Pop-Ups

Wonder if someone could offer a solution for the following. I have WinXPsp2
and IE6 and have the 'pop-up' blocker enabled in the IE6. However, yesterday
we went to a site about movie stars (my wife likes to look at the photos of
the movie stars and reading their stories.) and while we on that site, she
received several pop-ups (6 in a row) for 'Party Poker.' There were also
several from 'Ad.Adtegrity.' We added the two to our Restricted Sites and
notice that we still receive the pop-ups for the 'Ad.Adtegrity.' Is there any
way to stop this (these) pop-up(s), other than not going back to that site
again? Someone told us that there are "free" pop-up blocker programs, but
they are just the same as the IE6 pop-up blocker. Thank you for any
definitive help.

Tim

This is heresy, but try the firefox browser.

Hello, AliceZ!
You wrote on Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:51:02 -0700:

A> Wonder if someone could offer a solution for the following. I have
A> WinXPsp2 and IE6 and have the 'pop-up' blocker enabled in the IE6.
A> However, yesterday we went to a site about movie stars (my wife likes to
A> look at the photos of the movie stars and reading their stories.) and
A> while we on that site, she received several pop-ups (6 in a row) for
A> 'Party Poker.' There were also several from 'Ad.Adtegrity.' We added the
A> two to our Restricted Sites and notice that we still receive the pop-ups
A> for the 'Ad.Adtegrity.' Is there any way to stop this (these) pop-up(s),
A> other than not going back to that site again? Someone told us that there
A> are "free" pop-up blocker programs, but they are just the same as the
A> IE6 pop-up blocker. Thank you for any definitive help.

With best regards, Tim. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Nope. Doesn't work. Those pop-ups still come up with Firefox, plus, we see
notice that additional plug-ins are needed to view the site properly and did
we want to download the plug-ins. We didn't do any downloading and just
closed FF. This is very confusing to us and this is the only site where we
receive these pop-ups. (As we said, the PartyPoker pop-ups seem to have
stopped since added it to Restricted Site. However, the ad.adtegrity (phone
service) pop-ups up several times while we are on that site, plus one from
"dynacpc.com." The site we are visiting is a site for actors information, etc.
Can anyone else offer a solution?
(We only go to that site when really necessary, but it is annoying that
these pop-ups should be slipping past the IE6 pop-up blocker.)
====

NoStop

Wonder if someone could offer a solution for the following. I have
WinXPsp2 and IE6 and have the 'pop-up' blocker enabled in the IE6.
However, yesterday we went to a site about movie stars (my wife likes to
look at the photos of the movie stars and reading their stories.) and
while we on that site, she received several pop-ups (6 in a row) for
'Party Poker.' There were also several from 'Ad.Adtegrity.' We added the
two to our Restricted Sites and notice that we still receive the pop-ups
for the 'Ad.Adtegrity.' Is there any way to stop this (these) pop-up(s),
other than not going back to that site again? Someone told us that there
are "free" pop-up blocker programs, but they are just the same as the IE6
pop-up blocker. Thank you for any definitive help.

Stay away from sites like that. They rot the brain.

--
A Windows user finally clues in and sets up a dual boot system and loves
it!:

http://www.winxperts.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1377

The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

The New and Improved Ballmer:

Is this a modern day equivalent of a Nazi youth rally?:

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg

A 3D Linux Desktop (video) ...

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://shots.osdir.com/

Malke

AliceZ said:
PLEASE, just definitive responses.

====================

Just ignore Usenet trolls. Your computer is infested with some malware
and now you need to clean it up.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Do all prep/finishing work and follow instructions to do all scans in
Safe Mode.

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local version of BigStoreUSA).

Malke

The pop-up for 'ad-adtegrity' only happens when we visit one particular site.
We never see it at all when we are online.
We ran "Ad-Aware" and no problems noted.

===============

Hello,
Try "Pop-Up Stopper", the free edition.
A good "host" file setup will also be of some help.
take care.
beamish.

AliceZ said:
The pop-up for 'ad-adtegrity' only happens when we visit one particular site.
We never see it at all when we are online.
We ran "Ad-Aware" and no problems noted.

===============
He

Thank you. Then we do not have malware if we only receive the pop-ups when we
visit one site?
Isn't the IE6 supposed to stop the pop-ups? Or have some 'companies' found a
way to get past the IE6 pop-up blocker?
What do you mean by "A good "host" file setup will also be of some help?"
(We are senior citizens and not at all familiar with all of this and we are
getting quite confused.)
Thank you.

=======

Hello,
For now forget the "hosts file".
Go to http://www.panicware.com
and find the free edition of "Pop-Up Stopper", download and install on your
unit. It will place a icon in the sytem tray "bottom right" you can turn it
on and off. Sometimes it will stop items that you may want to view. That is
why you may want to turn it off. Take a little time to learn how to use this
item. Hope this works for you.
wish you well.
take care.
beamish.