Windows Vista Free upgrades from Vista to Windows 7

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
From next month Microsoft will offer a free copy of Windows 7 to buyers of new PCs running Vista, and in some cases XP.

Buyers of new PCs have started to find an unexpected bonus amidst the manuals, leaflets and warranty cards, as OEMs begin promoting Microsoft’s ‘Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program’.

The scheme looks set to offer a free upgrade to Windows 7 from June 26 2009 through until sometime in January 2010.

Purchasers of Acer PCs in Australia have already found a slip in their freshly unboxed system which states “Beginning June 26, 2009, customers who purchase a qualifying ACER Vista-based PC will receive a comparable version of Windows 7 when available”.

The offering of a ‘comparable’ version of Windows 7 with match neatly to Windows Vista Home Premium, Business and Ultimate seeing as Windows 7 contains those same editions (although the ‘business’ build will be tagged as Windows 7 Professional).

Budget-priced systems running Vista Home Basic will not qualify. Microsoft’s deal will however extend to PCs which have ‘downgraded’ at the factory to XP, because they were still sold carrying a Vista licence.
http://apcmag.com/free-upgrades-from-vista-to-windows-7-begin-june-26th.htm

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've still got the 'ump with 'em :mad:

Too little too late - two years and more ago MS were telling me Vista was the best thing since sliced cheese. Pah.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, don't be too downhearted Flops, it is only, Vista Second Edition. :thumb:

If you also liked Word's 'ribbon bar' then you'll love Vista Second Edition ... don't forget to get your "multi-touch screen" monitor replacement soon, err, if you can find one for a 'nice' price. The key word here is, multi-touch, that's more than one finger. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah, don't be too downhearted Flops, it is only, Vista Second Edition. :thumb:

If you also liked Word's 'ribbon bar' then you'll love Vista Second Edition ... don't forget to get your "multi-touch screen" monitor replacement soon, err, if you can find one for a 'nice' price. The key word here is, multi-touch, that's more than one finger. ;)

Whaaaaaaaaaaa??? :confused:

Vista Second Edition it may be, which is precisely my point - why should we have to pay for Microsoft's blunders?

There is such a place as the Department Of Fair Trading, hmmm...

Let me outline my stance on this particular issue:

1) I like Vista.
2) Vista is not perfect, it's exceedingly slow in some areas.
3) Vista thinks it's a nanny state.
4) Vista was not the brilliant new conception it's makers would have us believe.
5) Windows Seven Should be free to every Vista Licence Holder, like edition for like edition.
6) Windows Seven is effectively a Vista patch and as such should be given away.
7) Microsoft are a bunch of conniving swindlers.

Items 1 - 6 are fact, item 7 is my POV ;)

Ever feel like you been cheated? :(

As for touch screen, it was all I could do when my three were of small size to stop them putting their grubby little mitts all over the monitor, fair made me angry it did :mad:

Why do I want a touch screen? I have a mouse and a keyboard and my experience of touch screen is mostly of those automated checkouts in the supermarkets which NEVER EVER work right :lol:

Have a nice day y'all, best wishes from Steve and the boys at Redmund, celebrating the fifth anniversary of our 27th case of unfair trading accusations :)

Reaction score
I'm still only using Vista within VMWare!
May now try Windows 7 within in too.

Do have the Vista Business upgrade CD that cam with my Laptop 2 years ago.
But due to so many issues with what's compatible i have never changed over.

Ask a Question