Phew I am Back

Reaction score
:bow: I am back, with no thanks to BT it took them a month to get my broadband sorted as the line always showed a fault. If you can call 0.2 mb download speed broadband and even then it was not BT who solved the problem but a friend who is a PC techi who took off the cover plate off the BT socket and pluged into the test socket. So I am now going to a company called Vfast who specilise in wireless broadband in the home counties so I should get 5 to 6 mb in this area they are subsudised by Kent County Council so we get it a bit cheaper. I am not crunching at the moment because of the bad BT line but will resume as soon as I get on Vfast. Well the move went well but as we have only one bed room so there is still a lot to get rid of which is realy hard for Sarah. The main thing is that the dogs have settled in well and love their walks in the country footpaths. Well I must sign off as a lot more to do including a bit of decorating.:cheers: Oh by the way I like the new site but cannot find the spell checker which is a nusance as I am dislexic and have to go through what I have written with a fine thooth combe several times with a dicsionary so appoliges if there are spelling mistakes.:D

CSB

Reaction score
Welcome back bootneck02, I wonder if phone companies have ever given a customer more than a year of good service, it's as if once they feel you'll stay with them. They'll no longer care what service we get and will only concentrate on grabbing new bees with advertisments which are sugar coated until the honeymoon period is over.

I don't like to be negative, but is the impression I get.

I don't even know what kind of speed I'm getting.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's good to see you Bootneck, welcome back. :cheers:

Glad to hear your move went okay and the dogs are enjoying their new country walks, sounds lovely for them - plus you and Mrs Bootneck too, of course. :thumb:

Sorry to hear about your BT trials and tribulations... they are pretty infuriating,:wall: but it sounds as if things are about to improve with the new ISP, so best of luck with that. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
WB BN02. :wave:

Bt eh? Yes, they can be a real pain in the ass. That said, now my lines been 'properly' sorted its been rock solid on a 3db/fastpath profile. :D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score

Welcome back Bootneck nice to see you again, glad the ooches have settled in, thats always the worst worry.

As for your speedtest linkk. I wouldn't rate that one to high. Speedtest.net as me at 10.4mb download. My ISP (TalkTalk has me at 14mb Download)Znet has me as 5.5mb ad your test has me as 2.6mb I am inclinedto go with Speedtest,net and my ISP, although I know my ISP are erm Billy ullshtters :)

Reaction score
Welcome back Bootneck nice to see you again, glad the ooches have settled in, thats always the worst worry.

As for your speedtest linkk. I wouldn't rate that one to high. Speedtest.net as me at 10.4mb download. My ISP (TalkTalk has me at 14mb Download)Znet has me as 5.5mb ad your test has me as 2.6mb I am inclinedto go with Speedtest,net and my ISP, although I know my ISP are erm Billy ullshtters :)

Hi Evan nice to talk to you again :bow: Here are the test results from Speedtest.com even worse than I thought:(

1019499783.png

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Hey Bootneck02, good to know you are back and settling down. Sorry to hear about your issues with broadband connection, keeping fingers crossed for you. :cheers:

Reaction score
:cry:I have just done a speed test using "mybroadbandspeedtest.co.uk" and here are the results. DOWNLOAD 451kpbs UPLOAD 249kpbs. What I do not understand is why all the speed tests have different results, I realise that it dose depend on traffic but the variation betewn them seems to be so great.:mad: 451 444Today 14:31451 kbps (56.4kB/s)249 kbps (31.1kB/s) Today 14:31451 kbps (56.4kB/s)249 kbps (31.1kB/s)

Hi hiHi

Today 14:31
451 kbps (56.4kB/s)249 kbps (31.1kB/s)

Reaction score
Hi Quadophile it is nice to be back with friends, how is the Lone Star State, have you been having the bad weather there snow, floods etc

Reaction score
Talking about `phone companys. Has any one read in the financial pages of the newspapers about AOL. It appears that they have lost many thousands of customers because of getting their bills mixed up,after buying out "Tiscali" Apart from other massive losses in the past. It could be that AOL is on the way out,or at least being taken over.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
AOL is part of Google so I think it unlikely they'll go under.

If they took over Tiscali I'm not surprised they have problems :lol:

Want some perspective?

Politics

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi Quadophile it is nice to be back with friends, how is the Lone Star State, have you been having the bad weather there snow, floods etc

Yeah we had some bad weather, and the Texans are not very comfortable managing it either. Last Friday when it was very cold and raining early in the morning with ice on bridges we had something like 800-1000 accidents on freeways, not because weather was tooi bad but because the idiots here don't know how to drive. When Texans are in their trucks or SUV's they think they are in their living rooms. :fool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
:cry:I have just done a speed test using "mybroadbandspeedtest.co.uk" and here are the results. DOWNLOAD 451kpbs UPLOAD 249kpbs. What I do not understand is why all the speed tests have different results, I realise that it dose depend on traffic but the variation between them seems to be so great.
Server load, traffic, your ISP's contention ratio, and many other things can cause slow/differing results.. Or if your still in the first 10 days of your new connection to an ADSL MAX Service it will fluctuate. - http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adslmax_explained.php

Your with BT right? Got the Home Hub i take it?

Plugged the router directly into the master socket? Better still the test socket? - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Can you find out your line stats, then i'll tell you what you should be getting. :)

Look for the following....
Attenuation
Signal to Noise Ratio (or SNR, Noise Margin or something similar)
Connection rate (or Sync Speeds etc)

EDIT: Try this - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#10
:)

Ask a Question