Print pictures that span pages

Allen Davis

When I try and print a GIF image in IE6 from Windows XP Pro it only prints
one page. But the same GIF image from the same web site in IE5 from Windows
98 prints the whole image and properly breaks it across two pages. What
gives?

Benny Fu

Dear Allen,

Thank you for your posting.

The issue may relate to the "Use StyleSheets" registry key. Let us check as
follows:

1. Click Start => Run, type REGEDIT and click OK.
2. Locate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
3. Does the "Use StyleSheets" key exist? If so, check if it is set to No.
If so, set the "Use StyleSheets" to Yes.

If the key "Use StyleSheets" does not exist, let us check the following
settings:

1. Does the issue occur with any websites? Please let me know the website
address.

2. If you save the website locally on your hard disk, does the issue occur
with the page when you open it from hard disk locally?

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "Allen Davis" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Print pictures that span pages
| Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:04:12 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| When I try and print a GIF image in IE6 from Windows XP Pro it only prints
| one page. But the same GIF image from the same web site in IE5 from
Windows
| 98 prints the whole image and properly breaks it across two pages. What
| gives?

Benny Fu

Dear Allen,

Thank you for your reply.

In regards to the big pictures larger than the paper size, IE cannot print
it properly. IE only has the function to resize the pictures automatically
to view, but it cannot fit size to paper properly automatically. You can
set images resizing as follows:

1. Open IE.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, check "Enable Automatic Image Resizing" under
Multimedia.
4. Click Apply and OK.

You can view the pictures with fit size in IE now.

To print the pictures, I suggest you save the pictures to the hard drive
first and then import them to Word and then print them. Although this
method does not entirely meet your requirements, we are happy to offer it
to you as a partial workaround. Thank you for your understanding.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of
further assistance.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "Allen Davis" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Print pictures that span pages
| Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:46:12 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| (For clarification, I first noticed this problem when attempting to print
| GIF image opened directly in IE via a link from an HTML page. The image is
| not placed in an HTML page but is a raw GIF image.)
|
| The Use StyleSheets value did not exist when I checked for it in my
| registry. I did try adding it and setting the value to "yes" out of
| curiosity but the problem persisted so removed the value. I don't know if
| can replicate the problem on another web site. I'd have to find one with a
| link to a large GIF or JPG image that's not placed in an HTML page and I
| don't know of any offhand. I can say that when I open large images
directly
| from my hard drive in IE and try printing them the same thing happens.
Only
| what fits on one piece of letter paper will actually print.
|

| | > Dear Allen,
| >
| > Thank you for your posting.
| >
| > The issue may relate to the "Use StyleSheets" registry key. Let us check
| as
| > follows:
| >
| > 1. Click Start => Run, type REGEDIT and click OK.
| > 2. Locate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main
| > 3. Does the "Use StyleSheets" key exist? If so, check if it is set to
No.
| > If so, set the "Use StyleSheets" to Yes.
| >
| > If the key "Use StyleSheets" does not exist, let us check the following
| > settings:
| >
| > 1. Does the issue occur with any websites? Please let me know the
website
| > address.
| >
| > 2. If you save the website locally on your hard disk, does the issue
occur
| > with the page when you open it from hard disk locally?
| >
| > If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks and have a good day!
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Benny Fu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > Microsoft Corporation

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Allen Davis" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Print pictures that span pages
| > | Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:04:12 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > |
| > | When I try and print a GIF image in IE6 from Windows XP Pro it only
| prints
| > | one page. But the same GIF image from the same web site in IE5 from
| > Windows
| > | 98 prints the whole image and properly breaks it across two pages.
What
| > | gives?
| > |
| > |
| > |

Allen Davis

But IE can print pictures larger than the paper size (height at least)
properly; at least, IE 5 can. That's the rub. I've got a 98 box with IE 5.0
that can and an XP box with IE 6.0 that can't. It's not a killer because
posting this GIF was a quick way to disseminate some necessary information
until my project managers all get more up to date software tools (read
Project & Visio 2002(3)). But it makes getting a hardcopy of this data a
pain in the subprocedure. And a bit maddening that old IE can do it and new
IE can't.

