Power Desk 5 (free version) undate RAR function

Al Smith

I just got finished updating my RAR peeking and decompressing
abilities in Power Desk 5, and thought I'd share the information I
discovered by trial and error with this group.

Power Desk 5 handles older RAR archives, displaying them as file
folders, and decompressing them (you can drag an individual file
in an RAR archive out to another directory, for example, and it
will decompress) -- however, when the RAR format was changed a
year or so ago, Power Desk 5 stopped being able to see into the
newer RAR archives.

The fix is this:

Download UnRAR.dll (which actually comes packaged in an EXE file
named unrardll.exe) and install the program. Forget all about it,
you don't need it and will delete it later. Take only the file
"unrar.dll" that is in the program folder of the created program.
Rename this to "pdunrar.dll" and drop it into the "Program
Files\Ontrack\Power Desk" folder. It will replace the existing,
but much smaller and older, file also named "pdunrar.dll" -- or,
if you wish to be able to go back to what you had, first rename
the original Power Desk file to something such as
"pdunrar.dll.old" and then drop the newer "pdunrar.dll" into the
Power Desk folder.

That's all there is to it. Delete the program that installed
itself when you ran "unrardll.exe". Power Desk will now be able to
peek into the more recent RAR archives.

Anne

In said:
I just got finished updating my RAR peeking and decompressing
abilities in Power Desk 5, and thought I'd share the information I
discovered by trial and error with this group.

<snip>

Thanks for this tip! Much appreciated.
I also tried PowerDesk 6 and dumped it almost immediately. So slow and
bloated. ::shudder:: Also the Viewer pane was grayed out in the free
version, which was scandalous. :) PD5 is great.

thoss

<snip>

Thanks for this tip! Much appreciated.
I also tried PowerDesk 6 and dumped it almost immediately. So slow and
bloated. ::shudder:: Also the Viewer pane was grayed out in the free
version, which was scandalous. :) PD5 is great.
I echo that. One feature of PD5 that I use is the Toolbar. IIRC that
was dropped from PD6.

Al Smith

I just got finished updating my RAR peeking and decompressing
<snip>

Thanks for this tip! Much appreciated.
I also tried PowerDesk 6 and dumped it almost immediately. So slow and
bloated. ::shudder:: Also the Viewer pane was grayed out in the free
version, which was scandalous. :) PD5 is great.

-- Anne

Glad I could help.

Larry Sabo

Also the Viewer pane was grayed out in the free
version, which was scandalous. :) PD5 is great.

The Viewer doesn't work in PD5 for me. What am I missing?

Larry

Al Smith

The Viewer doesn't work in PD5 for me. What am I missing?

Larry

Hmmm, I see that the free version of PowerDesk 5 uses Quick View
for its viewer pane, and Quick View was a free file viewer
included in Windows 95 and Windows 98. Unfortunately, it is not
included in Windows XP. There is something called Quick View Plus,
that would probably work, but it costs $35. You might as well buy
PowerDesk Pro.

There is probably a workaround for this but I don't know what it
is. Too bad the viewing engine of IRFanView couldn't be called up
in place of Quick View. That would probably work very well.

Susan Bugher

Hmmm, I see that the free version of PowerDesk 5 uses Quick View for its
viewer pane, and Quick View was a free file viewer included in Windows
95 and Windows 98. Unfortunately, it is not included in Windows XP.

Still available from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135315
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/cdext6/1/W95/EN-US/quikvu.exe
587 KB

SOS has listed an enhancement for that app along with another DL link
for Quick View:

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Graphics.html

ImageView Adds Quick View support for seven types of graphics file
formats: GIF (.GIF files) JPEG (.JPG files) Kodak PhotoCD (.PCD files)
PCX (.PCX files) PNG (.PNG files) TARGA (.TGA files) TIFF (.TIF files)
ftp://ftp.fact400.ru/pub/tourcd/Files/Freeware/imgvie.zip
449Kb

Lost the original QuickVu? Get it HERE
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/quikvu.exe

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Smith

The Viewer doesn't work in PD5 for me. What am I missing?
Still available from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135315
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/cdext6/1/W95/EN-US/quikvu.exe
587 KB

SOS has listed an enhancement for that app along with another DL link for Quick View:

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Graphics.html

ImageView Adds Quick View support for seven types of graphics file formats: GIF (.GIF files) JPEG (.JPG files) Kodak PhotoCD (.PCD files) PCX (.PCX files) PNG (.PNG files) TARGA (.TGA files) TIFF (.TIF files)
ftp://ftp.fact400.ru/pub/tourcd/Files/Freeware/imgvie.zip
449Kb

Lost the original QuickVu? Get it HERE
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/quikvu.exe

Susan

A useful post. I extracted the version of Quick View that comes on
the Windows 98 CD and tried putting it in both the Windows XP
System directory, and in the Power Desk directory. Nothing. The
reason is that it won't run at all XP. It gives an error message
when double-clicked.

I also tried the version from Windows 95, but when I
double-clicked it, it opened a DOS window and warned me not to run
it in the Windows or System directories, so I shut it down -- no
use taking a chance that it would screw something up. I doubt very
much that it would have been used by Power Desk, or that it would
run at all, since the W98 version won't run.

I will take a look at ImageView, which I have downloaded. I
imagine it would need to be renamed as "quickvu.exe" (as near as I
can judge, this is the Windows95 version) or more likely as
"quikview.exe" (this seems to be the Windows98 version). I imagine
PowerDesk 5 was set up to use the Windows98 version of Quick View.

There are two problems. One, getting Quick View or an enhanced
replacement to run at all on Windows XP. Two, getting Power Desk 5
to recognize it and treat it as Quick View in its viewer pane.

What we need is a computer guru to descend from heaven and
enlighten us all on how to accomplish these tasks. Or on some
other way to get graphic views displayed in the free Power Desk 5
viewer pane.

Susan Bugher

Al said:
What we need is a computer guru to descend from heaven and enlighten us
all on how to accomplish these tasks. Or on some other way to get
graphic views displayed in the free Power Desk 5 viewer pane.

I'll keep my fingers crossed to help implement your "plan". ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Anne

Al said:
Hmmm, I see that the free version of PowerDesk 5 uses Quick View
for its viewer pane, and Quick View was a free file viewer
included in Windows 95 and Windows 98. Unfortunately, it is not
included in Windows XP.

I have once downloaded Quick View for Windows 95 from somewhere. I
wonder if it would work in Windows XP? Perhaps not.