cannot maximize any application window

G

hopefully this is a good place to ask this question. i reviewed the IE newsgroup and saw similar questions but not mine

say i open an application window [any appl - IE, notepad, word, image viewer, solitaire, you name it] in a non-maximized state [not minimized, not maximized, say 800x6700 or something less that full screen size]. say i want to maximize it to have it occupy the entire desktop real estate. [the maximize button now looks like two mini-windows.] then, say i want to un-maximize it back to the smaller size [so the maximize button now looks like one mini-window]. great!

up until the christmas holidays, i was able to do this any time i wanted. less than full size, full size, less than full size

over the christmas holidays, i let some kids play games on my system and now i cannot :^

when i click on the maximize button, the appl window goes to full size but then *immediately* resizes itself to probably a pixel or so less than full size [i can move it around, something you cant do w/ a maximized window]. the maximize button morphs into the two mini-windows form but then immediately morphs back to the one mini-window form. this same behavior occurs if i a) double click on the title bar or b) select "maximize" from the window menu [icon on the left side of the title bar] [two other ways to maximize/un-maximize a window]

is there some sort of registry value that says "allow maximized window" that might be set to "false"? where can i look to find out how to get real maximized windows back?

thanks in advance for this perplexing problem. i'm using windows xp home and have been using windows since win 98. so, it's not like i'm a newbie or virgin

edward pere
sunny dallas, t

G

With xp as you leave an application page such as IE,the size is remembere
in xp,open a web page,set the middle window to single,then hoover pointe
to a side,when it double arrows,drag the page to full size,do this at all 4 sides
Same in other applications,only cmd (DOS) window it wont work.Also,make sur
youre graphic drivers are the latest,you should also go to macromedia.com,instal
shockwave and then flash player,search at microsoft will get you thier.

G

andrew

thanks for the suggestion. however, that's the one i read several times in the windows IE newsgroup. and it's not what i want to do

what i really want to do is 1) open an appl window in less than maximized size, 2) fully maximize it using the middle window button on the right side of the title bar, then 3) return it to its original size using the middle window button on the right side of the title bar. kind of like minimize then restore

up until those pesky kids banged on my system :^), i could do this. dont know what they did. i do remember coming in after they were on it for a while and the entire system was frozen - no keyboard input of any kind!

oh well..
edward

Ask a Question