Windows Vista Photos being corrupted.

GSX

Reaction score
Hi all.
Has anyone had experience of jpegs being lost using Vista? Photos I have copied to the hard drive, cd's etc. are fine but when looking at the memory card on the camera after viewing on the computer some pictures are corrupted and will not show.
I can still see them on the computer by putting the card in the card reader!?
I am running Vista home premium 64 bit. Not sure if it's a vista problem but it seems to have started since I got my new machine.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience of jpegs being lost using Vista?
Nope!! And trust me, I take a lot of pics ... ;)

Contrary to some, I never take my card out of the cameras, unless I need a new card 'cos it's full.

I use the cable that came with the camera to transfer the pics, and, will put the other full card into the camera to transfer its pics.

Always have the camera off while connecting the cable to the PC and or camera.

I have two cameras, they fortunately share the same cable, it's just a std mini D to USB cable ... I always use the camera to format/delete the pics and NEVER use the PC to do that. :nod:

I have a card reader. I would NEVER format my cards using it.

What is the reader?, what camera cards? Tried another PC?

:user:

GSX

Reaction score
Hi muckshifter. I'm using a Jessops card reader with various compact flash cards. I usually whip the card out and shove it in the reader because it's easier, saves hooking up the camera's mains lead etc.
Like you I just use the camera for deleting/formatting and have never come across this problem before when viewing with the card reader.
I may just copy all the pictures to the hard drive from the camera next time before I view them and see if this helps.
I wondered if vista was changing something on some of the files which prevented the camera from showing them?
Thanks for your help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I ain't got a mains lead, only battery chargers, but I make sure the battery level is sufficient. ;)

I wondered if vista was changing something on some of the files which prevented the camera from showing them?
Naw, I'd blame the reader ... I have an old reader, I have an old camera that don't attach to the PC directly, it's a bugger getting it to read the bloody card. :rolleyes:

I very rarely use that camera now, think it was 3 years ago. :D

[edit] oh, and I don't use "cheap" cards. ;)

:user:

Ask a Question