Windows Vista Printer installation issue

Reaction score
FYI don't type too long of a message because logs you out and all your writing gets lost as it tells you to log in...

I bought an ACER "aspire" pc at a dixon's or a curry's some weeks ago ( I was lazy... I know) and have been going through the painful process of reinstalling everything on vista (which generally requires downloading entirely new software...

so ** I plug in my Brother MFC-110C (which is basically their cheapest model that I could simply throw away except that when I bought the computer I spent like £50 on new printer cartridges)... and the "found new hardware" bubble pops up like normal.

It then requests my permission and tells me it is searching for drivers for which the information window says:

USB Composite device (Ready to use)
Unidentified device (searching for drivers) then (failed)
Unidentified device (searching for drivers) then (failed)
USB mass storage device (ready to use)
Brother DCP-110C USB Device (ready to use)

Then a window pops up with the following:
"windows has found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it
Brother DCP-110C
The system cannot find the file specified
...contact the manufacturer"

At which point I downloaded the Brother approved driver from the website, which installs like a dream, until it tells me to plug in and turn on my printer... As soon as I do that the brother program continues to sit there and wait until it sees the printer while Vista takes me back to point **above

The manufacturers' installation program stalls and the vista plug and play has the same result...

I have heard it can be devastating to turn off your plug and play (and can't figure out how to do it) - any other ideas?

Many thanks,
E

ps - I did contact the manufacturer and I got an email back telling me I had a bad cab file and to run their uninstall program and reinstall their drivers... it didn't work any differently

Last edited:

Ask a Question