[PL] PL2006 Program Submittals

Jim Scott

hmmmm. . . no new descriptions posted. . . nothing. . . nada. . .

************* Plan B *****************

I suspect the group will want to *nominate* a whole lot of programs that
aren't on the current list of elegible programs. Making that happen is
going to require some drastic changes in the format of the Pricelessware
List. The only viable option I see ATM:

Program submittals will require this information:

Category/Subcategory
Program name
Company name and/or Author's name
Ware description
ONE URL (maximum)

The 2006 Pricelessware List will look like the ACF pages - there will be
no detailed descriptions. Note also: there will be no PL2006 CD (not
enough information).

Comments please.

Susan

********************************

Below is a list below of the *108* PL2005 programs that do not have
posted descriptions.

ActivIcons
Adobe Reader SpeedUp
Aida32
AtNotes
AVIcodec
Batchrun
Blender
Burnatonce
Buttonz & Tilez!
Cacheman
CDBurnerXP Pro
Chainsaw
ChangeIcon
Columbine Bookmark Merge (CBM)
Crimson Editor
Cygwin
DAEMON Tools
Debian
Dependency Walker
DLL Archive
Eraser
Ethereal
Exact Audio Copy (EAC)
ExamDiff
Exifer
Extended Character Map
FileZilla
FileZilla Server
Font Magic
Free Agent
Free Digital Camera Enhancer
freeCommander
Frhed
FTPpie
GhostScript
GoldenSectionNotes
Google Toolbar
GrabIt
GSpot
Hamster
Hosts File
HTML-Kit
HTTRACK (WinHTTrack)
IEradicator
Inno Setup
JAlbum
jv16 Powertools
K-meleon
LFN-Tools (Long FileNames in DOS)
Lupas Rename (Lupas 2000)
Mailwasher
Maxthon (was MyIE2)
MemLoad
Memtest86
MinGW
Miranda IM
MotherBoard Monitor (MBM)
MozBackup
Mozilla
mp3DirectCut
MPEG Audio Collection (MAC)
MultiRes
MyAlbum
Neutron
nnCron LITE
NoteTab Light
OE-Quotefix
Outlook-Quotefix
Password Safe
PGP Freeware (was Pretty Good Privacy) (PGP)
PhotoFiltre
Pixia
PowerArchiver
PowerPro
Push That Freakin' Button (PTFB)
PuTTY
Python
QuickTime Alternative
Ragtime Solo
Real Alternative
Registrar Lite
Resource Hacker
Revelation
RUNit
Sam Spade
Script Defender
SharpDevelop
SoftCAT
SpaceMonger
Speakonia
Spider
Start-Up Monitor (Startup Monitor)
Startup Control Panel
SuperFormat
TClockEx
The Gimp
The Proxomitron
The Regex Coach
TightVNC
TMPGEnc
TopStyle Lite
TreeCopy
TWEAK UI
TypeItIn
Ulead Gif Animator
VirtualDub
Visit URL
Visual Thought
VNC
Weather Watcher
WinMX
X-Fonter
X-Setup Pro (was Xteq X-Setup)
XnView
Xplorer²
YahooPOPs! (YPOPs!)
ZoneAlarm (Zone Alarm)
Zoner Draw 3

******************

I'm sure it never used to be this complicated.
Didn't we just send the name of a program we liked, saying what type of
program eg email client.
Then we had a short period of good natured argument when certain Johns got
on their high horses about the meaning of free.
The we all proposed, seconded and voted (or was that before the argument?)
THEN came the business of getting down to fine details and drawing up the
list.
This way a lot of unnecessary work is landed on you and your helpers
producing details of programs which may not receive any votes at all.

miskairal

No changes needed.

NoteTab Light
Company: Fookes Software Author: --
(Liteware) (free)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP NOTES: A no install version is
available (v 4.9.2.2)
Languages: English
editor. Handle a heap of files with a simple tabbed interface. Search
files, strip HTML tags and format text quickly. Build libraries of text
macros to speed up your work
Home page:
http://www.notetab.com/
download page v 4.95 (2003-05-23) [ NoteTab_Setup.exe (1795 KB)] [
ntfree.zip (1796 KB)]
http://www.notetab.com/download.php
download page v 4.9.2.2 (2003-01-15) [ tiny_notetab.zip (953 KB)]
http://www.fookes.com/ftp/free/
(desc. rev.: 2005-09-03)

ncSkeet

Susan said:
hmmmm. . . no new descriptions posted. . . nothing. . . nada. . .

