Bargain Pre-Order Windows 7 from £44.97!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Microsoft have a pre-order available for UK users (while stocks last), which allow you to pick up a copy of the new Windows 7 OS for considerably less than it will sell for in future. These are "full version" editions, not the upgrade edition which is no longer available in Europe.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - £44.97 from Amazon
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - £89.97 from Amazon

Bit of a bargain! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Full versions ??

err, not being funny but the "E" means we cannot get on the internet ... no one bought the "N" version of Windows, so, not for me. ;)

did anyone see whether these are 32/64bit?

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be able to buy a non-E version of Windows 7 in the UK - I've got no idea how they are going to get round the browser situation. It's easy enough to save a browser to a USB drive from another PC, and it means you'll save over £50 if you're going to buy W7 :)

The DVDs should include a 32 and 64 bit of W7 on the same disc :)

Reaction score
Sold out already of the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium E.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OMG that was fast :eek:

Play.com still have a few pre-order copies, so might be worth a try there if you are after one :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
OMG that was fast :eek:

Play.com still have a few pre-order copies, so might be worth a try there if you are after one :)

Yeah. I have now ordered it from Play.com its going to be released a few days later than Amazon but I dont mind as I still got it for a good price. :)

Have you ordered your copy yet?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry Ian, but you ain't supposed to be able to buy a non "N" version of Windows XP here in Europe ... even the European OEM's like Dell, HP & Acer don't "sell" it. :p

The N Editions, as you may recall, were designed to satisfy an EU antitrust ruling against MS which stipulated that Microsoft must ship a version of Windows XP that did not include Windows Media Player (WMP) or any associated files.

Do you have a copy? Does anyone here on the forums have a copy? I don't think we even care.

The first thing Windows XP "N" did when faced with "playing" any Media Player files was, it pointed you to download the latest version of MP. :lol:

Now, the point I'm getting at with IE being stripped out is, Joe Blogs in the street.

I really can't see OEMs selling Vista Second Edition (W7) with an "E" in the tag.

I won't be buying that version. ;)

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
moz-screenshot.jpg
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/684/89...remium-E-Retail/Product.html?searchtype=genre

This RETAIL version, does this mean I can put it on my pc and then when I build another pc I can install it on it ( obviuosly after uninstalling on the old pc) ????

So the HOME version does not have the XP compatability mode so me older XP programs will be useless ??

I'm a little confused. :confused:

Reaction score
I've not yet upgraded my laptop with the free Upgrade to Vista Business yet!
May be i will miss it out & go straight to Windows 7.
Because i'm lazy today, what are the system specs for Windows 7?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Microsoft e-mailed me this morning with that offer, it's available from 8 different suppliers.

If Amazon have sold out already I doubt if there's any chance of the others still having copies.

How typical of Microsoft to limit the number of copies, after the Vista ripoff a fairer method would have been to just put a time limit on the offer.

Just how much money do Microsoft want?

As for no browser, that wouldn't bother me one bit, it's no problem for me to download IE if I want, in fact if Win 7 comes without IE I might just get all perverse and use Firefox or Opera, just for the hell of it :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Sold out already of the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium E.
They must have more available now as I've just ordered one :nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've just seen in the paper, £49.99 at PC World.

Reaction score
Lads,
i'm a little confused :confused: at this stage cos i have read about loadsa different types of Windows 7.
Is this windows 7 Home premium E the mutts n***s or what?...Is this the same as what everybody was downloading a few weeks ago.
Also would i have to uninstall Vista??

Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Lads,
i'm a little confused :confused: at this stage cos i have read about loadsa different types of Windows 7.
Is this windows 7 Home premium E the mutts n***s or what?...Is this the same as what everybody was downloading a few weeks ago.
Also would i have to uninstall Vista??

Zzzzz

Hi Zed,

Yes this thread is for Windows 7 Home Premium E edition and Windows 7 Pro E. The E edition does not include IE but you can download this through windows update, or save it to a USB stick and then install it that way. You would also need to do a clean install with this edition to so you would need to back up all your data first before installing it.

Check this out for more information.

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Zed,

Yes this thread is for Windows 7 Home Premium E edition and Windows 7 Pro E. The E edition does not include IE but you can download this through windows update, or save it to a USB stick and then install it that way. You would also need to do a clean install with this edition to so you would need to back up all your data first before installing it.

Check this out for more information.

Thanks Wiz...I'll keep that link for when i get W7...Better start making Back ups LOL.
Thanks again.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
Microsoft have upped the price from the discounted cost.
Amazon have already up their price in line with Microsoft, but Dixons remain at the lower price.
Seems that the MS site crashed with so many people wanting to buy at a discount!!

Prices have now increased to £79.99 for Windows 7 Home Premium
£189.99 for Windows 7 Professional
£199.99 for Windows 7 Ultimate.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's £75.00 at Play.Com at the moment.

I'm wondering whether I could still get it for £50.00 via the e-mail Microsoft sent me but it doesn't seem hopeful.

This is so frustrating as I'm not in a position to buy anything online right now otherwise I would have purchased Win 7 as soon as I got the MS e-mail a couple of days ago.

I have just changed bank accounts and my money is in the new account. Have received a cheque book and PIN but still waiting on the Debit card, hence can't make a purchase.

Which means I'll probably end up paying more than I could have. Oh well.

To do a fresh install on my Vista machine is going to be somewhat traumatic for me I feel.

So much stuff I'm used to on this machine, lots of games too, which involves lots of patches and save games.

It's worth mentioning here that my Vista install has been the longest lasting Microsoft Operating System I've ever had.

Eighteen months old now, used every day and no problems at all worth talking about (only notable prob being the inablity to install SP2).

It has been, and is, solid as a rock.

Which if Win 7 is basically an upgraded Vista bodes well for it's future.

But - and I know I keep going on about it ;) - I still think Win 7 should have been a free Service Pack for Vista Licence holders :mad:

Ask a Question