Problem maximizing application sub-windows (not IE)

G

First off, this problem has nothing to do with IE. It instead relates to applications that use what I call "sub-windows" within the main application window

For example, take an e-mail program (mine is Eudora). Most have a default display setup where mailbox windows and message windows will all overlap, similar to having overlapping applications on a Windows desktop. They also allow you to maximize a particular sub-window, which (in effect) puts *all* sub-windows into maximize mode. In this mode, you can no longer grab the edge of the sub-window to re-size it, because the sub-window has no edges in this mode. The sub-window content completely fills whatever space has been allotted within the main application window. Because there are no edges, or even a title bar, the common practice is to move the window buttons to some other space within the main application interface, usually just below the window buttons for the application itself. In this way, the only way to change the sub-window's size is to un-maximize it

Up until a short while ago, this sub-window behavior worked as described. However, it no longer works that way. Now when I click the maximize icon for a sub-window -- in *any* of my applications that use them -- it doesn't truly maximize. It simply stretches to fill the available space within the main application window. The edges and title bar are all still intact, and I can still grab the edges and change its size. This can be more annoying in some programs than others, particularly an image-editing program that likes to size any non-maximized windows to fit the zoom level of the image. If I want to work on the image in maximized mode, and zoom freely without the window re-sizing and showing any other images I have open at the time, I can no longer do it

I don't know if it's a registry entry that got fried somehow, or (more likely) a system file that needs repair. How can I track down this problem and fix it

Thank

J

G

Problem solved. After experiencing some other system errors, it was recommended that I update my video drivers. Once the new drivers were in place, the sub-window operation returned to normal.

Hopefully this info will be of use to someone else facing a similar situation.

JB

Ask a Question