PM Unread Count

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It appears as though there is a problem with the forum code on MySQL 5 that causes the unread PM count to rocket up.

If anyone has a silly number of unread PM's (i.e. 65000!) then please let me know in this thread and I'll fix it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've done a counter refresh, and I'll see if that does the trick - if not then I'll modify the code. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No huge amount but my user menu is telling me I have one new PM and I don't. And that message won't go away.

Last PM I received was on 24th Feb.

I have noticed recently that although I get e-mail notification of a PM, my user menu had not been showing the fact I had a PM.

Just to let you know :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try marking a message as unread and then read again, then let me know if it goes? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't appear to have that option because they've all been read - unless I'm missing something? :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you tick one of the boxes next to a PM, then at the dropdown box at the bottom of the page pick "mark as unread". If that doesn't work, I'll send a PM which you can try to delete and see if that does it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've changed your counter manually Flops, so that might have done it :)

I'm just putting this bit of code here for reference in case I need it myself sometime in the future:

Code:
UPDATE user set pmunread=(SELECT count(*) FROM pm WHERE pm.folderid=0 AND pm.messageread=0 AND pm.userid=user.userid)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If you tick one of the boxes next to a PM, then at the dropdown box at the bottom of the page pick "mark as unread". If that doesn't work, I'll send a PM which you can try to delete and see if that does it :)

Ah right, sorry, thought the drop down options were just for archiving, been a long time since I used that function.

All seems ok now :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi Ian, not sure if this is a problem, but it seems i have 65535 new private messages all of a sudden!
Never realised i was so popular.:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll fix that now ;) I'll have to change the code to fix this problem (long term) I think, as if new PM count problems are cropping up it can't be just an initial glitch from the new DB version.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
So far, the fix you carried out on mine is holding :thumb: but I see that Feckit's figure is exactly the same as my count was (65535) so we evidently are sharing the same fan-base ;)

Thanks again Ian :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A temp fix should be in place now :) I've got a "cleanup" script running via cron which updates the correct number of PM's for the sidebar, but if the number is crazy before the script has been run then it hides the result. I think this should work now until I have the PHP fix in place :)

If not, please do let me know :nod:

Ask a Question