I give up---I need help with RAR files


A

Anonymous

I have Izarc, and it says that it can handle RAR files. I downloaded a
multipart app-tutorial from another newgroup that is compressed in
various RAR files. IZarc will extract the first one but none of the
others (I get a dialog box saying "Cannot read from source drive or
disk."). The extraction is useless anyway because I still have to find
a way to fit all the pieces back together into one single file. My
newsreader has a "Combine and Decode" command bu it doesn't work with
RAR attachments.

A friend said that this is because the RAR files are segments of a
multipart download, and that I need WinRAR to put them all back
together.

Questions to those of you who own and use WinRAR:

* Is it true that I MUST have the full retail version WinRAR to put the
segments back together into one continuous whole? (or: Is there another
freeware solution or "no install" app that will do it?)
* Is there a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this?
* If there is a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this, do you
know of any walk-through or tutorial document that will show me how to
do it using that freeware version?

The bottom-line goal here is to download mutlipart RAR's from a
newsgroup and use a freeware product to recreate the original single
file.

Thanks for your help!
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Corliss

Anonymous said:
I have Izarc, and it says that it can handle RAR files. I downloaded a
multipart app-tutorial from another newgroup that is compressed in
various RAR files. IZarc will extract the first one but none of the
others (I get a dialog box saying "Cannot read from source drive or
disk."). The extraction is useless anyway because I still have to find a
way to fit all the pieces back together into one single file. My
newsreader has a "Combine and Decode" command bu it doesn't work with
RAR attachments.

A friend said that this is because the RAR files are segments of a
multipart download, and that I need WinRAR to put them all back together.

Questions to those of you who own and use WinRAR:

* Is it true that I MUST have the full retail version WinRAR to put the
segments back together into one continuous whole? (or: Is there another
freeware solution or "no install" app that will do it?)
* Is there a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this?
* If there is a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this, do you
know of any walk-through or tutorial document that will show me how to
do it using that freeware version?

The bottom-line goal here is to download mutlipart RAR's from a
newsgroup and use a freeware product to recreate the original single file.

Thanks for your help!

I use Iceows:

http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

It's never messed up a .rar file on my system and should do what you want.
 
J

jmatt

Normally, if they are split files you need the joiner & most splitting
programs that included in the file, usually the 1st file of the group.
Just a matter of doubling clicking on it.

I may be wrong as I don't use a newsreader.

Tell me the name ( exact full name ) of the file you want, may be
another way to skin this cat.
 
F

Fran

Are you sure that it isn't a single rar archive split with hjsplit? If not,
freewae archivers have given me as well some trouble with multipart
archives, however, there was a post in this group about legally obtaining a
licence for Winrar 3.41 from a magazine website, just search posts for
winrar.
 
R

rich

Anonymous said:
I have Izarc, and it says that it can handle RAR files. I downloaded a
multipart app-tutorial from another newgroup that is compressed in
various RAR files. IZarc will extract the first one but none of the
others (I get a dialog box saying "Cannot read from source drive or
disk."). The extraction is useless anyway because I still have to find
a way to fit all the pieces back together into one single file. My
newsreader has a "Combine and Decode" command bu it doesn't work with
RAR attachments.
You are using MesNews - have to confess that I have never heard of it until
now - however their site says that it will combine multipart messages so you
should end up with a bunch of rar files, after all they are just binary
files same as zips exe's etc.
A friend said that this is because the RAR files are segments of a
multipart download, and that I need WinRAR to put them all back
together.
Your friend is correct and there are two 'flavors' of rar file - an old
version that looks like "archive.rar" , "archive.r00" , "archive.r01" etc.
and the newer version "archive.part001.rar" , "archive.part002.rar" , etc.

Although I don't normally use Izarc - prefer 7-zip - I have just tried
Izarc on both types of rar archive and it works fine - so you should rule
out Izarc as the problem and look at the rar archive.
Check that all the parts are there, if there are several it is easy to miss
one.
Then check the size of each part - they should all be the same size *except*
the last one, which make up the balance of the archive.
Any missing bits or corrupt files and the archive will not extract.
If there are par files available it may be possible to repair any errors.
Questions to those of you who own and use WinRAR:

* Is it true that I MUST have the full retail version WinRAR to put the
segments back together into one continuous whole? (or: Is there another
freeware solution or "no install" app that will do it?)

No you do not need WinRAR. The only advantage of WinRAR is it has a repair
option but this is dependant on the archive creator adding a recovery
record. Very few do and the chances of repair this way are slim. Go for par
files if available.

* Is there a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this?
* If there is a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this, do you
know of any walk-through or tutorial document that will show me how to
do it using that freeware version?
AFAIK WinRar is Shareware.
The bottom-line goal here is to download mutlipart RAR's from a
newsgroup and use a freeware product to recreate the original single
file.

