Private LAN, Zone Alarm & Setting Up Remote Desktop - Sorta Stuck

CT

Hi,

Traffic is really low at this newsgroup,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (where I originally posted),
so thought it would be okay to post here as well.

Hi,

Trying to set up Windows Remote Desktop following the instructions
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

Also following this:
-------
Connecting Within a Local LAN:

"Is this over your local LAN? If so there is no need to open any ports
on the router. Just call the Remote Desktop (RDP) host from the RDP
client using the hosts local LAN IP address. Of course you need to
configure any software firewall installed on the RDP host to allow
incoming RDP requests.

[...]

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)"
--------

1. How do I determine the desktop (host) computer's IP address?

2. Whether it's static or dynamic doesn't apply to a private home
network, correct? What's the difference between static and dynamic IP
addresses? I'll Google this, too.

3. At MS's website article, I've finished only up to step four (and
checked all the Windows Firewall settings even though I'm using only
the router's hardware firewall and Zone Alarm software firewalls on
each computer). Now, I'm stumped. Unsure how to configure ZoneAlarm
to "allow incoming RDP requests", as Al Jarvi mentions above..

This is what I believe is correct: Start > All Programs > Accessories
Communications. Right-click Remote Desktop Connection > Properties.
CTRL-C the info listed as "Target" and then CTRL-V this into Zone
Alarm's Program Control - Add area. Now, "Remote Desktop Connection"
appears in the Program Control List.

There are four question marks after it. Two under Access <Trusted>
<Internet> and two under Server <Trusted> <Internet>.

Do I select "Allow" for Access <Trusted> <Internet> and "Allow" for
Server <Trusted> and "Block" for Server <Internet>?

Am I even _close_ to understanding what "configure any software
firewall installed on the Remote Desktop host to allow incoming RDP
requests" means? :)

4. Also, Can someone tell me: What does "locked" mean in Step 9?
"Leave this computer running, locked, and connected to the corporate
network with Internet access." I don't think this applies in my case
either, as I'm the only who uses the host computer (in my home
office).

If I can just get past these few steps, I'll be ready to test Remote
Desktop.

Thank You!
Cheryl

PD43

CT said:
Hi,

Traffic is really low at this newsgroup,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (where I originally posted),
so thought it would be okay to post here as well.

This makes 4 posts in about as many hours... 2 there, two here.

BE PATIENT.

Nepatsfan

Answered inline.

CT said:
[...]

Since you're connecting over your LAN, you don't have to worry about IP
addresses. You simply enter the name of the remote computer in the Computer box.
See the second part of that Microsoft article, Connect your remote computer to
the host computer

If you're curious as to what the IP address is for the computer, go to Start ->
Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
This should launch a command prompt window.
At the prompt, enter the following command.

ipconfig /all

The IP address should be something like 192.168.1.xxx.

2. Whether it's static or dynamic doesn't apply to a private home
network, correct? What's the difference between static and dynamic IP
addresses? I'll Google this, too.

If all your computers are connected to a router, they are being issued dynamic
IP addresses. Static IP addresses can be configured but since you can connect
using the name of the host computer, why bother.

[...]

You'd have to check Zone Alarm's web site to see how this is configured. I'm not
familiar with the program. In order for Remote Desktop to work properly, the
firewall has to be configured to allow traffic on TCP port 3389.
4. Also, Can someone tell me: What does "locked" mean in Step 9?
"Leave this computer running, locked, and connected to the corporate
network with Internet access." I don't think this applies in my case
either, as I'm the only who uses the host computer (in my home
office).

It's a security issue. Keep in mind that the account you're using to log onto
the host computer has to have a non-blank password.
If I can just get past these few steps, I'll be ready to test Remote
Desktop.

Thank You!
Cheryl

Good luck

Nepatsfan

CT

Answered inline.

[...]

Hi and thanks for your help,

I tried the easy way and simply launched the Remote Desktop Connection
then typed in the host computer's name. Zone Alarm pipes up with a
warning that this program is trying to access the internet <Allow>
<Deny>. Second alert states that the program is trying to access the
trusted zone <Allow> <Deny>.

I'm familiar with these alerts and know what programs to allow or
deny. But in this case, I denied both because I don't know why it
would be trying to access the internet if I typed in the Host
computer's name. Both the desktop and the laptop are on the same
private network.

Would somebody who has a private network and uses Remote Desktop &
Zone Alarm _please_ tell me why Remote Desktop wants to connect to the
internet? What settings to use for Remote Desktop in Zone Alarm's
Program Control area, if any?

I've contacted support at Zone Alarm's webpage. It may take up to 48
hours to get a reply from them.

Sorry to be such a pest here. :-/ Life used to be sooooo
simple. :)

Cheryl

Nepatsfan

CT said:
Answered inline.
[...]

The reason why this isn't simple is because you've introduced a third party
firewall program, Zone Alarm, into the equation. Personally, having your
computers behind a NAT router and Windows XP's firewall running on your
computers should be plenty of security. That said, if you want to use ZA, see if
these instructions help you sort out the connection problem.

To get Zone Alarm to play nicely with Remote Desktop, you're going to have to
add your local network to the list of Trusted Zones on both the host computer
and the client.

Open Zone Alarm and click on the Firewall tab in the left hand pane.
In the right hand pane, click on the Zones tab.
At the bottom of the pane, click on the Add button.
Select IP range from the menu.

Note: If you only wanted to add a single IP address, you would have to configure
your computers with static IP addresses. Personally, I'd keep your current
dynamic IP scheme in place.

In the Add IP Range dialog, make sure Trusted is entered in the Zone box.
In the first IP Address box, enter the starting address for your LAN. It should
be something like 192.168.1.100. Note: Check your router to see exactly what
address range exists for your LAN. It will be on the Setup page of your Linksys
WRT54GX2.
In the second address box enter the last IP address for your LAN. It will
probably be 192.168.1.150.
Enter a name such as Local Network or simply LAN.
Click OK.
In the bottom corner, hit the Apply button.

Now, when you go to run Remote Desktop, select Deny when asked to provide access
over the internet. Select Allow for Trusted. Hopefully, you will now be able to
complete the connection.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

CT

Answered inline.
[...]

I'm keeping it in place.
In the Add IP Range dialog, make sure Trusted is entered in the Zone box.
In the first IP Address box, enter the starting address for your LAN. It should
be something like 192.168.1.100. Note: Check your router to see exactly what
address range exists for your LAN. It will be on the Setup page of your Linksys
WRT54GX2.

Found it easily.
In the second address box enter the last IP address for your LAN. It will
probably be 192.168.1.150.
Enter a name such as Local Network or simply LAN.
Click OK.
In the bottom corner, hit the Apply button.

Now, when you go to run Remote Desktop, select Deny when asked to provide access
over the internet. Select Allow for Trusted. Hopefully, you will now be able to
complete the connection.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Thank you so very, very much, Nepatsfan. It works. I appreciate the
walk-through more than you know!

Cheers!
Cheryl

Nepatsfan

CT said:
Answered inline.
[...]

You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let us know you've got Remote
Desktop working.

Nepatsfan