Shrug.

Benny Fu

Dear Allen,

Thank you for your reply.

When you try to Print Pictures that are larger than the print area, only
the upper, left corner is printed in a single sheet. IE5.5 or later version
does not print multiple pages for pictures that do not fit the page.
Therefore, you cannot use IE6 to print multiple pages for large pictures
that do not fit the page.

To work around the issue, you can use IE5.0 to print the large pictures on
multiple sheets, or you can save the Picture to the Harddrive and open it
using Paint. (MSPaint) It will print large pictures on multiple pages.
> [...]

| is
| > | not placed in an HTML page but is a raw GIF image.)
| > |
| > | The Use StyleSheets value did not exist when I checked for it in my
| > | registry. I did try adding it and setting the value to "yes" out of
| > | curiosity but the problem persisted so removed the value. I don't know
| if
| > | can replicate the problem on another web site. I'd have to find one
with
| > | link to a large GIF or JPG image that's not placed in an HTML page
and I
| > | don't know of any offhand. I can say that when I open large images
| > directly
| > | from my hard drive in IE and try printing them the same thing happens.
| > Only
| > | what fits on one piece of letter paper will actually print.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Allen Davis

Okay, now the inevitable "Why did that get changed?" question. And not
necessarily one that requires an answer but I wouldn't get to sleep at night
had I not asked it out loud. It seems that, in this regard, IE6 is less
functional than IE5. But I can learn to live with it, heh.

Thanks again for your insight Benny. I do appreciate the time you took
looking into this isssue.

Benny Fu

Dear Allen,

Thank you for your reply and understanding.

I will do my best to see that your feedback is routed to the appropriate
channel. We have stringent program quality goals and metrics that must be
met before its release, and we strive to capture any and all product
feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft
products to meet customer needs. This is exactly why feedback such as yours
is always taken very seriously.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "Allen Davis" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Print pictures that span pages
| Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:42:32 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| Okay, now the inevitable "Why did that get changed?" question. And not
| necessarily one that requires an answer but I wouldn't get to sleep at
night
| had I not asked it out loud. It seems that, in this regard, IE6 is less
| functional than IE5. But I can learn to live with it, heh.
|
| Thanks again for your insight Benny. I do appreciate the time you took
| looking into this isssue.
|
| | > Dear Allen,
| >
| > Thank you for your reply.
| >
| > When you try to Print Pictures that are larger than the print area, only
| > the upper, left corner is printed in a single sheet. IE5.5 or later
| version
| > does not print multiple pages for pictures that do not fit the page.
| > Therefore, you cannot use IE6 to print multiple pages for large pictures
| > that do not fit the page.
| >

| > To work around the issue, you can use IE5.0 to print the large pictures
on
| > multiple sheets, or you can save the Picture to the Harddrive and open
it
| > using Paint. (MSPaint) It will print large pictures on multiple pages.
| > Thank you for your understanding.
| >
| > Thanks and have a good day!
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Benny Fu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > Microsoft Corporation

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Allen Davis" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Print pictures that span pages
| > | Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:33:40 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > |
| > | But IE can print pictures larger than the paper size (height at least)
| > | properly; at least, IE 5 can. That's the rub. I've got a 98 box with
IE
| > 5.0
| > | that can and an XP box with IE 6.0 that can't. It's not a killer
because
| > | posting this GIF was a quick way to disseminate some necessary
| information
| > | until my project managers all get more up to date software tools (read
| > | Project & Visio 2002(3)). But it makes getting a hardcopy of this
data a
| > | pain in the subprocedure. And a bit maddening that old IE can do it
and
| > new
| > | IE can't.
| > |