Printer Redirection Limit?

Is there a limit to how many printers will be redirected when logging into
Remote Desktop on a Windows 2000 server? I have an department administrator
that is the administrator for several locations so he has several printers
configured on his laptop. However two of the printers that he needs to print
to do not redirect when he logs into the server. We are able to see these
printers properly when we set them up on a test box (just the two of them)
and log on to the Terminal Server.

So is there a limit and what is the limit? Is there a work around?

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

JTT

Vera Noest [MVP]

There's a KB article which mentions problems with more than 21
printers. Can't find it right now, but I'm sure about the number
21.

Is there anything in the EventLog which mentions these 2 printers?

Note that installing the same printers on a different client OS
might give you a slightly different printer driver (name). That can
make all the difference between automatic redirection of the
printer or not.

Then there are 3rd party applications which might have their own
limits on the number of printers they can handle.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

Vera-

I've looked at the event log and there is no mention of these other
printers. I'm not sure how many printers are configured, but I have an
appointment with him this afternoon in which I will check.

The print drivers and names are the same. These are networked printers and
both client OS's are identical. We're not running anything out of the
ordinary that I can think of that would cause printing issues, we haven't had
this problem in the past but I also don't think there has ever been anyone
with as many printers as he has.

JTT

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

Based on my research, I cannot find there is limitation for the
redirection printers. I would like to provide you with the following
information for your reference:

Windows 2000 Terminal Services does not redirect network printers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q264039/

Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not
Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361

Frequently Asked Questions About Terminal Services
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/terminal/termin
al_faq.mspx

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SlRU?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Printer Redirection Limit?
| Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:55:45 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients
|
| Is there a limit to how many printers will be redirected when logging
into
| Remote Desktop on a Windows 2000 server? I have an department
administrator
| that is the administrator for several locations so he has several
printers
| configured on his laptop. However two of the printers that he needs to
print
| to do not redirect when he logs into the server. We are able to see
these
| printers properly when we set them up on a test box (just the two of
them)
| and log on to the Terminal Server.
|
| So is there a limit and what is the limit? Is there a work around?
|
| Thanks in advance for any help or information.
|
| JTT

Vera Noest [MVP]

OK, I found the article which mentions 21 or more printers as a
problematic number. The problem is though that the printers aren't
removed, so it doesn't seem to apply to your situation.
But then, with soo many redirected printers, I would expect an
excessive logon time and possibly even a time-out somewhere???

822143 - Printers Remain Installed on a Terminal Server After You
Disconnect from the Terminal Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822143

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net

I sat down at the Admin's machine yesterday and he had the printers setup to
print directly to the IP address of the printer and not going through the
Print server like his other printers. Once I added the printers through the
server they showed up as they should.

Thanks for everyone's help.

JTT

Jason Tan

Dear JTT,

Thank you for your reply and the additional feedback on how you were
successful in resolving this issue. If you have any other questions or
concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure
to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SlRU?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Printer Redirection Limit?
| Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:12:13 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients
|
| I sat down at the Admin's machine yesterday and he had the printers setup
| print directly to the IP address of the printer and not going through the
| Print server like his other printers. Once I added the printers through
the
| server they showed up as they should.
|
| Thanks for everyone's help.
|
| JTT
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|

| > Hello,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > Based on my research, I cannot find there is limitation for the
| > redirection printers. I would like to provide you with the following
| > information for your reference:
| >
| > Windows 2000 Terminal Services does not redirect network printers
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q264039/
| >
| > Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not
| > Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302361
| >
| > Frequently Asked Questions About Terminal Services

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/terminal/termin
| > al_faq.mspx
| >
| > Hope the information helps.
| >
| > Best Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SlRU?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Printer Redirection Limit?
| > | Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:55:45 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients
| > print
| > | to do not redirect when he logs into the server. We are able to see
| > these
| > | printers properly when we set them up on a test box (just the two of
| > them)
| > | and log on to the Terminal Server.
| > |
| > | So is there a limit and what is the limit? Is there a work around?
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance for any help or information.
| > |
| > | JTT
| > |