Bargain Pre-Order Windows 7 from £44.97!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit said:
Microsoft have upped the price from the discounted cost.
Amazon have already up their price in line with Microsoft, but Dixons remain at the lower price.
Seems that the MS site crashed with so many people wanting to buy at a discount!!

Prices have now increased to £79.99 for Windows 7 Home Premium
£189.99 for Windows 7 Professional
£199.99 for Windows 7 Ultimate.
MS did state there would be only a limited amount available at the cheaper price.....but as feckit points out Dixons still have Home Premium available at £44.97 with free delivery if you get in quick :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Ady & feckit :)

Debit card arrived today, order for £44.97 inc postage from Dixons confirmed :thumb:

Now I only have to wait three months for my goods ;)

I have been very vocal in protesting about Microsoft charging full price for Win 7 but 45 quid is just about acceptable so I have (almost) been placated :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Glad you snaffled one Flops :thumb:

If anyone else is interested they still have the Professional E version available too at £89.97 and free delivery as well if you search their site hard enough :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm still not sure what we will get ... "E" or not to E

I have read that the EUC are a bit peeved at MS for removing IE completely, and the EUC have still to accept what MS plan to release. Seems the EUC want MS to "bundle" a variety of Browsers and let the customer decide.

One thing I do notice is, W7 comes bundled with WMP ... wonder if the EUC have spotted that, or are they just upset with XP "N"?

Time will tell, we all got a few months. ;)

At least £44.97 is a fare price, for the full version ... a free upgrade would have been better, after all, it is still only Windows 6.1 :D

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I can't quibble with £45 for a new OS - it's only slightly more than a PC game nowadays. In the end I opted for the Pro version, as it comes with a few things (like better XP emulation) which I'll end up using.

It will be interesting to see how they end up dealing with the IE issue :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've actually bought the Home edition without realising what I'll be getting :blush:

As long as it has the WMP though I'll be content.

I best go check....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, good, Home edition seems to have everything I need, as outlined Here

I take it there are only three editions (Plus the Starter edition) and not three zillion flavours as with Vista?

I'm also assuming on installation we'll be given the choice between 32 and 64 Bit.

Must.... do.... more.... research :D

I don't think I'll need XP simulation, I've got a machine with XP on it for older games.

And all other apps I use run within Win 7.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm also assuming on installation we'll be given the choice between 32 and 64 Bit.
Yep ... two for one & only for £50 :lol:

... both 32-bit and 64-bit editions provided in retail/upgrade versions
;)

What you may not know, I only just found out, is that there is only one 64bit Browser ... have a guess what it's called. :nod:

so, we ain't even gonna get that ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I'm splitting hairs here ... there is, however, another 64bit browser currently available, but, still under development, it's Firefox. ;)

fortunately, 32 bit browsers all work fine

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I take it there are only three editions (Plus the Starter edition) and not three zillion flavours as with Vista?
There's an Ultimate edition too which adds BitLocker and switching between 35 languages - but MS aren't early discounting that one.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
There's an Ultimate edition too which adds BitLocker and switching between 35 languages - but MS aren't early discounting that one.

So what's that one then? Ultimate Ultimate? :D

They've listed Home Premium; Professional and Ultimate plus there's one named Starter which I haven't looked at the details of.

So, at the forecourt we have unleaded and super unleaded, much the same as it seems we have a Super Ultimate from Microsoft.

Phooey :p

;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ultimate is the one Ady mentioned - but it's not discounted so not many people have gone for it. Most people won't need that at all as Pro comes with most of the high-end features that may be needed (and Home Premium is fine for 95% of people). :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Also to add ...

As we, here in the EU, are getting a Special "E"dition, we are not being offered the Upgrade version, but getting the full, must-be-clean-installed DVD.

Things are a little different in Europe given that Microsoft is selling the operating system without a browser there. As a result, for now Microsoft is not offering an "upgrade" version of Windows 7 "E" but is instead selling the full boxed version (which does not require a prior Windows installation) at the upgrade price.

All users will also have to do a clean installation, even if they are upgrading from Windows Vista, as well as getting a copy of their browser of choice.

Microsoft will offer copies of Internet Explorer, combined with Windows Live programs, on a separate disc for those who want it.
I'm still looking for info on how to obtain that "extras" disk. ;)

They, MS, are only discounting Home & Pro :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Payware/Ripoffware/Open Source..... et al. Tis a complicated argument is it not?

My view is that Microsoft are entitled to charge for their software.

Arguments against is I think they charge too much for their software and that as Vista was plainly not the Golden Goose they promised then Win 7 sould have been either free as a correctional patch/upgrade or just cost a nominal tenner to Vista licence holders.

That would have been fair and maybe have gone some way to give confidence in Microsoft to Windows users.

The equation is thus:

Option one:

Pay lots of money, bow to DRM, be dictated to, play games, be a front line target for malware & viruses and use an operating system that is very user friendly - choose Microsoft Windows.

Option Two:

Pay no money, have freedom of choice, become part of the Open Source movement, be able to play only a very few games, use an Operating System that in part is not user friendly and difficult to understand, be at minimal risk from malware and viruses, be prepared for a steep learning curve - choose a Linux Distro.

Option Three:

Buy a Mac, become a weirdo, get the best of both worlds but pay an arm and a leg for all your software and hardware.

Bonus: Bask in how cool your Mac looks whilst carefully avoiding thinking about how low spec the hardware is for the price.

And there, Gentlemen, we have it.

At one time, before Bill Gates dreamed up the word 'Windows' we used Microsoft DOS.

Guess what? It was just as hard to understand as Linux Console commands ;)

Me? I'm kinda looking forward to Windows Seven, despite all my criticism.

If only for the fact I just tried installing Vista SP2 again and it still won't have it :(

But really - Vista with speed. Desirable, almost.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Darn it I paid £49.99n at Play last week and today it is £44.99 at PC World.

Will I be able to move it from pc to pc as it is the retail version ??

:confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Will I be able to move it from pc to pc as it is the retail version ??

Yep, you should be able to :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yep, you should be able to :)

:thumb:

Keeping me fingers crossed that it will work ok. :D Thats a lot of loot I've spent
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that Windows E will no longer exist, it looks like we're getting full versions of Windows 7 :) Bargain :D

Ask a Question