Many of these rar sets contain zip files so I use an old ?russian? app
called unarc, it somewhat relaxed and generally unpacks rar files (and zip
files) even when they have CRC errors, providing everything is there. Unarc
is a bit hard to find these days - it was only ever a beta - so I will up it
to alt.binaries.freeware for you.
 
B

bud

* Is it true that I MUST have the full retail version WinRAR to put the
segments back together into one continuous whole? (or: Is there another
freeware solution or "no install" app that will do it?)
* Is there a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this?
* If there is a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this, do you know
of any walk-through or tutorial document that will show me how to do it
using that freeware version?

Rarlabs has a free unrar for windows you can download and use to extract rar
files. It's at,
http://www.rarlabs.com/rar_add.htm
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

ms

rich said:
Many of these rar sets contain zip files so I use an old ?russian? app
called unarc, it somewhat relaxed and generally unpacks rar files (and zip
files) even when they have CRC errors, providing everything is there. Unarc
is a bit hard to find these days - it was only ever a beta - so I will up it
to alt.binaries.freeware for you.
Using Google, can't find the unarc executable that runs in windows.

Can you post it to a website for those that can't see binaries?

TIA

Mike Sa
 
J

John Corliss

John said:
I use Iceows:

http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

It's never messed up a .rar file on my system and should do what you want.

By the way, when you download all parts of a .rar file, be sure that you
have the complete set including any .pars. Then (if you have Iceows
installed) you simply double click on the first one. Iceows will
assemble the parts into one and ask where you want to expand it.
 
R

rich

Rich_on 30-Jan-2006 said:
Using Google, can't find the unarc executable that runs in windows.

Can you post it to a website for those that can't see binaries?

TIA

Mike Sa

As you have found there are many apps with the name UnArc.
The web site I got it from is long gone so I have put it on Rapidshare.

Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/12166029/unarc.zip.html

about 500 kb zipped file.
What it does is recursivley extract .rar files and .zip files thus
eliminating the problem of newsgroup binaries which have been zipped then
rared. It will still work on single archives but of limited value to peeps
who can not see binaries.
 
M

ms

rich said:
As you have found there are many apps with the name UnArc.
The web site I got it from is long gone so I have put it on Rapidshare.

Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/12166029/unarc.zip.html

about 500 kb zipped file.
What it does is recursivley extract .rar files and .zip files thus
eliminating the problem of newsgroup binaries which have been zipped then
rared. It will still work on single archives but of limited value to peeps
who can not see binaries.
Thanks, Rich

Mike Sa
 
B

Bob Adkins

The bottom-line goal here is to download mutlipart RAR's from a
newsgroup and use a freeware product to recreate the original single
file.

IZArc always worked perfectly for me.

If it refused to extract a multi-part RAR, it was always caused by a damaged
RAR file. You can check this by running the SFV or QuickPAR on the PAR
and/or SFV files that are usually included with multi-part RAR's.

I am currently testing 7-Zip. It doesn't have the nice features of IZArc,
but it works great with RAR's. You may wish to give it a try.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

dansheen

Anonymous said:
I have Izarc, and it says that it can handle RAR files. I downloaded a
multipart app-tutorial from another newgroup that is compressed in
various RAR files. IZarc will extract the first one but none of the
others (I get a dialog box saying "Cannot read from source drive or
disk."). The extraction is useless anyway because I still have to find a
way to fit all the pieces back together into one single file. My
newsreader has a "Combine and Decode" command bu it doesn't work with
RAR attachments.

A friend said that this is because the RAR files are segments of a
multipart download, and that I need WinRAR to put them all back together.

Questions to those of you who own and use WinRAR:

* Is it true that I MUST have the full retail version WinRAR to put the
segments back together into one continuous whole? (or: Is there another
freeware solution or "no install" app that will do it?)
* Is there a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this?
* If there is a freeware version of WinRAR that will do this, do you
know of any walk-through or tutorial document that will show me how to
do it using that freeware version?

The bottom-line goal here is to download mutlipart RAR's from a
newsgroup and use a freeware product to recreate the original single file.

Thanks for your help!
I downloaded the trial winrar because of the same problem. (Not the
retail version.) If you have downloaded something that consists of
multiple equal sized rar files you only need to open the first file with
rar software. Doing that assembles the segments into a whole. I was
trying to open each file separately and didn't understand why it didn't
work.
I haven't tried using izarc yet but that's my normal software and I
don't see why it shouldn't work.
 
D

dansheen

dansheen said:
Anonymous wrote:

I downloaded the trial winrar because of the same problem. (Not the
retail version.) If you have downloaded something that consists of
multiple equal sized rar files you only need to open the first file with
rar software. Doing that assembles the segments into a whole. I was
trying to open each file separately and didn't understand why it didn't
work.
I haven't tried using izarc yet but that's my normal software and I
don't see why it shouldn't work.


Just wanted to add that I just tried izarc with a multipart rar file and
by opening the first file it assembled the entire series into 1
complete file.
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who responded! I used a couple of suggestions and
they worked! You guys are great!
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top