presumed infected and looking for hijackthis

Reaction score
hi everyone.

Since a day or so my computer started slowing down horribly.
The task manager indicates the processor running at over 50% most of the time (except when Im practically doing nothing) and it goes to a full 100% at the slightest effort, especially any 'real time' applications. It seems to be getting worse. I played this flash mmorpg online yesterday wich worked perfectly and today I can hardly get to move around in it at all.

There are only 2 things I can imagine somehow being the cause of this:
1) I fooled around on some unsavory sites a couple days ago (mostly out of pre exam boredom syndrome)... infection?
2) before 1) i had this screen before startup one time saying something about my adaptor not adapting properly (I'd get the proper wording once I see it again I suppose) and then I chose to let it do some tests. This apparelty caused my computer to run an amount of cpu tests that took so long I just skipped it eventually.

So anyways my best guess is infection. Im really worried because my comp seems crippled as it is now, seriously.
I would go to bleepingcomputer to post a log file (altho that would prolly lead to a team of experts seeing what sites I visited) but it seems the former hijackthis dl page doesnt work anymore.
Is there any way I can still dl it? By the way I still have an older version on my older pc but will that be any good though?
Also, could it be something else? how do I begin to distinguish if its really infection and not some other software or hardware problem?

Im looking forward to some help with this, really.
I suppose Ill be in safe mode in the mean time seeing what I can do with the most obvious anti spyware tools.

Have a happy 2009

Reaction score
neurotrash1982 said:
hi everyone.

Since a day or so my computer started slowing down horribly.
The task manager indicates the processor running at over 50% most of the time (except when Im practically doing nothing) and it goes to a full 100% at the slightest effort, especially any 'real time' applications. It seems to be getting worse. I played this flash mmorpg online yesterday wich worked perfectly and today I can hardly get to move around in it at all.

There are only 2 things I can imagine somehow being the cause of this:
1) I fooled around on some unsavory sites a couple days ago (mostly out of pre exam boredom syndrome)... infection?
2) before 1) i had this screen before startup one time saying something about my adaptor not adapting properly (I'd get the proper wording once I see it again I suppose) and then I chose to let it do some tests. This apparelty caused my computer to run an amount of cpu tests that took so long I just skipped it eventually.

So anyways my best guess is infection. Im really worried because my comp seems crippled as it is now, seriously.
I would go to bleepingcomputer to post a log file (altho that would prolly lead to a team of experts seeing what sites I visited) but it seems the former hijackthis dl page doesnt work anymore.
Is there any way I can still dl it? By the way I still have an older version on my older pc but will that be any good though?
Also, could it be something else? how do I begin to distinguish if its really infection and not some other software or hardware problem?

Im looking forward to some help with this, really.
I suppose Ill be in safe mode in the mean time seeing what I can do with the most obvious anti spyware tools.

Have a happy 2009

Downlad and install and then run Super Anti Spyware and Spybot Search and destroy and see what happens...Run them in safe mode and disconnect from the internet...
And hey, screw waht a bunch of experts see what you have been viewing...So long as its not illegal, what you do in the confides of your own room is your bussiness, it doesn't make you into a monster or anything...
Anyway install and run the above to and let us know what happens..

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
Download link for HijackThis from TrendMicro:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

I've never seen any logs from any tools or fixes that show a history of where you've been online. That's your business, not anyone else's :) . The authors of the programs are careful not to allow any sensitive information (history, serial numbers, etc) from being made publicly available :) .

Ask a Question