Windows 7 Microsoft drops Windows 7 discount

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft has unexpectedly withdrawn its promotional pricing for Windows 7 - the software giant's latest desktop and laptop PC operating system - after demand so strong that its online store apparently crashed.

The online UK Microsoft Store now states "Promotional pricing no longer available".

Conspiracy theorists are sure now to question the supposed crash, hinting that Microsoft merely wanted to stop orders at the low rate.

Prices have now increased to £79.99 for Windows 7 Home Premium, £189.99 for Windows 7 Professional, and £199.99 for Windows 7 Ultimate.

At the initial discounted rate the Amazon UK store claimed that it had sold more copies of Windows 7 in the sale's first eight hours than it did in the 17-week run of a similar pre-order offer in 2006 for Windows Vista.

UK vendors taking part in the promotion were Amazon.co.uk, Argos, Comet, Currys, Dixons, Ebuyer.com, John Lewis Partnership, Littlewoods, Micro Anvika, PC World, Play.com, Staples and Tesco.

Amazon has fallen in line with Microsoft's new pricing, but Dixons remains at the lower rate. Its website states that the offer "will end August 9, 2009, or while supplies last".

European customers will receive Windows 7 in special editions, dubbed 'E' for 'Europe', that have been stripped of Internet Explorer 8 (IE8). A month ago, Microsoft decided to remove IE8 from Windows 7 in an effort to head off EU antitrust regulators, who may still force the company to take more drastic measures.

Source: PC Advisor UK

UPDATE

Dixons no longer has W7 Home at the discounted price, but still has some W7 Pro available.

The lesser known company Anvika are still advertising the low price of £49.99inc VAT. Get yours while you can. ;)

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I really don't see MS getting away with "no access" to the Internet ... I'm still positive they will "bundle" something with our version of W7

There is, however, quite a simple way to get onto the net without IE ... one needs to use WMP ... that is if MS are still pulling the wool over the EUC and or the EUC are turning a blind eye at the fact we here in Europe, despite the heavy fine MS got for bundling WMP with XP ... W7 E has the WMP "feature" still available.
You never know, we may be getting W7 E N. :lol:

Simple solution, download now, whatever browser you need/want, and install it on W7 when you get it. ;)

Oh, and I see that Tesco.Direct, PCWorld and Stapels still have "the offer" on sale. :D

PCAdvisor may be eating humble pie ... I found this.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That last link of your Mucks - that's the e-mail MS sent me.

I wondered if it was still valid.

I think everybody who ran the Beta 7 - and thus had to register - got that e-mail.

muckshifter

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
There is, however, quite a simple way to get onto the net without IE ... one needs to use WMP ... that is if MS are still pulling the wool over the EUC and or the EUC are turning a blind eye at the fact we here in Europe, despite the heavy fine MS got for bundling WMP with XP ... W7 E has the WMP "feature" still available.
You never know, we may be getting W7 E N.
OOPS!! :blush:

I may have spoken too soon ...

There is one other bit of news here too:

N version will be available in some retailers and this is a version of Windows 7 which includes the same functionality as Windows 7 E, except that it does not include Windows Media Player and related technologies. Like Windows 7 E it does not include a browser (e.g Internet Explorer 8).

So the N editions don't include IE 8 either.
:rolleyes:

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...-windows-7-e-customers-can-get-a-browser.aspx

If anybody receives Windows 7 "E/N" then I advise them to return it marked "unfit for the purpose" and ask for a refund. EUC can go kiss my asp. :nod:

ah ha ...

http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/Microsoft/Windows/Windows-7

... maybe MS haven't cottoned on that they only need produce an E/N version for the EUC.

:lol:

:wave:

I wonder what Linux is like these days ... err, second thoughts, no thanks

Reaction score
Silly question here.But could MS not get around the whole IE thing by way of it installing from "updates" as you are installing W7...?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Of course they could, but MS are just being bombastic towards the EUC & Opera ... they is making sure we know the "fault" lays with the EUC, not with MS. ;)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ya know, for once in my life I think MS should have the right to be able to include whatever the hell they like with their own OS.

What they should do however is just make it uninstallable, that should really keep everybody happy.

But no, they're acting like big kids, stomping their feet and trying to win a war that should never have been started really.

Would everybody just please grow up? :mad:

So what's the situation with browsers within a Mac OS?

Not sure what their latest OS is, ocelot, jaguar, panther, lynx or something :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
So what's the situation with browsers within a Mac OS?

Not sure what their latest OS is, ocelot, jaguar, panther, lynx or something :)

Safari comes shipped with Mac OS...The latest OS to come for Mac arriving in September is Snow Leopard. I have had a look and it is the dogs danglies. Well if you are a Mac user, and for the sum of around £17.53. Now how is that for cheap..?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Safari comes shipped with Mac OS...The latest OS to come for Mac arriving in September is Snow Leopard. I have had a look and it is the dogs danglies. Well if you are a Mac user, and for the sum of around £17.53. Now how is that for cheap..?

All well and good but the thing I am trying to ascertain here is: Does Snow Leopard come with an Apple manufactured browser?

And if so, why haven't the Eurocrats taken them to task?

Look, I ain't no Steve Bulmer fanboy but laws should be universal should they not?

Edit: Just figured - Safari is a browser isn't it?

Excuse my ignorance :)

Right then EEC - time to clobber Apple isn't it?

OMG, this is all quite stoopid innit? :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
All well and good but the thing I am trying to ascertain here is: Does Snow Leopard come with an Apple manufactured browser?

And if so, why haven't the Eurocrats taken them to task?

Look, I ain't no Steve Bulmer fanboy but laws should be universal should they not?

Edit: Just figured - Safari is a browser isn't it?

Excuse my ignorance :)

Right then EEC - time to clobber Apple isn't it?

OMG, this is all quite stoopid innit? :D

I think if the EEC should empose the same laws for Apple as they do for MS. i'm not quite sure on this so please don't quote me, i'll have a little read about later. I know Macs come with Safari as standard, but they also offer Opera as an alternative. Where as MS just offer Internet Explorer and no alternative. Why should MS offer an alternative ? Its like going to a Porsche garage and the dealer saying if you don't really like the Carrera GT we can offer you a Mondeo. If ya see where i'm coming from.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do see where you're coming from.

As I've said, this is all silly.

We have a lot of Eurocrats probably failed commies who think Microsoft is the antichrist (and justifiably not without good reason) who think that by giving Microsoft a hard time they're doing the world a favour.

Just like the Green Party think they're doing us all a favour by stopping us riding motor cars and motor cycles. Eco-Nazis

I digress :)

Yes, Microsoft have practised underhanded business methods, yes, Microsoft have been bullies, yes, Microsoft have been fined for unethical behaviour but the fact still remains lots of people are comfortable using Microsoft Windows, quite like Internet Explorer and couldn't give a rat's bum about the ethical arguments that the EEC are waging, they just want to load Windows 7 and get online.

And the Eurocrats are denying them this.

So as much as I deplore some aspects of MS's practices, they are here, lots of people almost need them and I actually like a lot of things about Windows, truth be told.

So, all I'm saying is - is not what's good for the goose good for the gander?

Should not they curb Apple's Snow Leopard?

Nope, they won't, they just have it in for Microsoft.

Like I keep saying, I've little sympathy for Microshaft but if rules are to be made, they should be applied equally, this ruling is victimisation, nothing more, nothing less.

Ask a Question