Playing 320kbps

Reaction score
Ok won't go into too much detail

Been using Winamp for many many many years. I do like it, however over the past few years I have been having problems playing 320kbps

It sounds distorted when the full track gets going
I'm not sure if it's my sound card or a codec

I am currently using the onboard sound driver with my Sabertooth 990fx which uses;

Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound

Still sounds horrid.

Any ideas folks?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't imagine it would be Winamp causing the problems, but you never know. No harm in trying VLC player to see if that fares any better:

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html

Do you have the stock Windows audio drivers installed, or are you using the full Realtek ones (complete with system tray icon, etc...). If the latter, can you try disabling an equaliser/advanced settings in the system tray app.

Is it only 320kpbs audio that is problematic?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've also no idea what's causing the prob but quite a few years ago when I was using Winamp the makers stated they weren't making it anymore so I stopped using it.

I now use foobar and I've tried lots of them. Definitely my preferred audio player, it will also burn CD's from cue files should you so desire (you have to add the foo.burninate add-on to enable that function).

Might be worth a try, I liked Winamp a lot but all (some) good things come to an end.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah Winamp is dead. Not that I use it much anymore thanks to Spotify, but give MusicBee a go.

Reaction score
Ok i Did use VLC. First one I tried tbh.

No distortion whatsoever!

It seems either WinAMP is playing up or I have an incorrect plugin codec running
A shame I do really like WinAMP

Reaction score
Winamp?!??! I gave up on shortly after giving up on XP... Wow... was shocked to see a question about it... Brings back the days of commodore vic20s and amigas...

Ask a Question