peahouse05

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well hello there :)

Yes, its possible to use a HDD as a slave drive - what is it you are trying to accomplish?

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I have a 4.2Gb hdd and thought I could improve performance by adding an old hdd as a slave. Thank you for your reply - I an new to all this!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You will not improve performance by adding a HD ... you may degrade performance with one that small.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, Mucks is right - something that small will quite likely be a much slower drive than the one you have at the moment so will slow your whole system down.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I have ordered a pc 100 256MB ram. The existing ram is Pc 100 60Mb. The computer is 'Energy' made in China. I hope the memory is compatible. What do you think?
I think I am only trying to achieve enjoyment by playing with the internals of a computer now I have seen how little is in there. I am obviously hampered by lack of experience but am very keen to learn. I welcome any advice.
My daughter has a laptop and I am thinking about networking the two by cable to share braodband and printer.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Hi peahouse, hardware's not my forte sorry so I can't help. but welcome to the forum anyway, it's good to meet you :D

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hi Peahouse, sound like Mucks has got you sorted already, but welcome to PC Review anyway!:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
My new memory is 256MB PC100 68pin. It does not work.The dealer has been helpful and offered to exchange it. He says I need 'non-ECC RAM. I am happy with this but could anyone explain what this means?
Cheers
peahouse05

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
PC100 memory

I have tried two sticks of non-ECC 128MB - they do not work. Could it be that the motherboard will only accept a second 60Mb stick?
Getting desparate
peahouse05:blush: :confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
I have tried two sticks of non-ECC 128MB - they do not work. Could it be that the motherboard will only accept a second 60Mb stick?
Getting desparate
peahouse05:blush: :confused:
Tell us a little more about your PC ... and we may be able to help.

;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Welcome , A word of advice ...
Mucks is very very good ...he was named Socrates in a passed life

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
HELLO MUCKSHIFTER
My Pc was bullt fora friend - no documention - no labelling. The processor is AMD k6 366Mz with two memory slots with PC 100 60Mb RAM in one. I am hoping to network it with :thumb: my daughter's toshiba laptop. Am I wasting my time?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm watching you Rush ... ;-)

Your PC is 60-80years old, in technology terms, but should be able to run two sticks of 128/100 memory ... a motherboard name would be a great help if you can find one written on the MB itself ... open it up and see ... ;)

That CPU was first introduced in 1989 when AMD were the underdogs ... nothing wrong then, with a K6-2

You actually have a 64mb ram chip installed, the onboard video is using 4mb ... take out the 64mb stick and try one stick of 128 only and see if it will work.

As for networking, that depends on the operating system on both machines and your skill in networking ... what is the OS of each system?

I fear you have a Glorified Typewriter and Internet Jockey and that is all. ;)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Muckshifter
A single stick of 128MB did not work. Also the original 64MB fitted on its own in the second memory slot failed to work. Moving it back did the trick.No combination of the old and new memory works either.
The motherboard is not labelled. There is one chip marked 'AMIBIOS AMERICAN MEGATRENDS' and large square chip near the CPU marked'TX PRO II.
I really only need the PC as a typewriter and Internet Jockey as the aim is to free my daughter's laptop from two printer cables - it is really being used as a PC.
I intend to use cat5 cable between sockets in two rooms as a crossover and Microsoft ICS. The laptop has XP and I have installed XP on the old PC.
Thanks again for the advice.
peahouse05:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Thanks for your reply Muckshifter
A single stick of 128MB did not work. Also the original 64MB fitted on its own in the second memory slot failed to work. Moving it back did the trick.No combination of the old and new memory works either.
The motherboard is not labelled. There is one chip marked 'AMIBIOS AMERICAN MEGATRENDS' and large square chip near the CPU marked'TX PRO II.
I really only need the PC as a typewriter and Internet Jockey as the aim is to free my daughter's laptop from two printer cables - it is really being used as a PC.
I intend to use cat5 cable between sockets in two rooms as a crossover and Microsoft ICS. The laptop has XP and I have installed XP on the old PC.
Thanks again for the advice.
peahouse05:thumb:
ah, a PCChips motherboard (Pretty Crap Chips) ... not very good. :(

XP on that PC must be like a slug in glue. I would only use Win98 or if the mem worked WinME

What is the 'new' memory called ... 128/100 or 128/133 if so, it should work ... can you give me a link to where you bought it? You do need to press really firmly to insert the memory.

Good luck. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
I'm suprised it installed.....
oh, it can be done ... ;)

Did it me'self on a Duron 600 ... not easy, unless you have a day free to do it. :D

Ask a Question