Phantom Ethernet Card

Bob Weber

I had a RealTec PCI Ethernet car on my computer when I had Windows ME. Then
removed the card when I updated to a new motherboard and 2.8GHz P4. Then
installed Windows XP Home and SP1 over my old ME. The device manager still
shows the RealTec card. I uninstalled and deleted it. When I startup my
computer XP says found network card and it installs it! How can I get rid
of a non-existant NIC?

Bob

Major Malfunction

Bob Weber said:
I had a RealTec PCI Ethernet car on my computer when I had Windows ME. Then
removed the card when I updated to a new motherboard and 2.8GHz P4. Then
installed Windows XP Home and SP1 over my old ME. The device manager still
shows the RealTec card. I uninstalled and deleted it. When I startup my
computer XP says found network card and it installs it! How can I get rid
of a non-existant NIC?
Are you showing two NICs or only one? If only one, and it works, I would not
worry about what your OS calls it ;-{) Even if there are two listed, as long
as the one your hooked up to works, you don't have a problem. I've seen this
type of thing with generic modems being called something else. As long as it
works, don't worry, be happy!

Bob Weber

I have a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem connected to my computer via USB and
is the one I use. My Network Places - Properties shows 2 lan connections,
the Realtek and the Motorola. The problem with this is the RealTek doesn't
exist and Windows tries to use it to connect to the internet first, then
after a 6-7 minute delay uses the Motorola and all is well.

Bob

*Vanguard*

"Bob Weber" said in news:LiZTb.171364$sv6.921951@attbi_s52:
I had a RealTec PCI Ethernet car on my computer when I had Windows
ME. Then removed the card when I updated to a new motherboard and
2.8GHz P4. Then installed Windows XP Home and SP1 over my old ME.
The device manager still shows the RealTec card. I uninstalled and
deleted it. When I startup my computer XP says found network card
and it installs it! How can I get rid of a non-existant NIC?

Bob

I know when I had a modem that had been installed (incorrectly) that it was
damn hard to get it completely uninstalled so the driver install would then
work. I found that I had to delete the .inf file for the modem under
%windir%\INF. I also had to determine which VEN* subkey under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum to delete which was for the
modem. Then on a reboot, the INF file no longer existed so Windows wouldn't
know how to set it up and the device was no longer enumerated in its device
list.

Since you make no mention of what network controller or card is installed in
your new setup, how do we know that you were using a RealTec and are still
now using a [different] RealTec?

Bob Weber

I really have egg on my face. I just now realized that my new mother board
has a built-in LAN which just happens to be a ReatTec. I just booted to my
BIOS and disabled the built-in LAN. The Realtec no longer shows up in the
device manager. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Bob

*Vanguard* said:
[...]

Menno Hershberger

If you have the choice, I'd use that instead of USB for my cable
connection. My experience has shown it to be more reliable.

"Menno Hershberger" said in news:[email protected]:
If you have the choice, I'd use that instead of USB for my cable
connection. My experience has shown it to be more reliable.

Yeah. If you have an onboard network controller to an RJ45 jack then use
that. No point in flooding your USB bandwidth with network traffic, printer
traffic, modem traffic, external USB drive transfers, and so forth. That's
like using USB for the mouse and keyboard when the devices and the computer
still have PS/2 ports you can use instead.