<<Please Help Comp seems to have grown 55 years old in an instant>>

Zap

Reaction score
Since 23/12/05 7:37pm My computer has been running realy *!CRUD!* it takes 35 seconds to open something that took half a second yesterday (folder, document ect.) and im pretty sure i dont have any spyware since i have multiple Security shields and Ad-Aware that i ran 3 times as soon as the slow execution occured... nothing found so i dunno whats happened... Iv also reset computer 4 times and did the whole empty prefetch folder :|...

Please help...

Reaction score
What is the specification of your computer;

Processor
RAM
Brand ( If Pre-Built Factory)

:)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
also have you installed any new programs recently?? have you checked in task manager to see if anything is really eating resources and have you done a registry clean??

Reaction score
Zap said:
Since 23/12/05 7:37pm i have multiple Security shields and Ad-Aware that i ran 3 times as soon as the slow execution occured...Please help...

Having multiple security programs open at once often causes that problem. People often complain that their computers run incredibly slowly, when in fact they have McAffe AND Norton antivirus open at the same time. Make sure you don't have any programs like that, firewalls included, running from start-up.

For that matter, make sure you have generally as FEW programs running as possible at ALL TIMES. If there is a long stretch of icons at the bottom right of your screen, things like Quicktime auto-update programs or media managers of various descriptions, should all be removed from startup.

Then again, a slow PC is often evidence of a virus, so don't go closing ALL your antivirus stuff.

PS- Defrag.

EDIT: I always find it handy to sequencially close non-system programs one by one with task manager (ctrl-alt-del), which can help find a culprit.

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ditto to what imrie said, system spec and what programs you are trying to open would help, what anti virus, firewall, adaware scanners etc.. have you got ?

jaxx

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
ive recently got that diskeeper program

besides it doing a very tedious defrag at first, which is about a 1000 times more efficient than the windows one, it now constantly monitors the HDs and so far its been 100% defragged for a week!

superb

Zap

Reaction score
Ok, Iv done a defrag, Iv closed all progams but my internet conection and my antivirus/trojan programs.
Iv checked my available RAM at any given time and thats fine i have over 100,000 physical memory available and thats good (I guess), the CPU is going between 0-2% every few seconds, i havn't installed anything recently.

I use Spysweeper to block them damn feral cookies, Ad-Aware for general melting of the nastys and BitDifender 8 Pro Plus

I have no idea what its doing and at the end of that defrag it was all like 3,290 folders scanned 1 defragmented so i was like :| there...

EDIT: OK umm iv got pentium 4 2.60Ghz, 512mb RAM, Asus Motherboard (no idea what one)
EDIT v.2: Would spyware and crud in vaults be a problem cause i know my progams vault a few things... if i empty will they disappear or just go back into my PC ?

Last edited:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
hmmm hav u tried booting into safe mode tos ee if the same thing happens?? Also have you made any hardware changes recently?

Zap

Reaction score
No hardware changes have been made...
Only change iv made is my Internet Download manager (IDman) 30 free trial ended and iv uninstalled other than that nope and il restart in safe mood after my post

Zap

Reaction score
Ok... Started in safe mode and it works like brand new... so what does that mean ?
I have a program thats saoking up the execution speed ?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It could be a virus or spyware which is doing its thing and taking up all the CPU power. I suggest you run anti virus in safe mode but first disable system restore on entire hard drive so that the virus is not hidden from the program.

Zap

Reaction score
I think i killed system restor like 6 months ago lol and iv run BitDefender 8 Pro Plus twice and Ad-Aware SE 3 times its found nothing...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Too many spyware programs running at the same time could be a problem also just like too many anti virus programs cannot run simultaneously. Try uninstalling all but one and see if it works, suggest you have just the Microsoft Anti spyware installed and see if it finds anything.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
ccleaner is also a handy tool to use in this situation, it does speed up the system if you go into the menu and fix problems from there. Have you tried it?

Zap

Reaction score
Whats better change/remove programs or uninstall.exe ?
Also how do i make sure that system restore is off ?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
change/remove in my opinion is better, others may agree or disagree.

System Restore can be turned off and to reconfirm go back after rebooting and see if the checkbox is not checked for all the partitions

Ask a Question