Problem Reading/Writing CDs

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right section, this is the first time ive posted on this site. I only made an account here because I must have searched for hours and could not find a solution to my problem.

I have a Dell PC with Windows XP and that ---> TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A , is my CD/DVD drive thing.

Everything says it working perfectly fine, but it's not. First I have to start out saying that a few months ago a virus infected my computer particularly the hard drive. The point is i couldn't do anything with it and my dad eventually had to wipe the hard drive clean (making me lose just about everything.) BEFORE the hard drive was wiped clean, I was able to read blank DVD-RW CDs and copy files to them using Windows Explorer (the drag and drop method) I did not use any third party software to write files. BEFORE I could also play DVDs and what not using a multitude of programs. NOW after my hard drive was wiped clean and everything I am unable to do so. It will not recognize any DVD-RW CDs and I cannot copy/download/write anything to them if I try I receive an error message saying "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?". It gives me the options to retry (doesn't work), skip and cancel. I cannot play DVDs; the computer reads those all right but they will not play in any programs. However, I am able to read CDs with information already on them including DVD-RW CDs that I have written on in the past. I can also read other CDs like game disks. I have looked many times to find a solution. I have found other posts on the web of people getting the aforementioned error message, but the solutions to their problems do not solve mine. I have even tried this ---> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326982 and although mine was set to manual and not disabled I changed it to automatic and started it but that did not solve the problem either. Can anyone please help me? I've tried to explain the problem in the greatest detail possible. I now have more protection against viruses and such but I still feel vulnerable and wish to backup most of my files which I should have done before the incident. Please Help?!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sorry but you are mistaken.

Windows XP has never natively supported recording to DVD.
You must of had the equivilant of InCD (InDVD), which allows this.
Vista is the only O/S to date for end users that allows native DVD writing.

Or you used to write to CD and have got confused.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
JaLing said:

Well Vista is the only Windows O/S to allow native dvd writting. There are other O/S's that will do that.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I know, I know.... but I presumed the topic was about Winodws due to the Win XP part :p

Reaction score
JaLing said:
I know, I know.... but I presumed the topic was about Winodws due to the Win XP part :p

And the same answer I would have given..
IS the DVD player been recognised in Computer Management/Device manager..Are ther right drivers installed ..?

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
IS the DVD player been recognised in Computer Management/Device manager..Are ther right drivers installed ..?

It reads fine.... sounds like the Dell Bloatware needs to be installed.
To play DVDs you need codecs installed in XP.
To write to DVDs you need DVD burning software.

DVD and CD burning methods are extremely different. XP only supports CD burning natively.

Reaction score
lol oh my, im not trying to write to DVDs I was not mistaken. DVD-RWs are not DVDs they're just rewritable CDs, meaning I could drag and drop/ copy and paste/ delete files onto a blank CD at will.

Reaction score
JaLing said:

I was not mistaken, I'm not talking about recording to DVD, and I know Windows does not support that. DVD-RWs are regular CDs theyre just rewritable and have a lot more memory.

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:

the right drivers are installed nothing has changed with my computer other than the fact that the hard drive was wiped clean. That is the source of my problem. I don't know whether something could have been deleted that would prevent me from writing to CDs and watching DVDs and what not. The computer recognizes the drivers and everything but says it all works fine.

Reaction score
skylark008 said:
I was not mistaken, I'm not talking about recording to DVD, and I know Windows does not support that. DVD-RWs are regular CDs theyre just rewritable and have a lot more memory.

Sorry m8... your still mistaken..... or confused on naming conventions.

DVD-RWs are not CDs.....
DVD-RW = Rewritable DVD - Supported only via 3rd party S/W.
CD-RW = Rewritable CD - Supported, if formated.
DVD-R - Supported via S/W.
CD-R - Supported but not reusable after.

DVDs are bigger than CDs. General rule... if it holds more than 800Mb its not a CD. (I say 800 because CDs can occasionally be over-burnt or compress stamped)

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question61.htm

Reaction score
I made the mistake in that I use DVD+RW and not DVD-RW, I didn't know there was a difference , but theyre still CDs

DVD+RW supports random write access, which means that data can be added and removed without erasing the whole disc and starting over (up to about 1000 times). With suitable support from the operating system, DVD+RW media can thus be treated like a large floppy disk, in contrast to DVD-RW which must be erased before re-writing can take place. ---- Wikipedia

I don't understand why everyone is going head over heels about which CD/DVD I'm trying to use. Why can't you people just focus on the problem. The fact is, I used to be able to to put/add files to a CD and now I can't, and I want to know why. Because it only started after my hard drive was erased, I figured that was the source of the problem in that something must have been deleted. It shouldn't matter what CDs/DVDs I'm trying to use and I wish people would stop trying to tell me I'm wrong. I've been using these disks for a long time especially with my current pc so please stop trying to tell me I haven't.

Reaction score
skylark008 said:
I don't understand why everyone is going head over heels about which CD/DVD I'm trying to use. I wish people would stop trying to tell me I'm wrong. I've been using these disks for a long time especially with my current pc so please stop trying to tell me I haven't.

Woooo keep yer pants on..