I tried to update PTFB, but the ftp download link doesn't work, and the
Home Page link still leads to the payware version. I Googled for any
more links to a last freeware version, but found nothing. What to do...?

This description is what is currently on the site:

Desktop

Button Pusher

Push That Freakin' Button (PTFB)
(Freeware) (last freeware version)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000
Languages: English
pressing utility. PTFB runs in the background - usually its only
on-screen presence is a mouse-shaped task bar icon. When a dialog causes
irritation, you simply tell PTFB which button should be pressed, and it
will handle the dialog in future. By default, PTFB is cautious - a
dialog has to be a perfect match for its hitlist entry before any
buttons will be pressed. But it can be set to be less strict, allowing a
range of similar dialogs to be handled from one hitlist entry. Main
Features: Simple drag-drop interface for adding buttons to the
"hit-list". Buttons will only be pressed once per appearance - no
pressing frenzy if button does not dismiss the dialog. Task bar icon for
easy access and notification of impending button press. Configurable
press delay and three methods of identifying potential targets.
Company: -- Author: Paul A. Roberts
download 1.06.4 (2003-12) (PTFB1064.zip) (461 KB)
ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/.disk0/filepilot/windows/desktoptools/ptfb/
Home Page ($ware version):
http://www.tlhouse.co.uk/
2005PL CD files: PTFB1064.zip
(desc. rev.: 2004-11-16)

ncSkeet

SECURITY

Firewall

ZoneAlarm (Zone Alarm)
(Liteware) (free for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use)
Windows OS: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP Win 98 (SE only).
Languages: English, German, Spanish
installed - no programming required. ZoneAlarm barricades your PC with
immediate and complete port blocking. And, then runs in Stealth Mode to
make your PC invisible on the Internet - if you can't be seen, you can't
be attacked. ZoneAlarm delivers simplicity without compromising your
security. A getting started tutorial explains controls and alerts to get
you up and running quickly. And, to keep you confident that you're
always protected, intuitive color- coded alerts rate security risks - in
real time.
Company: Zone Labs Author: --
Home Page:
http://www.zonelabs.com/
Release History, download v 6.0.667.000 (2005-09-06)
(zlsSetup_60_667_000.exe) (9128 KB)
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

(desc. verified: 2005-10-9)

miskairal

I had been trying to find this for quite some time and then remembered
to search for harmware instead of stile or harmwave. I kept ending up at
download.com or some name similar.

I finally found it here
http://www.harmware.net/
So I've changed the links. All else seems the same with no newer version.

sTILE (formerly HarmTile)
Company: HarmWare Author: --
(Freeware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP
Languages: English
small images that, when lined up adjacent with itself, makes a seamless
pattern with no discernible borders. It can do other things, but that
was (and still is) its primary purpose.
Home page:
http://www.harmware.net/stile.htm
download v 2.7 (Nov. 2003) [ 1.8 MB)]
http://www.harmware.net/bin/sTile.zip
download v 2.7 (2003-11- ) [ 1.8 MB) (with installer)]
http://www.harmware.net/bin/sTile.msi
(desc. rev.: 2003-12-30)

ncSkeet

TEXT

Editor: Notepad

NoteTab Light
(Liteware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP NOTES: A no install version is
available (v 4.9.2.2)
Languages: English
editor. Handle a heap of files with a simple tabbed interface. Search
files, strip HTML tags and format text quickly. Build libraries of text
macros to speed up your work
Company: Fookes Software Author: --
Home Page:
http://www.notetab.com/
download page v 4.95 (2003-05-23) (NoteTab_Setup.exe) (1795 KB),
(ntfree.zip) (1796 KB)
http://www.notetab.com/download.php
download page v 4.9.2.2 (2003-01-15) (tiny_notetab.zip) (953 KB)
http://www.fookes.com/ftp/free/
2005PL CD files: NoteTab_Setup.exe ntfree.zip
(desc. verified: 2005-10-09)

ncSkeet

SYSTEM UTILITIES

Start-Up Tool

Startup Control Panel
(Donationware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP
Languages: English
allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer
starts. It's simple to use and, like all my programs, is very small and
won't burden your system. A valuable tool for system administrators!
Company: -- Author: Mike Lin
Home Page: download v 2.8 (StartupCPL.zip) (59 KB) (StartupCPL_EXE.zip)
(34kb)
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
(desc. verified: 2005-10-09)

miskairal

CATEGORY:
File Utilities
SUBCATEGORY:
File Splitter
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged):
jrsplit[at]spadixbd[dot][com]

