Can I develop for CE.NET 4.2 using VS 2005??? -totally confused

SammyBar

Hi,

This question never ccame to me before buying VS 2005 but now...
I'm trying to develop a small app for a Symbol device that runs Windows
CE.NET 4.20. So we bought the Visual Studio 2005. Our previous VS was the
first VS.NET version (2002?). I tested VS2005 developing for compact
framework 2 (CF2) and is excellent. But now results .NET 4.2 is not
supported by CF2. Then I created a project for Pocket PC 2003 using Device
Application 1.0 template. I tryed to create a typed dataset from the Data
Sources pane. Ran the Datasource Configuration Wizzard and got:
"An error occurred while creating the current data source: Could not get
type information for 'XDataSet'"
The dataset code is generated but when tryin to compile the code, I get all
kind of errors from the generated code. It looks like the wizzard generated
CF2 code but the compiler expects CF1 code. Googling around I found a lot of
scary messages about CE.NET 4.2 and VS 2005. Even some says NET 4.2 is not
supported in VS 2005 (!!!) Is it means I wasted my money? Should I buy VS
2003 for 4.2 development and VS 2005 for 5.0? That is why in
Tools/Options/Device Tools/Devices I can select CE 5.0 as target platform
but not CE 4.2???

I'm totally confused. Any hint is welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

No, the development environment doesn't allow CE 4.2 targets, except for the
special ones, PPC2003, for example. Yes, VS.NET 2003 is the right IDE for
CE 4.2 development. Although CF 2.0 will, at some point, be supported on CE
4.2, that doesn't mean that you'll be able to target 4.2 devices with VS.NET
2005, so debugging and so on is still going to fit best into VS.NET 2003.

Paul T.

SammyBar

....then I should write a resignation letter, and refund the $700 of the VS
2005...
Thanks anyway Paul

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Note the level of support for NETCF V1 projects in VS 2003 is the same as in
VS 2005.

No data designers, for example, no typed DataSets.

You might be better off using CE 5 project in VS 2005 for now switching to
CE 4.2 by the time NETCF V2 is available on it.

That depends on your project time frame, though.

--
Best regards,

Ilya

*** Want to find answers instantly? Here's how... ***

1. Go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework?hl=en
2. Type your question in the text box near "Search this group" button.
3. Hit "Search this group" button.
4. Read answer(s).

SammyBar

Note the level of support for NETCF V1 projects in VS 2003 is the same as
in VS 2005.
No data designers, for example, no typed DataSets.
You might be better off using CE 5 project in VS 2005 for now switching to
CE 4.2 by the time NETCF V2 is available on it.
I have no choices. My deadline is in two weeks. The project is very simple
but I don't have the device yet in my hands so I need to preview the
problems.
As I understand from your line: "level of support for NETCF V1 projects in
VS 2003 is the same as in VS 2005" I can develop for CF v1 using VS 2005.
But, can I deploy my project to a non PocketPC 2003 but CE.NET 4.2 device?.
The device will be a MC9000-G device from Symbol. Does not matter it is no
typed dataset support. I just need a compiler, an emulator and a graphic
debugger.

Thanks for your attention
Sammy

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

NETCF V2 for CE 4.2 won't be available that soon. By "level of support" I
mean designers, not supported platforms.

While not officially supported, VS 2005 might be able to deploy and debug V1
projects on to CE 4.2 devices.

By the way, MC9000-G can use either CE 4.2 or Windows Mobile 2003, later is
officially supported by VS 2003.

--
Best regards,

Ilya

*** Want to find answers instantly? Here's how... ***

1. Go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework?hl=en
2. Type your question in the text box near "Search this group" button.
3. Hit "Search this group" button.
4. Read answer(s).

SammyBar

By the way, MC9000-G can use either CE 4.2 or Windows Mobile 2003, later
is officially supported by VS 2003.
Yes, but when deciding which one to buy we decided in favor of CE 4.2 'cause
we don't need Word or Excel on the device to do the job, but only the custom
application I'm developing. If only I knew... Now it is late: the device is
already buyed although not in my hands yet.
Anyway you bring some peace to me. I don't care about "official support". I
really care if I can deploy the app to the expected device by using the VS
2005. I'm looking for the device to be in my hands to do a real test.

Thanks a lot (Spasivo vam bolshie)
Sammy

I've never gotten '05 to deploy to a 4.2 device - though I admit I gave up
after a day since it wasn't supported. Build, copy, run - reminds me of
debugging in eVB.

-Chris

Marc Ambrosius

SammyBar said:
...then I should write a resignation letter, and refund the $700 of the VS
2005...
You said the project is very simple, so if money is a problem, you can use
the free Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 to build it.

Marc

SammyBar

You said the project is very simple, so if money is a problem, you can use
the free Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 to build it.
The initial idea was to make the project in eVB. But it was by the fact that
the eVB is not supported in PocketPC 2003 that I could convince my boss to
buy VS 2005 to make the project. I confess my goal was to introduce VS 2005
in an team that is fossilized on Centura SQL/Windows (does anybody remembers
what it is?) but it looks I miss the target... But I should say in my
deffense that it is no clear in the microsoft web site "how to buy" pages
that the CE v4.xx is not supported by VS 2005. I fell into a classical
seller's trap.

Thanks for your words
Sammy

Tommy

VS 2005 comes with a CF cab in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\WindowsCE\wce400\armv4

Would it be safe to develop and debug on a CE 5.0 device and deploy to 4.2
via cab files?

I wrote a custom installer package anyhow that executes the cab files via a
script from a CF or SD card so we do not rely on visual studio to do the
deployment.

I wrote a small test program for this and it "SEEMS" to work ok thus far.

Tommy

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Safe, as long as you fully test everything on 4.2, sure, and make sure that,
for now, you're targeting .NET CF 1.0, not 2.0.

Paul T.

Tommy

Ok, this is gonna probably be a dumb question but i've been looking for
where to use vstudio 2005 and target cf 1.0. Is this possible?

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Yes it is possible. The exact steps are not available to me on this system
right now...

Paul T.

Tommy said:
VS 2005 comes with a CF cab in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\WindowsCE\wce400\armv4

Would it be safe to develop and debug on a CE 5.0 device and deploy to
4.2 via cab files?

I wrote a custom installer package anyhow that executes the cab files
via a script from a CF or SD card so we do not rely on visual studio to
do the deployment.

I wrote a small test program for this and it "SEEMS" to work ok thus
far.

Tommy

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <ptobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT com>
wrote in message No, the development environment doesn't allow CE 4.2 targets, except
[...]

Hi again, my device finally came to me and I could calm my anxiety: yes, you
can develop for CE.NET 4.2 with VS2005 without troubles.
I created my project for Pocket PC 2003, Compact Framework version 1. For
testing on the device (a Symbol 9000G barcode scanner) I craddled it and
selected "Pocket PC 2003 Device" on the VS toolbar and everything ran
smoothly. Even I can uncraddle the device and following the debugging
session via wireless networking without touching a key. Only the toolbar on
the Pocket PC 2003 emulator is shown at the bottom of the window, in the
real CE.NET device it is displayed at the top, like in desktop windows. Also
I should reserve space on the top of each window for the toolbar. The bottom
clearance for the windows remains the same 'cause CE.NET uses a taskbar that
is not present on the PPC emulator but which space is occupied by the
toolbar. Except for these details, all my fears where unjustified. Just I'd
like to use 2.0's templates to ged rid of all these ugly type castings....

Good luck
Sammy