In the defense of the people that hve been trying to help you, a little bit more clarity in your origonal post could have helped..And as for people trying to tell you what to do, its only because they have experience..Some of those that give advice on here have been around almost since the firt computers (sorry guys) were around, and in my opinion that gives them the right to tell anybody that is asking for help they are wrong..And to add, of all the advice I have seen these guys give, I have not yet seen any of them be wrong

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Listen Master Skylark - you're wrong. Gottit. Wrong.

Wrong inasmuch as you're naming the media incorrectly which is why people advised you about burning to DVD's rather than CD's.

You're calling a CD a DVD-RW - wrong.

A DVD-RW and a DVD+RW are different, yes, but they are not CD's.

So don't get stroppy when people are trying to help you. If you don't like it go elsewhere.

Now then, to the problem at hand. You're using Win XP - have you installed all the updates including Service Pack 3?

As JaLing mentioned, have you reinstalled all the Dell stuff from the CD that came with your computer?

Do those things and it will probably work. Assuming you are using CD's.

And as mentioned previously to view DVD's in Media Player you will need Codecs. Google for an XP Codec pack.

If it does, let us know eh?

If it doesn't, come back here for help.

And if you can't do those things then you'll have to get some third party burning software, like Nero - OEM version is about a fiver.

Good luck :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
skylark008 said:
I made the mistake in that I use DVD+RW and not DVD-RW, I didn't know there was a difference , but theyre still CDs

...I don't understand why everyone is going head over heels about which CD/DVD I'm trying to use. Why can't you people just focus on the problem.

The other posts have been spot on in terms of advice... along with all of the other posters I can promise 100000% that a DVD-RW/+RW is not a CD, but a DVD. They both look the same, but there is a bit difference in the way the data is stored. The reason people are focusing on this is that it is crucial to understand the problem, like JaLing said Windows XP can only natively burn CD's (not DVDs).

Reaction score
I use DVD+RWs. I've been using them since I first got this computer. I've also used other types of CDs too. I can't write/add files to any of them. I can't play regular DVDs either. That's the problem. It shouldn't matter which type of CD or DVD I said I used because I've used many and I have used them. Everyone on here has only tried to tell me that DVD+RWs are DVDs and not CDs. I don't care if I'm wrong on that point because it doesn't matter. I can't put files on ANY CD/DVD.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to clear up a few things;

Does it recognise a disc of any kind when you put it in???

Or

Will it recognise and not burn to it???

Here is a link for the latest driver for your DVD drive

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Samsung/Samsung-SH-W163A-TS01.shtml

Here is a link for the latest Windows Media Player and codec pack

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

K lite codec pack

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

Hope this helps, by the way what software were you using before, to watch and burn dvd.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If people wish to help, a friendly piece of advice. Before answering and asking questions it is perhaps pertinent to actually read the thread and determine whether that question has been asked or not.

Nowt personal ;)

However, I am able to read CDs with information already on them including DVD-RW CDs that I have written on in the past. I can also read other CDs like game disks.

Unless of course the question was referring only to recordable media but that wasn’t made plain.

Can I state quite categorically that there is no such bloody thing as a DVD-RW CD? I can? Good :mad:

Ian outlined the various types of media above. Sticking to those correct descriptions can save a lot of confusion.

Skylark, did you update Win XP? Do you have SP3? Did you search for Codecs?

Well, did you?

I’m outta here before I busta blood vessel….. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Hi,

Or

Will it recognise and not burn to it???

Here is a link for the latest driver for your DVD drive

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Samsung/Samsung-SH-W163A-TS01.shtml

Here is a link for the latest Windows Media Player and codec pack

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

K lite codec pack

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

Hope this helps, by the way what software were you using before, to watch and burn dvd.
it does recognize disks, anything really that already has data on it like installation disks or games. its very strange though. when the drive is idle it'll say 'DVD-RW Drive (D:)' and when I put a blank disk (DVD+RW) in it WILL recognize that there's something in there. The name will change to 'CD Drive (D:)' If I right-click the drive I will get the options to: open, explore, search, autoplay, and erase this CD-RW. however, if I go to properties it will look as if nothing's there ( used space: 0 bytes, free space: 0 bytes etc. )

to add files to a blank CD I just dragged-and-dropped with explorer, i'm not so sure about watching any DVDs because I haven't done it in a long time. it was either WMP or with Media Center.

thanks for your help, i'll check out the sites.

EDIT: I have the latest WMP

Last edited:
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Can I state quite categorically that there is no such bloody thing as a DVD-RW CD? I can? Good :mad:

there are DVD-RW CDs and I did say I made a mistake in that I use DVD+RW CDs they have 4.7 Gb of memory and are rewritable, I can take a picture if you don't believe me.

no one seems to understand that when I say I write to a blank CD I just mean dragging and dropping in explorer, whether it music files, words files, whatever.

my xp is up to date, I have no idea what SP3 is, and I don't know what codecs to look for, thats the problem I don't know what I'm missing that could cause the problem I'm having.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hiya mate,

Yeah sorry Flopps, must've missed it.

Yeah i understand just dragging and dropping, was asking is all.

Okay if XP is upto date then good, SP3 is service pack 3.

As for the codecs use the link i left for the k lite pack.

If still no luck after you have tried all 3 of the links then i found this on the microsoft support site.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

Good luck.

Oh and a last resort if all else fails, go into device manager find you dvd/cd drive and uninstall the drivers, then restart your PC, XP will auto detect the dvd drive as new as it has no drivers and will install them.

Ask a Question