Pocket PC vs. Win CE.NET

Dan Orchard

I feel quite embarassed having to ask this, but can
someone guide me to a site that will explain the
differences between the PocketPC versions and Windows CE
versions? When I started development of my current
project, I was unaware of any differentiation, and I am
beginning to realize that there may be some
considerations I need to be making.

Thanks for your help.

--Dan

Bardak

1. In high level: Pocket PC is a specific device O/S while WIndows CE.NET
is a general O/S for devices.

2. .NET Compact Framework Support
Windows CE 4.1 and beyond has support for the .NET Compact Framework.
Pocket PC 2000, 2002, 2003 and on has support for the .NET Comapct
Framework.

3. Differences
A Windows CE.NET device and Pocket PC typically have different shells.
Since the .NET Compact Framework relies on the Windows layer to do the
drawing applications will have a different look on a Pocket PC and a
Windows CE.NET device (a look that looks native to the device). While all
supported Pocker PC devices are ARM based Windows CE.NET also supports
other CPU architectures.

4. What you should care about
There are several things you can consider when building an application (and
Yes, you can write an application that will adapt its apearence according
to the device it runs on):

4.1. Size
Different form factor imply you will need to size the applicaiton
appropriatly. Also the SIP (keyboard) pops up differently and needs to have
a different impact on the application resize).
4.2. Menu and toolbar
On a WIndows CE device these are two seperate entities while on a Pocket PC
they are merged. An applicaiton needs to be aware of this.
4.3. CPU
In general managed code applicaitons rely on the JIT compiler that
translate the MSIL code into native code. However if you are creating in
addition to the managed applicaiton also some native compoents, you will
have to make sure the fit the underlying CPU architecture.
4.4. Underlaying DLLs
Some functionality (for instance Pocket Outlook) is not available with
Windows CE.NET devices that are not Pocket PCs. If you rely on this
functionality you will be limited to a Pocket PC device.

Hope this helps.

Barak

From: "Dan Orchard" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Dan Orchard" <[email protected]>
Subject: Pocket PC vs. Win CE.NET
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:13:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

I feel quite embarassed having to ask this, but can
someone guide me to a site that will explain the
differences between the PocketPC versions and Windows CE
versions? When I started development of my current
project, I was unaware of any differentiation, and I am
beginning to realize that there may be some
considerations I need to be making.

Thanks for your help.

--Dan

Bar(d)ak Cohen
.NET For Devices
(e-mail address removed)

-Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only
-This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.