Tascam US-122 USB MIDI interface plays only MIDI/ASIO files

Reaction score
HELP! Tascam US-122 USB MIDI interface plays only MIDI/ASIO files

Hi,

I have been using a Tascam US-122 USB-MIDI/audio interface for years now, but suddenly I get sound produced (via speakers or earphones) only in Cubase (5.1). In other words, it plays only MIDI/ASIO files. However, the strange thing is that I can hear the audio (wave) files in a song in Cubase but, when I try to edit them in Audition 1.5, there's no sound.

I also get no sound when playing MP3s or wave files in the normal way.

Is it possible that the Tascam US-122 has become faulty, or does this seem like a software problem? I tried installing the latest drivers from Tascam, but that screwed things up completely. I had created a Restore Point, so I was able to go back and keep working ... but only in Cubase.

I have checked my Windows control panel and my sound setup is OK and is set to the TASCAM. It's been like that for years, but what's changed it? I rang my Tascam dealer today. He said that it's not a problem with the US-122 itself. That's reassuring.

A friend suggested I download and install new codecs, which I've also done. All to no avail.
icon_sad.gif

Isn't that weird? I really need serious help...

Thanks in advance,

John.

PC (not MAC) + Acer laptop
Cubase VST 5.1 + Steinberg VSTi's
WinXP Pro
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.83 GHz)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
Tascam US-122
Rode NT3 mic
1.50 GB of RAM
200 GB HD plus...
Boss BR-900 portable studio, WHICH I WANT TO SELL IF I CAN GET A DECENT PRICE!
icon_smile.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guess what: I fixed it myself!
icon_lol.gif

I strongly suspect that the problem was caused by Windows Media Player 11. This virus-like beast provokes so much trouble, so I uninstalled it! You did what? Yes, Bean, I managed to do it despite Uncle Bill's efforts to prevent me. (In fact, he calls it a "rollback", but it's gone). For that I deserve an IT gold medal anyway. Yes, Bean.

I had one last go at 4.30 am a few nights ago, after about a week of struggling, on and off.

I must admit that it was the XP Troubleshooter-thingy that eventually got me there - having got rid of The Beast, I then checked the Windows Volume Controls. I re-set it to play via the TASCAM and checked the Wave play volume. It was not muted, but set to minimum. Result: No sound! I had not set it to minimum - probably Windows Media Player 11 had, via some unwanted upgrade from Uncle Bill.
icon_rolleyes.gif
(BTW, I do know how to disable those upgrades).

However, having raised the volume and got my sounds back, I found that I had now to just touch the volume control with my cursor to get sound for more than 1 MP3. Weird. Was it the Winamp Lite that I use that was causing this to happen?

Yesterday, I tried a Playlist in RealPlayer, and consecutive MP3s finally played.
icon_razz.gif
I then got rid of Winamp in all its forms (I like the old versions, which don't take an hour to open) and installed Winamp 2.95. Everything's now fine. And my Cubase VST 5x continues to work happily, so it definitely wasn't that ... thank God. Without Cubase, I'm a dead man!

Why have I written all this? Just so it's on record, in this and many other forums - it may help someone in the future. And I'll be immortal!

Remember: BEWARE of Windows Media Player 11...
icon_evil.gif

Enjoy your M-U-S-I-C...

John.

Ask a Question