JR Split File (also known as jsplit)
Liteware
Win OS: 95/98/2000/NT/ME/XP
Language: English
into smaller files and create a standard .bat file that can be used to
reconstruct a copy of the original file. This function is useful for
breaking large text files into more usable segments or for breaking a
file into segments to fit on multiple diskettes. The original file is
left intact - the "split" files are created from the original.
Company/Author
spadix sofware
Home page
http://www.spadixbd.com/index.htm
JR split page
http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jsplit.htm
Download v 2.1 (jsplit.zip) (168kb)
http://www.convertjunction.com/download/jsplit.zip

miskairal

CATEGORY:
Web Design (???)
SUBCATEGORY:
Screen Ruler
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged):
info[at]spadixbd[dot][com]

JR Screen Ruler
Liteware
Win OS: 95/98/2000/NT/ME/XP
Language: English
accurately measure anything on your screen. This is especially useful
when measuring graphics, web page browser sizes or whatever. Screen
Ruler can display Pixels, Inches, Picas or Centimeters.
Company/Author: Spadix Software
Author's homepage
http://www.spadixbd.com/index.htm
JR Screen Ruler page
http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jruler.htm
Download (jruler.zip)(494kb)

miskairal

miskairal said:
CATEGORY:
File Utilities
SUBCATEGORY:
File Splitter
AUTHOR'S EMAIL ADDRESS (munged):
jrsplit[at]spadixbd[dot][com]
I think that email address should be
info[at]spadixbd[dot][com]

miskairal

PrimoPDF
updated link description to version 2.0 with file name and size changed.

Company: activePDF Inc. Author: Tim Sullivan
(Freeware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Languages: English
the PrimoPDF printer - it couldn't be easier! Within minutes, you can
create high-quality PDFs by converting from Word, Excel, PowerPoint and
virtually any other printable file type. Optimize PDF output for print
or screen. PDF, or Portable Document Format, is a unique, cross-platform
file format that allows for precise representation of documents. By
converting to PDF, you can rest assured that your users will see your
documents exactly as you intended, with all the fonts, formatting, and
graphics intact. Rapidly becoming the de facto standard for electronic
document distribution, PDF also enables you to add features like
security, bookmark navigation, web optimization, and more.
Home Page: download v 2.0 (2004-02-26) [ FreePrimoSetup.exe (9.77 MB)]
http://www.primopdf.com/
(desc. rev.: 2004-10-04)

ncSkeet

FILE UTILITIES

File Manager: Dual pane

Xplorer²
(Donationware) (free for personal and academic use) (Liteware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP
Languages: English, German, language pack for Czech, Spanish, Bulgarian
the philosophy efficiency through simplicity. It assimilates nearly all
the modern features of the win32 shell without the bloat. Among the
features you'll find: clean minimalistic, customizable interface.
seamless handling of virtual folders (FTP/webfolders/zipfolders etc).
extended file/folder details (MP3 tags, checksum etc). instant preview
of text, graphics and audio/video content. dual pane for easy folder
comparison & synchronization. powerful visual filtering and selection
engine. touch dates, split/merge and shred files. mass renaming. execute
text commands (or DOS scripts) on files. advanced NTFS support: hard
links, file comments etc. export file information as text for printing
etc. focus on usability with keyboard shortcuts, histories,
autocompletion etc.
Company: -- Author: Nikos Bozinis
Home Page:
http://zabkat.com/
program description:
http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm
download page v 1.3.0.2 (2005-06-16) (xplorer2_lite.zip) (860 KB)
http://www.zabkat.com/alldown.htm
2005PL CD files: xplorer2_lite.zip
(desc. rev.: 2005-10-09)

John Fitzsimons

It's certainly possible, though I've spoken to them about it before and
they've no idea whats going on either.
When Individual stopped being free, I had to revert to my ISP's feeds as I
either couldn't afford the others, or couldn't get them to work.

There are many "read only" news feeds you could try. Why not subscribe
to a half dozen, or more, and see if her posts appear ? You can still
post via your ISP.

Regards, John.
,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Susan Bugher

I'm sure it never used to be this complicated.

It was *more* complicated for those who did the bulk of the work. I've
been involved in preparing the PL web pages since 2002. The requirement
to post a program description prior to the start of nominations makes
the nominating/seconding process easier for all concerned (and less
prone to error). The voting process has also been streamlined.
Didn't we just send the name of a program we liked, saying what type of
program eg email client.

