANNOW check with no errors

* i've scanned for viruses (NAV 2004) and spyware, etc (Ad-Aware,
Spybot, PestPatrol), nothing found

* i've used the OL detect and repair utility, same result

* just for grins i've repaired the pst file but no errors or problems
were found

* i have several different e-mail identities and have tried to send
messages with JPG/GIF attachments from them all. same problem..but
that's because my ISP requires me to use their SMTP server when
sending e-mail from any account...even my yahoo account.

* i have been able to successfully send the same JPG/GIF attachment
from a different PC although that PC is running Win98SE and OL2000.

* yes, i have uninstalled and re-installed OL2000.

* yes, i have uninstalled and re-installed the entire office 2000
suite of programs.

* yes, i am using NAV2004 to scan both outbound and inbound e-mail.
i've tried disabling the NAV auto-protection as well as specifically
turning off e-mail scanning...same result

* yes, i am using a firewall. i've unloaded ZoneAlarm with the same
result

* i have searched both the symantec and microsoft knowledge base files
but have not found any articles on point.

* i have spoken to my ISP's technical support department. they blame
microsoft. the best the tech could do was suggest i had a bad DLL
(which is why i ran the SFC /SCANNOW utility). he bases his answer
because i can send a JPG/GIF attachment from the website.

i am stumped. what have i missed? has anyone else run into this
situation? solutions?

thanks in advance.

rich

BD7447

Subject: Problem Sending JPG Files With OL2000
From: Rich (e-mail address removed)
Date: 17/04/2004 23:23 GMT Standard Time

hi. the system here is WinXP Pro, SP1, OL2000 running on an Intel 2.4
GHz chip. i access mail via POP on a 56k dial-up.

the problem is that i can send any sort of file as an attachment to an
e-mail message *except* a JPG or GIF file that is more than 3 or 4k
large. smaller JPG's in the 3-4K size send just fine. larger
JPG's/GIF's will not send. OL2000 starts to send the message with the
JPG/GIF attachment and then, after a short time, all send/receive
activity appears to cease. the dialogue box shows progress halts at
about the 50% point and then hangs. OL2000 eventually returns an
error indicating that a connection with my server has been lost (error
code 0x800ccc0f). but the connection is not lost, it is still active.
i can *receive* JPG and GIF files of any size, i just can't send any
over a certain size.

Check that you are using Plain Text, or HTML, in your message format.

Tools | Options | Mail Format.

I had the same problem today on a friends computer and found this advice by
searching on Google. It cured his problem.

HTH

Rich

Check that you are using Plain Text, or HTML, in your message format.

Tools | Options | Mail Format.

I had the same problem today on a friends computer and found this advice by
searching on Google. It cured his problem.

HTH

thanks for the suggestion. i hadn't thought to try that.
unfortunately it's not the solution. i tried it both ways...HTML and
text..with the same result. the larger JPG/GIF will not send.

i'm at a real loss to understand what might be going on here. any
other suggestions????

rich