peahouse05

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thnk you for your replies. XP would only install when I got rid of virtually everything on the HDD. It did take a while, it's slow but it works. The 128Mb stick does not go into the slot as easily as the original 64Mb, I can see the motherboard bending but the cutouts line up and the side arms engage - I'll try again. you may have something here! The new sticks are PC 100 like the old one. they were supplied by an eBay seller but were in sealed packaging. I used Crucial memory service to upgrade my daughter's laptop but could not use it this time due to lack of information about the computer.
Regards
peahouse05

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OUCH! eBay ... well there are a few who are honest, I hope.

The 128Mb stick does not go into the slot as easily as the original 64Mb, I can see the motherboard bending but the cutouts line up and the side arms engage
I know ... it's a bugger, init. ;)

But you do have to use some 'force' to get them right in ... without breaking the MB or ram. :thumb:

Another indication that they are "seated" corectly, but maybe faulty, is when you restart the PC ... if seated correctly, but the ram is faulty, you should hear the MB beeping like mad at you ... if seated correctly but no beeps, could mean faulty or incorrect spec ram ... or the MB does not like it.

As I have worked on these (rubbish) MBs before I can tell you that they do work upto 256MB ram ... that is as far as I would bother with such a MB ... for XP to work a little more resposively you really need 512mb min & a CPU of 1ghz ... but hey! if you can suffer with it, carry on. :D

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
:D Thanks Muckshifter
There is no multiple beeping nor a single beep. I have now tried ECC and non-ECC memory from the same supplier. I think it is the MB. It was a £20 lesson but I have learned a lot mainly due to your help. I am going to take the MB out just for the experience and finally check the seating.
Cheers
peahouse05

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
:D Thanks Muckshifter
There is no multiple beeping nor a single beep. I have now tried ECC and non-ECC memory from the same supplier. I think it is the MB. It was a £20 lesson but I have learned a lot mainly due to your help. I am going to take the MB out just for the experience and finally check the seating.
Cheers
peahouse05
Hmmm, but the MB works with the 64mb ram ... sorry but eBay and computer components do not mix in my eyes ... I can send you a stick of ram, sealed, so don't take it as read that it is the board ... even if I hate them also. :D

By all means take the MB out of the case ... place it on some cardboard and try to seat the ram again, only use one stick to start ... do not re-assemble back into the case, but connect the power back up and see if it beebs.

Play with it ... if nothing else, you'll learn how to "build your own" when the time comes to do it for real, you'll know how. :thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
:cool: Dear Muckshifter
I like the idea of taking it all apart and connecting it up outside the case
Thanks
peahous05

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
:cool: Dear Muckshifter
I like the idea of taking it all apart and connecting it up outside the case
Thanks
peahous05
'Tis how I would "test" before assembly ... back then, it was not unusual to have something DOA (dead on arrival) ... nothing worse than building into a case, only to find you had to strip it all again. :D

Have fun. :thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
My pathetic MB

Dear Muckshifter

I intend to dismantle my old PC tomorrow and get it working outside the case as you suggested. The drive connectors fit only one way but those on the MB appear not to. What happens if any MB plugs are fitted the wrong way around?
Regards
peahouse05:eek:

muckshifter

Reaction score
You will find they to will only fit one way ... if you are still unsure, use a big black marker pen. ;)

Good luck. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
MB is on the table, everything attached and working as before:)
Hey! not fair ... is that with, or without the new memory?

:)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
stripping

without the new memory - that's for tomorrow. This is really good fun until I touch something I shouldn't. I keep the PSU plugged in with mains turned
off and touch the PSU case periodically.:D :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
without the new memory - that's for tomorrow. This is really good fun until I touch something I shouldn't. I keep the PSU plugged in with mains turned
off and touch the PSU case periodically.:D :D
LoL ... be careful, you can kill the PC ... "it", will not kill you. ;)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
stripping

Hello Muckshifter
I know the PSU is safe as it has an earthed cage around it. I never touch any pins or strips and earth myself to the PSU, plugged into the mains and switched off. The MB is on newspaper. I will try the new memory tomorrow but have no great optimism that it will work.
You have put me in mind of a new build, but tight and cheap, I don't need super speed or fantastic graphics. Do forum members sell on unwanted stuff?
Regards
peahouse05;) :cool:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
stripping

Deep breath, piece of wood under the MB memory slots, pushed very very hard with one stick of 128MB, it did not appear to go in any further than when it was in the case BUT IT WORKED! Repeated with second stick - System showed 252MB of RAM - the job's a good un. You were right - I think the MB must have been flexing.
Thanks Muckshifter and other posts:D :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
I have 1.25Gb of 4.2GB free - would a larger HDD help speed ?
peahouse05
No, not the 'speed' you want, that comes with a new system. ;)

Hard drives are storage devices and can impact the PCs speed at retrieving date so will take longer to get that data if overly full ... it will impact performance.

Your main 'problem' is a slow CPU anyway ... however, I would suggest trying to get a 40GB HD and fitting it would benefit the system to a point. Anymore than that is just throwing good money away.

You system running XP will be slugish, but a 40gig HD will at least give it room to breath. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
And when you are done with all these "upgrades" and find it is still as sluggish or just waisting money ... we'll then give it a new lease of life and install Linux on it.

Now that, my friend, is another chapter in the book. :D

Ask a Question