Yup, that included long "laundry lists" of programs, shareware,
non-existent programs, bad URLs etc. etc. etc.
Then we had a short period of good natured argument when certain Johns got
on their high horses about the meaning of free.
The we all proposed, seconded and voted (or was that before the argument?)
THEN came the business of getting down to fine details and drawing up the
list.
This way a lot of unnecessary work is landed on you and your helpers
producing details of programs which may not receive any votes at all.

Your suggestion involves less work for you but MORE work for me. Thanks
but no thanks. Eliminating program descriptions is less work for all
concerned - that's a *viable* solution.

FWIW - way back in 2003 I had helpers *after* the election - see:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/about2005PL.php#history
None of them were willing to volunteer a second time - it was too much
work. . .

This year my helpers are the group as a whole and the helpers have been
falling down on the job. ;) Many popular programs will NOT be on the
nominations list unless we make some changes.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

I tried to update PTFB, but the ftp download link doesn't work, and the
Home Page link still leads to the payware version. I Googled for any
more links to a last freeware version, but found nothing. What to do...?

dunno what you did but I googled for the file name: PTFB1064.zip ;)

http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/hard_disk/PTFB1064.zip
[...]

Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Sietse Fliege

Susan said:
This thread is for the submittal of programs to be considered for the
2006 Pricelessware List.

OE-QuoteFix
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005INTERNET.php#EmailAndNewsTool

Keep as is, no revision needed.

Quoting PL2005 page:

OE-Quotefix
(Donationware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP Requires OE 5.x/6.x
Languages: English
in numerous ways! Its main purpose is to modify message composition windows
on-the-fly to allow for correct quoting and to change the appearance of your
plain-text replies and forwards in general: move your signature, use
compressed indentation, have RFC compliant signatures, etc. But the second
feature is equally practical: OE-QuoteFix can instantly color quoted
passages (according to the level of indentation), fix bad quoting and
generally beautify messages as you view them in Outlook Express.
Company: -- Author: Dominik Jain
Program description:
download page v 1.19.2 (2003-08-21) (oequotefix1192.exe) (420 KB)
(desc. rev.: 2004-03-31)

Sietse Fliege

Susan said:
This thread is for the submittal of programs to be considered for the
2006 Pricelessware List. For

PowerPro

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005DESKTOP.php#DesktopManager

Keep as is, except for version # and download file (revised below)

Quoting PL2005 page (revised):
PowerPro
(Freeware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
Languages: English
tray icon facility. But this is just the start. With a little experimenting
with its configuration, you'll find that you can use PowerPro to change the
way you work with your Windows system. The source of its power is the way
PowerPro integrates three capabilities: Running commands: Tool bars, tray
icons, hot keys, mouse actions, menus, timer, scheduler. Controlling other
program's windows: Close, minimize, maximize, roll-up to caption, tray
minimize, position. Providing utility functions: Send keystrokes to
programs, run commands when windows first open, virtual desktops, clipboard
extender, keyboard macros, shutdown, show all folder files in a menu,sounds,
wallpaper, and screensaver activation and randomization.
Company: PowerPro Company Author: Bruce Switzer
Home Page: http://powerpro.webeddie.com/
download page v 4.3 (2005-05-30) (pwrpro43.zip) (2618 KB)
http://powerpro.webeddie.com/xdownload.shtml

Sietse Fliege

Susan said:
This thread is for the submittal of programs to be considered for the
2006 Pricelessware List.

Neutron

At this place I would have referred to the PL 2005 Organizers page

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005ORGANIZERS.php#TimeSynchronizer

However, this seems to erroneously load the PL 2005 Multimedia page.
So I looked up the Organizers page in Google's cache.

Keep as is, no revision needed.

Neutron
(Donationware)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
Languages: English
that retrieves the accurate time from one of several specialized time
servers on the Internet. Once the network time has been retrieved the
program can set your computer's clock to match it. Options in the program
enable you to automatically obtain the time from the time server and set
your clock appropriately at program startup. It is also possible to have the
program automatically exit after the time has been set.
Company: -- Author: Robin Keir
Home Page:
http://keir.net/
download v 1.03 (2002-03-12) (neutron.zip) (6 K)
http://keir.net/download/neutron.zip

Susan Bugher

Sietse said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
At this place I would have referred to the PL 2005 Organizers page

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005ORGANIZERS.php#TimeSynchronizer

However, this seems to erroneously load the PL 2005 Multimedia page.

ACK - new pages have been uploaded to the web site & mirror site.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware