PPT 03 launching PPT 07 for charts (?)

John @ Nice Multimedia

I'm trying to use PPT 03 (I have PPT 07 also installed) - the problem is, and
it just started today, when I click on a chart to update it in PPT 03 PPT 07
charting launches instead of 03 and colors and fonts switch - I, to the best
of my knowledge, made no changes to the programs - I don't know if you can -
but why would 07 charting launch while I'm working in 03?

Thanks

Echo S

Probably you opted to "convert all" when prompted the first time you
double-clicked to activate a chart in this file.

See, PPT 2003 used MSGraph for charts. PPT 2007 uses Excel. If you let PPT
convert, the charts will open in Excel 2007.

The colors and fonts then switch because PPT and Excel 2007 use themes.
These control the font schemes and color schemes for the files. (PPT 2003
doesn't know about these, of course.) So they update the file (the Excel
chart) to apply the default font scheme and color scheme, and these don't
match the old 2003 color schemes.

Can you go back to a previous version of the file and not opt to convert the
charts when you activate them? There's also a way you can tell PPT not to
ever convert the charts. See http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00872.htm -- but it
also enforces the use of MSGraph when you insert a new chart, so that may or
may not be what you want. Plus, it won't help you if you've already
converted the charts to 2007-format (Excel) charts (and saved the file).

Echo S

Oh, sorry, I re-read and see you're working in 2003, not 2007. 2007 is the
one that prompts you.

I don't know why 2003 would start opening the charts as 2007-format, though.
Unless...hm...did you recently save the files as PPTX instead of PPT format?