Printing problems with Terminal Server

Hi all.

I am having HUGE problems with my Users when they try to
print on printers that have been connected through the
network to a windows2000 printserver.
Occasionally they get error- messages in Excel or Word or
any other applications. Excel says "Printer unreachable",
Word gives a memory error. Once this error appears it
doesn't disappear.
The only way I can get them back to successful printing is
that I login to the Terminal Server as Administrator and
connect the printer for myself and print on it. After that
the users can instantly print also.
Next morning I can repeat the procedure because a
different user has the problem on a different printer.
I am doing this for weeks now since I can't find the
problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanx in advance

Andywest

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Andywest,

Thanks for your posting here.

First let's confirm the following information:

1. the clients print in terminal session or just print on their clients
locally?

2. Does the problem occur in Notepad ?

3. Can users open the properties of the printer? Is there any print job in
the queue?

4. Is there related error message in the Event Logs on print server?

I would like to recommend that you refer to the following docuemnt to
install the network printer on another server.

300610 How To Set Up a Print Queue in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300610

300392 How To Install and Configure a File and Print Server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300392

314959 HOW TO: Configure a Standard TCP/IP Port for Remote Printing by Using
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314959

Then share the printer in your network and connect the new printer server
from your clients. Does the problem occur on the new print server?

Best regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: <[email protected]>
Subject: Printing problems with Terminal Server
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:23:07 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
[...]

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply.
You asked alot of questions so I will need some time to
follow some of your hints (I am not in the office today
and tomorrow, so I will start on Monday). Maybe I can
answer a few of them already.
1. the clients print in terminal session or just print on their clients
locally?

They print in terminal sessions with connected printers
2. Does the problem occur in Notepad ?

I haven't tried but I will the next time I have a User
that calls me.
3. Can users open the properties of the printer? Is there any print job in
the queue?

No Jobs in Queue as far as I know. Properties: haven't
tried.
4. Is there related error message in the Event Logs on
print server?

No.
I would like to recommend that you refer to the following docuemnt to
install the network printer on another server.

300610 How To Set Up a Print Queue in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300610

300392 How To Install and Configure a File and Print Server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300392

314959 HOW TO: Configure a Standard TCP/IP Port for Remote Printing by Using
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314959

Then share the printer in your network and connect the new printer server
from your clients. Does the problem occur on the new
print server?

As I said: I will look at all the documents and try
different things. If I am not successful I will post again
in this Thread.

Thanks again.

Andywest

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Andywest,

Based on my expeiences, the issue may be related with Office. So, we need
to know if the issue occurs in Notepad.

Now I would like to recommend tha tyou try latest tool on the client.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8255ffc-4b4a-40e7-
a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

In additin, you can also try to reinstall the latest printer driver on the
Terminal Server.

If the problem still persists, it will be better that you collect the
screen shots for the detailed error message. It will be helpful for our
troublethooting.

Have a nice day!