An Audio Anomaly and Winamp

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, bear with me, but if you like your music on your PC, this may be worth reading.

On my media PC (Asus mid range board, AMD 5050e dualie 2.4Ghz, Nividia 256Mb 7300GT grafix; Asus Xonar D2X pci-e Soundcard; 2Gb 800Mhz DDR2 Memory) The onboard storage drive crashed about three months ago.

I had all the audio and video backed up on an external hard drive and replaced the onboard faulty drive and transferred all files back from external to internal. This was a somewhat lengthy transfer, seveal hours. In between I upgraded Winamp to the latest version and I have done ever since.

I have used Winamp for probably about 10 years now. I have also used another freebie software prog, dbPoweramp, for about ten years as well to convert audio files to mp3, both have always worked perfectly and I've always liked both.

When I played back audio files after the transfer, basically, they sounded crap. Present on lots of them was a kind of oscillation, a kind of 'pulsing' of the audio signal, but I couldn't listen to it.

I thought the lengthy transfer had corrupted the files so bit the bullet and wiped both audio partitions, both internal and externall and set about the lengthy process of converting around 1200+ albums from cda to mp3. So far I'm up to 'G'.

On playing back a few albums, I noticed the same effect, the oscillation. Disappointed, I endeavoured to find the source of the problem. I replaced the lead from the computer to the amp; tried a different channel on the amp (Cambridge Azure 640A 80wpc btw) and carried out a lot of analytical listening.

Some converted albums were ok, but most were not. Those recorded from vinyl at a lower audio level seemed best suited to playback.

So this evening, using Winamp, I transferred some of the bad sounding aalbums to my I-Pod and played them back through my Hi-Fi through the I-Pod dock. They sounded fine.

Then it occurred to me to play some music back through a different media player, an option which I hadn't considered before as I've trusted Winamp for nigh on a decade.

First I used Windows Media Player (within Win XP Pro) and all was good.

Everything I played back sounded great within I-Tunes.

Nero Media Player also played back audio files just fine.

Winamp made most everything sound awful.

So what am I to surmise?

I will have to do some more tests with Winamp on other machines but it is looking as if somewhere along the line Winamp may have fouled up when they upgraded.

This fault may, of course, be peculiar to my motherboard, I will have to try and pinpoint the anomaly.

I also have versions of Winamp going back at least five years so can try older versions.

I'm disappointed a great deal, as I really like Winamp's layout and user interface, but something is amiss.

Above all though, I'm glad I have decent audio quality again, I was getting really quite worried.

I'll report back if I find out anything else about this issue.

In the meantime, can anybody recommend a good audio player taking into account I already have I-Tunes; Real Alternative Player; Windows Media Player; Nero Media Player.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Installed Songbird, plays back fine.

Me having some trouble navigating it probably cos I'm tired and inebriated :D

It doesn't seem to integrate with Windows that well but there again the compilers say it's an ongoing thing...

Thanks for the link Mr Mad, a sober apraisal is called for methinks ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Try VLC media player, I use it regularly in Linux but the windows version is also available, very simple yet a very powerful multi-media player. It was developed with someone like you in mind;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have tried VLC Media Player (for audio only so far) it works well, audio quality is good.

But...I still haven't found a substitute audio player as pleasing to use as Winamp.

Winamp keeps it's seperate window shapes (VLC Player does not), has thousands of available skins and I just kind of like the way it's laid out and it's display. It really is user-friendly (imo) in a way that no other media player I've tried has managed to be.

It really is quite odd how Winamp disagrees with this setup.

Next week I'll be rebuilding my Media computer with a new case and motherboard.

Obviously a fresh install is called for, I will try Winamp again.

I'll post some pix and report on this issue.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Have tried VLC Media Player (for audio only so far) it works well, audio quality is good.

But...I still haven't found a substitute audio player as pleasing to use as Winamp.

Flops you are not the only one, yours truly also misses winamp as we probably both started using it same time 8 or 10 years ago, remember? I think we had a very good debate at that time at bitbenders this very subject, I think it was 2001 or thereabouts. :D

Anyway, I am also constantly seeking a player which I feel comfortable to use and like the interface, meanwhile VLC is what I am sticking to both in Linux and Windoze as I have yet to come across anything better that suits my requirements. In some ways we are alike, if you allow me to say so.:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php

Plenty of skins for VLC
nod.gif
You can even make your own
nod.gif

Ask a Question